Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Where to start with baby?

kellyeliz

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 1:37 pm
How do I say Shema with my baby? Right now I lay down next to him and cover both our eyes with my hand while I say Shema for both of us (at night). I haven't done it in the morning. Also, tips for washing negel wasser with an infant? I find I just end up getting water everywhere.

Is there anything else I should be doing with him at the age of 4 months? He's starting to taste solid foods - not enough for a bracha, I'm sure, but should I say a bracha for him using "Hashem" instead of Hashem's name?

Thanks for any advice!

Elisheva

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 1:39 pm
whatever u do is good at any age. its all for chinuch. there is no right or wrong, tis jut whatever u feel u can do, its a good thing. I didnt wash my 4 month old negel vasser but Its a good thing, why not? solids.... mine started at 8 months and I always said the brocha first..... whatever u do is good.

withhumor

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 1:44 pm
I do the negel vasser at the kitchen sink, it’s much more efficient.

About shema, keep doing what you’re doing, it’s amazing!

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 2:13 pm
For washing negel vasser, you need the biggest possible sink and to lift the baby up and put their hands into the sink. I found by four months it was easier, since the biggest problem is unclenching their fists for long enough to wash negel vasser. I also learnt that when they're little you don't need to be particular about alternate washing but can wash each hand, one at a time, 3/4 times. (But ask your own LOR)

About brochos, it is not a good idea at any age to teach a brocho using the word Hashem, because you are just mixing the baby/child up. Saying a brocho for a little baby is assur (forbidden) because it is a brocho levotolo (unless you are making it also for yourself, obviously). The proper age to teach a child to make a brocho is, like almost all mitzvos, at an age when they are physically capable of doing so. When they start to be able to speak (at least say a few words/ say the end of words) then you should start to teach them, and to use G-d's proper name so they'll learn to say it properly. It is not considered saying Hashem's name in vain b/c it is for chinuch purposes.

Anyway, of course check with your own LOR. This is what I was told, but maybe other rabbonim hold differently.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 4:43 pm
Interesting thread!!
I was wondering about these questions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics