Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Elevated ASO Titers

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 1:04 am
Some background: My dd is 7 years old and is allergic to some foods. She has eczema. We are working with homeopathic remedies to try and reduce her sensitivities, but so far her eczema is still really bad. At some point it even got infected with what we believe to have been MRSA. I treated it basically with topical creams and the MRSA went away. But she still has outbreaks of p**** pimples every so often. (MRSA remains dormant in the body.)

The current situation: She has been complaining of fatigue, and while I first attributed it to tiredness, not feeling well, laziness, at some point I took her for blood work to rule out anything physical. The results came back with elevated anti-strep titers. Normal is up to 200, and she has 700. (This does not indicate a current strep infection; rather it indicates that the body is still fighting a past infection - and having a hard time of it... This is how the doctor explained it to me.)

The doctor's recommendation is to treat it with antibiotics for three weeks and then retest her titers. However, I am wary of going this route. She is a fragile child in general; we've been working years on building up her immune system, and I do not want to destroy all that with antibiotics. Additionally, I've done some research and asked around a bit too. It seems that it's not uncommon for the antibiotics not to work and then stronger antibiotics are needed, and then even stronger. Plus, it's also common for the titers to go down as long as the person is taking the antibiotics but as soon as s/he goes off it, the titers go back up. IOW, the person needs to remain on antibiotics indefinitely. Someone related to me that her son is on antibiotics for a year already (!). This is for sure not a course I would like to take.

I want to know if anyone has had any experience treating high ASO levels, PANDAS, rheumatic fever, or any other related ailment with alternative medicine. Please share what you did and if it worked. Thank you.

(I posted this in Natural Parenting first, but I am hoping to attract more posters, so I am reposting in this section.)

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:57 am
I would recommend looking into the gaps diet or the auto immune protocol for a natl way to heal auto immune diseases.

ange

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:47 pm
Omg! I can't believe there is another person out there who knows about gaps! I've been talking about it non stop and I feel like it just goes ignored!

Yes, gaps diet! You can use medicine to mask and layer on other symptoms of I'll health, but doing a gaps type diet will actually heal the body.

We had amazing results with it and as a matter of fact, a side benefit has been that our family has not needed antibiotics in over two and a half years. We no longer get strep, infections, etc. our bodies can fight off the germs better and we don't get sick with that stuff anymore.

If you really are committed to healing your daughter, don't be daunted by the diet...you get used to learning the ins and outs, and you will change her life.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 6:35 pm
I tried googling it and became very confused and overwhelmed.

Is there anyone who can guide me a bit more clearly on what the gaps diet involves? Whether an imamother or some kind of practitioner who is familiar with it?

ange

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:28 pm
I would suggest buying the book on amazon and going through it. The gaps website by dr Natasha Campbell mcbride has a lot of information on it as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics