Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Banana cake w/o banana taste

penguin

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:33 pm
Please tell me if you have a recipe that uses over-ripe bananas for some of the sweetening, but does not have a strong banana taste. I am thinking something like a spice cake, where there's enough other flavoring to mask the bananas somewhat.

I made a pretty good recipe last night, because we had some bananas to use up. Only to realize we're not all that fond of the banana taste!

(I buy them because I like them just before they're ripe, so I occasionally eat one if I catch it at just the right moment. DH doesn't care much, he will eat them when they're almost ready to throw out. But sometimes by mistake there are just too many for him to finish!)

(Hope I am not outing myself - I am sure there are some other almost-green-banana-eaters in the world, and some of them made banana muffins last night!)

mille

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:13 pm
Use them in place of eggs in your favorite cake recipe! It'll be a little denser, but if you do something like spice cake or chocolate cake, like you suspected -- the flavor of the bananas won't come through so much.

I also love bananas with a little green. Wink

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 10:59 am
I also like very ripe bananas ... but my kids like them in varying ripening stages ...

banana potency is usually so strong that you can infuse a banana-like flavour into a package of cookies sitting in the same bag for too long ... [kitchen tested by greenfire & sonny boy - not so much approved]

but if you want you should make yogurt smoothies with many other berries alongside the banana - think blackberries

also a cornmeal type cake would also soak up more of the flavour than say a basic flour banana cake ...

you can also make pancakes & put several slices of banana [& chocolate chips] while they are frying ... still taste like banana - but not banana cake

bamba

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 12:15 pm
I dont like bananas but I do like banana flavoured things. there is this cake from kosher by design a banana and choc chip with a crumb topping. its quite sweet and you really cant feel the banana texture or the taste so much. it is the best banana anything I have ever tasted!! dobt have the recipe but think its in kosher by design entertainer banana streusel topped cake..:-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins