Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Do expensive wash & sets last longer?
1  2  Next

goodmorning

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:36 pm
I'm using the price as a proxy for experienced, "good" sheitel macher.

I've noticed that when I've had my sheitel washed and set by a good sheitel macher, not only did it look better initially (compared to cheaper jobs) but it also held its style longer. It may be completely coincidental, but I'm wondering -- have you noticed a difference in the amount of time that your sheitel has held its style based on who styled it? It may be paying more if it also lasts longer...

lkwdmommy

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 2:33 pm
I have generally found this to be true.

newly

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 2:42 pm
Definitely!!! My set holds for weeks as opposed to hours when I use the more expensive sheitel Macher.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 2:45 pm
Just want to post here that not everyone who offers wash & sets knows what they are doing! Someone recently told me that she gave her brand her shevy to a well known person to do a wash & set... it came back such a mess that she had to pay to redo the cap (and she is a newly wed!!). Paying extra to wash it at a well known, reputable shaitel macher is best, especially if it's the same place you bought it from because then she will stand behind her product!

monseychick

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 2:58 pm
My 14 year old niece does my sheitl for free.,.. It lasts longer and looks nicer, than her mother and sister's sheitl even though they go to BP and spend 100$ each time

They think I am just being nice to my niece and letting her enjoy herself

MamaBear

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 4:23 pm
Whoever uses the higher heat setting lasts longer. Wink

zohar

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 4:27 pm
My sis works for one of those expensive shaitel machers ($80+ for wash & set) but when she does it at home charges $35. So your getting the $80 quality for only $35.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:44 pm
zohar wrote:
My sis works for one of those expensive shaitel machers ($80+ for wash & set) but when she does it at home charges $35. So your getting the $80 quality for only $35.

Wowee! I was thinking 35 as the high end, and 20 as the low end. I get a great wash and set for $30 by the salon where I bought my sheitel.

Happy18

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:04 pm
I find that it is worth paying more for a reputable sheitel macher. The price doesn't need to be insane, but the person needs to be reliable.

zohar

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:53 pm
sky wrote:
Wowee! I was thinking 35 as the high end, and 20 as the low end. I get a great wash and set for $30 by the salon where I bought my sheitel.

It depends where you live. She is located in brooklyn. Here in lakewood, an established shaitel macher will charge $35-40 with some really fancy ones charging up to $60 (ironicaly these salons usually have young trainees doing most of the work) and you can get wash and sets for 20-25 from new upstarts who are trying to build up a clientele, they will eventually go up in price though.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 10:24 am
MamaBear wrote:
Whoever uses the higher heat setting lasts longer. Wink

Pardon my utter ignorance in this matter, but is this true? This may actually explain the phenomenon.

MamaBear

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 5:50 pm
I don't really know if it's true but there's no magic involved in any of this. Slightly damp hair may hold the curl better. Dirty hair for sure does. But really the higher the heat, the longer you hold it on the hair, the longer lasting and better the curl. Maybe just taking their time helps and the cheaper women rush the job.

Logically though, there are only so many different things these expensive sheitel machers can do, right?

Anyways, I was a child of the 80s....we know all about big hair and curls Wink

MamaBear

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 5:52 pm
Also, I have a cheaper sheitel and I (and my sheitel macher) aren't afraid to use heat/a curler on it. Because it's cheap I'm not scared of killing it/frying it. So I'm always happy at how it holds a curl. But my more expensive one might hold a curl too if I was brave enough to let heat touch it for more than a few second.

So I guess hold the heat, love the curl and set.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 7:27 pm
P.S. I do not know what kind of a style you have, but you may need to put in rollers at home / pins in certain places. Some styles don't hold as well and need a little help. Also, other sheitels hold better (for example a shevy holds better than a kiki).

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 8:56 pm
My sheitel isn't curly ... just a flip in at the bottom. By "set" I meant (did I get the terminology totally wrong? Can you tell that I am in way over my head? Very Happy) just the blowing straightish and the flip in -- depending on the sheitel macher, it has either stayed smoothish for a while or seems to become very wavy/the bottom flips out right away. Not sure if I'm describing this correctly. Would heat matter for this?

(To be very clear, I can think of several other factors that may have accounted for this. I'm just curious as to whether there is anything to the idea that jobs done by people with more experience have more staying power.)

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:03 pm
goodmorning wrote:
My sheitel isn't curly ... just a flip in at the bottom. By "set" I meant (did I get the terminology totally wrong? Can you tell that I am in way over my head? Very Happy) just the blowing straightish and the flip in -- depending on the sheitel macher, it has either stayed smoothish for a while or seems to become very wavy/the bottom flips out right away. Not sure if I'm describing this correctly. Would heat matter for this?

(To be very clear, I can think of several other factors that may have accounted for this. I'm just curious as to whether there is anything to the idea that jobs done by people with more experience have more staying power.)

1. Jobs done with people who are experiences are better because most of the time (not always, as there are exceptions), these people who better products and do not abuse the hair/cap. Color stays better with the more professional sheitel machers.

2. The flipping out at the bottom has a lot to do with the length. If it's hard for you, you could chop it shorter and it will be easier to care for (will stay flipped in although flipped out is style now).

3. You could put in rollers when it's not on your head so that the flip will stay in.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:06 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
1. Jobs done with people who are experiences are better because most of the time (not always, as there are exceptions), these people who better products and do not abuse the hair/cap. Color stays better with the more professional sheitel machers.

2. The flipping out at the bottom has a lot to do with the length. If it's hard for you, you could chop it shorter and it will be easier to care for (will stay flipped in although flipped out is style now).

3. You could put in rollers when it's not on your head so that the flip will stay in.

Yeah, I've been thinking about cutting it.

I am awful with rollers. Tried it once and ... well, not in such a rush to try it again. Smile

Thanks for your time in answering these questions, by the way!

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 10:23 pm
BTW, I do not mean hot rollers, just the regular round ones that hold hair in place.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 10:37 pm
the next time you go ask the sheitel machur to pin it on a foam head and set the bangs. She should use pin curls and pins to get the bangs to lie nicely. Ask her questions about it. She explained to me about not making marks, making the hair go the wrong way. When I do it lasts so much longer and looks much nicer. After a while when it falls I can't do it anymore, but it definitely helps in the beginning.

monseychick

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 10:40 pm
MamaBear wrote:
I don't really know if it's true but there's no magic involved in any of this. Slightly damp hair may hold the curl better. Dirty hair for sure does. But really the higher the heat, the longer you hold it on the hair, the longer lasting and better the curl. Maybe just taking their time helps and the cheaper women rush the job.

Logically though, there are only so many different things these expensive sheitel machers can do, right?

Anyways, I was a child of the 80s....we know all about big hair and curls Wink

Ah the 80s, when the sheitls all had that bullet proof fake look
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels