Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Snoring 2 year old

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 7:44 pm
So... My 2.5 year old started snoring like a man recently. To worry or not?
My husband has mild sleep apnea so I kind of am worried.
Besides tht its annoying to have 2 ppl snoring every night!

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 7:49 pm
I would definitely speak to the pediatrician if this continues.

momX4

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 7:53 pm
Go to an ENT to check his adaniods and tonsils.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 8:44 pm
My niece had her adenoids taken out and it helped. Speak to your ped.

Bitachon101

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 9:06 pm
Thanks all...
Do u think I need a whole doc appointment or just a phone call to ped?

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 9:27 pm
Appointment. Does your child have toileting accidents? I recently learned that children with sleep apnea often cannot control their bladders well because they are so tired. Something to watch out for.

busydev

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 9:27 pm
id call and take it from there (good chance they will have you make an actual appt tho)

Bitachon101

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 9:34 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:
Appointment. Does your child have toileting accidents? I recently learned that children with sleep apnea often cannot control their bladders well because they are so tired. Something to watch out for.

He's in diapers still. We're working on toilet training practice (he likes to "try" but hasn't gone yet) so I won't be able to look out for tht yet.
I think I'll give doc a call on Monday.
Its really irritating tho sursprisingly right this minute he's not snoring. (Tho he was while he napped today)

suzyq

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 8:06 am
Make an appointment with an ENT. Until 2 weeks ago, my son snored like crazy. I had an appt with the ENT for another reason, but happened to mention the snoring - the ENT said his adenoids are inflamed and gave us a nasal spray. Since starting the nasal spray - no more snoring! It's really amazing and it's helped other issues as well. Definitely get it checked out.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 8:14 am
My son was also snoring and never slept through the night because he'd wake himself up and need help going back to sleep. ENT prescribed nasal spray, but it didn't really help, so next step was adenoids out. The doc said they were even more enormous in person than they were on the scope. Since then, he has not woken up once in the night (except for illness or nightmares, which bh I can count on one hand), and it's been nearly a year. His speech has also improved a lot since then. Definitely talk to an ENT.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 8:59 am
my 3 year old was also snorting and whistling in his sleep, took him to the ENT. In general, adenoids continue shrinking until age 5, but turns out my son is also allergic to dust and house mould (which the ENT diagnosed through a blood test) - we had a nasal spray to deal with immediate swelling and then got hypoallergenic pillow case and mattress cover and a blanket which I stick the whole thing into the washing machine for regular hot washes.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
My son was also snoring and never slept through the night because he'd wake himself up and need help going back to sleep. ENT prescribed nasal spray, but it didn't really help, so next step was adenoids out. The doc said they were even more enormous in person than they were on the scope. Since then, he has not woken up once in the night (except for illness or nightmares, which bh I can count on one hand), and it's been nearly a year. His speech has also improved a lot since then. Definitely talk to an ENT.

simular situation here. ENT was able to see adaniods by looking into DS's throat, didnt need the "up the nose" tool. He was shocked how big it actually was. Tonsils were removed as well. Sleep was never an issue since then.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 10:10 am
I was concerned that an ENT would be too quick to rush to surgery on my DD so I actually started with a pediatric pulmonologist instead - problem is now resolved using medication - no surgery necessary.

octopus

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 11:35 am
I used dr. scott rickert in nyu in manhatten. he didn't jump to surgery right away. he first suggested nasal spray. the nasal spray didn't work for us, and we opted for surgery, but I liked it that he gave us an alternative to surgery first.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:21 pm
octopus wrote:
I used dr. scott rickert in nyu in manhatten. he didn't jump to surgery right away. he first suggested nasal spray. the nasal spray didn't work for us, and we opted for surgery, but I liked it that he gave us an alternative to surgery first.

I posted at 10:14, that's who we used, he was great! And yes, we liked that he wanted to try the spray before jumping into surgery. He also told us that the tonsils would be game-day decision, as he wasn't as sure about them coming out as he was about the adenoids. Sure enough, when he got to the surgery, he decided to leave the tonsils alone.

Bitachon101

Post Sat, May 03 2014, 11:56 pm
Spoke to doc, didn't think needed to come in or be concerned. Said it could be a cold that just lasting a few weeks.
Said to wait it out another few weeks and see if he still snoring.
The snoring seems to be less now but still slightly there... Should I skip the doc and just go ENT or should I do as he said and wait it out? Is enlarged adenoids dangerous?

chani4

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 12:34 am
Bitachon101 wrote:
Spoke to doc, didn't think needed to come in or be concerned. Said it could be a cold that just lasting a few weeks.
Said to wait it out another few weeks and see if he still snoring.
The snoring seems to be less now but still slightly there... Should I skip the doc and just go ENT or should I do as he said and wait it out? Is enlarged adenoids dangerous?

I highly recommend going to an ent. I just did with my 2 year old who has been snoring. She said it wasn't dangerous unless she was having sleep apnea. They will run tests to see if it is enlarged adenoids and give you all your options. It's a lot of clarity
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics