Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on groceries a week?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sheshycoco

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 9:52 pm
for 6 people it isn't that much, also remember, depending on where you live, NY is pretty cheap on food compared to most places, we are now in chicago, where the prices are higher, plus there's tax to pay on food, then there's baby food and formular, which is also concidered food, I find fish is the most expensive, unless you are talking about cans of tuna, meat isn't that bad, and dairy is expensive too. Life is expensive, and food is the most important thing to spend money on, aslong as you're not eating out every night, by having a good supply of fruit and vegetables, generaly gets the kids distracted from junk food most of the time. The french yoghurts are a fotune here 6pkt for $6.19 plus tax, so that I do supplement, because it's way too much.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:45 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:
No NO, you do not understand...

They give u two cards with two names right??

So one name is yours, the other name is someone else..

I do that. although I'm a little sore bout it as I never get to go because friend is too flaky to take me (she's great in a real emergency but this isn't something she's able to do really) so I've used my card twice in the 9 months or 10 months I've had it. Oh well. Theoretically it's a great idea though!

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:48 am
getting ready prepared food can really up the bill. since you work you could try to make meals in advance and freeze them. Take up chunks of time and you can make a week or meals maybe even two weeks of meals in a large cooking session. There's books that help you do this. That and lessening the nosh could really make an impact.

raizy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 7:28 pm
ALOT!!!and too much!! LOL Crying

shoy18

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:

oh - and I try to limit trips to costco as I buy lots of things we dont need.

I am sooo good in costco I never ever buy anything I dont need there, I go for specific items and that is it!

I think most of my grocery money goes to meat and chicken, I cant stand the big pieces of chicken cutlets I buy the thin ones, and thick steaks....

raizy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 7:47 pm
u ladies are really very good savers. that all I can say. how do u live with no meat and chicken all week. how can kids grow and thrive with only milky and fruit and veg. ?children really need all the food groups to grow. and they need meat and chicken for their brains to grow. they need the fat. protien is very important for them.

so how do u do it on 100 or 200 a week. I will not begin to tell u how much I spend. and I dont buy any junk food . like candies but I do buy snacks for the kids like chips pretzels and cookies. for lunchs and parks . also juice drinks for kids lunches cost a fourtune. now dont tell me that my kids should drink water all the time. itss not gonna work. they drink one water bottle but the other drink is usally juice.

I dont include household goods in the "food" bill . why do u add in your formalla and diapers etc. that is in the baby bill.

what happens if one week u dont have enough money are u gonna scrimp on diapers and formalla?? I am being sarcastic here. dont yell on me.

and in my food bill the fish and meat is seperate here. u get it in two different stores. so grocery alone cost a fourtune. and yes I live in a town far away from n.y. where everything is supposely cheaper.

because when u convert it to cad money it doesnt come out that much cheaper.
like a box of ceral in n.y. would cost 4 dollars in cad would be 5 so what u are really saving is less then 50 cents not really worth it.

momto4

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 8:01 pm
my husband and I actually met with a financial planner to figure out how to budget oursleves. based on our family size he broke down for us the amounts we should be spending on everything from bills to food to household expenses etc. he gave me a $300 limit on food a week. we have four children. I usually dont end up using that much but there are weeks that I do when I have lots of company for shabbos. I think on average its probably around $200-$250.

bashinda

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:02 am
Raizy: I calculatd my grocery bill by averaging how much I spend at the butcher, the grocery and the fruit/veg store. I don't get the seperate baby bill. I didn't include diaper costs but formula I consider part of my grocery bill. I don't understand your question. If formula and diapers are on your budget why would there be a problem? Also I don't understand why it's more expensive if you buy your meat and fish in different stores. Less convenient yet but why more expensive?

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:50 am
A. my kids eat fish and sometimes meat at school

B. Dinner is usually something quick like pasta and fruit/veggies.

Just the way life is when u have no money, u have to limit it. I make chicken for shabbos, usually tuesdays they have meat at school so we have leftovers from shabbos. (guess with no man in the house we have ALOT of leftovers!!) My youngest is going through a chococolate and peanutbutter sandwich only faze, and cucumbers and carrots. My middle child wants cereal almost every night. They are kids, u know?

ssbarnes

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 6:30 am
I do grocery shopping 2x a month. I spend $150 each time. That is all we can afford right now. We are a family of four.

Baruch Hashem we have a nice sized piece of property that we can grow on. We have a garden 15' x 30'. We grow our veggies & strawberries. I also have a small herb garden right by the back door. We also have 12 fruit trees.

I do all my baking from scratch (including bread).

We are able to get our meat in bulk directly from the wholesaler.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 6:36 am
I'd like to say $125 a week, but sometimes it's more like $75 and other times more than $150. We're four adults, basically - two older teens and DH and myself.

I am at the grocery store a lot and see what ppl buy - it's a lot of rolls, not sliced rye bread, a lot of nosh and cakes, and certainly a lot of soda, frozen foods, disposable paper goods, etc. - all expensive stuff. I suppose you can rationalize that this way they don't have to pay for help to clean up, but it's still $$$$$$$$

amother

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 6:52 pm
I think that it is so important for kids to be eating nutritious meals. Pasta is pure junk, my mother never let us have that for supper. We always had to have chicken or meat plus a vegetable and some starch.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 7:00 pm
thanks to amother!!

I really feed my kids junk?? embarrassed

Well if u can figure out how to budge for me... I do the best that I can, honestly mykids eat more of the fruits and veggies than the pasta.

But when your living on pennies, and the food pantry does not have kosher meat, your stuck with what you have. g-d willing when my degree is done and I ahve a steady salary, then we will hve the home made healthy meals. BTW pasta I use is not the regular pasta.. It's only the whole wheat natural pasta, because B"H that is avail at the pantry.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 7:23 pm
I am glad somone brought up this topic, because at the present I am trying to figure out a way to save money is there anyone here that lives in Toronto and has a membership at Costco or Sams club or the like, I was wondering if they find that it saves them any money (that is with having to pay for the membership).

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 7:37 pm
I don't think pasta once in a while will hurt kids. MM is a nurse, she knows best !!!!!!!

bashinda

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 8:12 pm
MM, do not get upset. There are worse things than pasta especially if you balance it with some veggies. Yes it would be nice to have more protein but protein is expensive even if it's tuna and we can't have too much tuna anyway because of the mercury scare.

too much meat isn't that great either. It's all about balance and moderation.

MM, you're a single mother and you're raising 3 kids. I grew up mainly in a divorced household with a single mom who had to work fulltime. You're working and going to nursing school. I couldn't do that! I'm not working and I usually try to have balanced protein and always have a veggie with meals and guess what, it doesn't necessarily always happen.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 28 2007, 8:24 pm
Some pasta does have egg it in. That's protein. But don't they say Americans gets four times as much protein as they need anyway?

spinkles

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 7:03 pm
We don't eat fleishigs/fish during the week, and we get plenty of protein. Protein = chains of amino acids. The best proteins have the most amino acids in them and are called "complete." Eggs are the best in terms of this, followed by meat/fish. Whole grains, beans, nuts, and dairy contain incomplete protein (some of the amino acids, but not all of them). But by eating whole grains with beans, or whole grains with dairy, or beans with dairy, etc., you combine their respective amino acids and get a complete protein, just as if you were eating fleishigs.

So a whole wheat bread and peanut butter sandwich has great protein. Brown rice with some melted cheddar and oregano. Chili and cornbread. Etc. etc. WIC gives tons of milk (I know because we were on it for several years), so most people with limited funds can serve a meal like ww pasta and vegetables alongside a glass of milk and have a perfectly healthy, good, nourishing supper. Mitzvahmom and anybody else in a similar situation, please don't worry at all!!! You're doing great!!

Seraph

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 1:55 am
I try my best to spend under 150 shekel on food per week.
Last week I spent 70 shekel and I was so proud! (This includes shabbos!)

Beans have protein. So do nuts. And rice is also nutritious, as well as cheap!

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 3:16 am
Between NIS 400 - NIS 800 depending on whether I'm making shabbos or going away and whether I am buying diapers. Feeds DH + DS.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics