Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on groceries a week?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

binah918

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:45 am
For me and DH: We spend about 500 NIS once a month at the super. Plus every week we pick up fresh fruits/veggies and dairy at the makolet, averaging 60 NIS each week. Do the math, it comes to abou 185 NIS per week.

gryp

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:19 am
Pasta is pure junk? Huh? I can think of plenty worse things than pasta! I don't consider that junk.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:49 am
GR wrote:
Pasta is pure junk? Huh? I can think of plenty worse things than pasta! I don't consider that junk.

I'm with u. I serve DD organic, whole wheat pasta for dinner cuz she won't touch chicken or meat. No, I don't either think it's junk. Confused

bonzie

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 12:23 pm
breslov wrote:
I try my best to spend under 150 shekel on food per week.
Last week I spent 70 shekel and I was so proud! (This includes shabbos!)

Beans have protein. So do nuts. And rice is also nutritious, as well as cheap!

Wow! 70 shekel on a weeks grocery thats amazing! How many in your family?

I personally had a hard time spending under 400 shek, but that was with meats and chickens, shabbas food, and paying for delivery

Seraph

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 12:39 pm
bonzie wrote:
breslov wrote:
I try my best to spend under 150 shekel on food per week.
Last week I spent 70 shekel and I was so proud! (This includes shabbos!)

Beans have protein. So do nuts. And rice is also nutritious, as well as cheap!

Wow! 70 shekel on a weeks grocery thats amazing! How many in your family?

I personally had a hard time spending under 400 shek, but that was with meats and chickens, shabbas food, and paying for delivery

Its just me and my husband for now. And I don't buy anything thats not an absolute neccesity for now. Btw, the max I think I've ever spent on a weekly shopping trip was 200 shekel. (I'm not talking about stocking up shopping, like after pesach, or when we first moved into the apt.

workingmom3

Post Wed, Jun 06 2007, 10:43 pm
Mitzvahmom you should give your kids eggs - they are great proteinand are also by far the cheapest protein . Also lentils are great - and yes kids will eat lentils! I make a delicous lentil soup that my kids love.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 7:11 am
to everyone who is not serving meat/chicken/fish during the week - please, if you are pregnant, splurge on yourselves. I have a friend - when she was preg with her first, they understandably didn't have a lot of $$$ so they lived on rice, beans, veg etc - and her baby was born with a physical deformity - not major, but still... as well as having certain learning difficulties. now, not my words, but hers: she is sure her unbalanced diet was a contributor to this, and still feels bad about it.

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 11:37 am
Is she sure that it was because of her diet? Was she not taking any vitamins?
Sometimes, as mothers, we blame our childrens' failings on ourselves, when that might not be the real story.
I'm sure there are vegetarians that have had healthy pregnancies.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
I think that it is so important for kids to be eating nutritious meals. Pasta is pure junk, my mother never let us have that for supper. We always had to have chicken or meat plus a vegetable and some starch.

Pasta isn't pure junk. . . it's a carb and can be part of a balanced diet.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 11:50 am
The Barilla Plus pasta is quite healthy - multigrain flour, full of protein and fiber.

Also, make a dairy, milk-based soup - (potato, zucchini) - get veggies and protein in again and pretty inexpensive.

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 11:53 am
I'm so glad this was brought up. It's me,dh, toddler and bil who's a huuuuge eater - aged 14 and I spend about $130-165 a week. I feel like I can do better but my grocery situation is complicated (for another post)

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 12:09 pm
OK - Here are seven cheap and healthy meals:

1. French Toast (whole wht bread), fruit & cottage chs. on side
2. Pasta/Cheese Sauce, veggies on side
3. Quiche with homemade crust (can be partially whole wht, no hydrog oils)
4. Tuna or egg sandwiches or tuna patties
5. Soup or Stew - uses minimum meat, lots of veggies, some beans and barley or other thickener
6. Chicken pot pie/Shepherd's pie: mashed potato or home-made crust: lots of veggies, minimum meat. Easy way to use up leftovers
7. Deli salad: use deli ends from butcher, cut up in cubes, mix into garden salad, SO easy

I buy a package of chicken soup bones each week and after cooking it, you wouldn't believe all the meat I can pull off the bones. I put it all into the soup or make a chicken pot pie or chicken salad with it.

Try this to save $$$ at grocery:
- make one meal a week using up something in the pantry - nothing to buy
- only go shopping with your weekly menu in hand - just buy the ingredients you need and nothing else
- substitute home made for prepared foods. THis takes time and isn't easy if you work outside the home.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
to everyone who is not serving meat/chicken/fish during the week - please, if you are pregnant, splurge on yourselves. I have a friend - when she was preg with her first, they understandably didn't have a lot of $$$ so they lived on rice, beans, veg etc - and her baby was born with a physical deformity - not major, but still... as well as having certain learning difficulties. now, not my words, but hers: she is sure her unbalanced diet was a contributor to this, and still feels bad about it.

It's quite possible that there was no connection. She could ask the doctor or do some research into the causes if it would put her mind at ease. Beans contain protein, so it's quite possible that she was getting adequate nutrition.

loveit

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 3:07 pm
Wow, I am so impressed with how little many of you are able to spend on groceries. Either I live in an expensive area or I just haven't figured out how to shop well. It's just my husband and I so far and we spend at least $80-100 a week. Usually a bit more if we're having a lot of guests. I buy a lot of meat, I have a hard time considering a meal a meal without meat. In addition to our groceries, we go out to eat a lot because we have som uch going on, neither of us want to think about cooking. A couple of times I have tried to be really conscious about how I spend or what I buy at the store, but I can't seem to get the same items for any less. The foods I like to cook with I guess are just pricier. I just figure that food's important and it's not worth it buy food you don't really enjoy just cause it's cheaper. I have a really hard time going without items like strawberries, mangos, apple juice boxes, bottled water, etc.

Reading other posts gives me some hope that maybe my tastes will change and thereby lower by grocery bill.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 3:19 pm
Always less than 120/130 dollars, for dh and I. With meat at least once a day. Not counting stuff for dd and I don't know how much my parents use. Not counting restaurants about twice a week.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 3:24 pm
half the price is for meat btw

batya_d

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 5:04 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Always less than 120/130 dollars, for dh and I. With meat at least once a day. Not counting stuff for dd and I don't know how much my parents use. Not counting restaurants about twice a week.

Where does the money come to go out to restaurants 2x a week, if you and DH are both home full time with the baby?

Also, do you and your parents keep separate groceries and stuff? You mentioned that you usually eat with them, so how does that work? Do you have your own kitchen?

anon

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 5:10 pm
I imagine the same place the money comes from so that they can both be home full-time in the first place.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 16 2007, 5:21 pm
Quote:
Where does the money come to go out to restaurants 2x a week, if you and DH are both home full time with the baby?

Well, considering that we don’t want to touch our savings, most of the money comes from the interests of the bank account of dh (he also had people in his apartments but they left). We also use them for the holidays & shopping, although my parents often try to help more or less discreetly lol. We used to go to the restaurant almost every night but when I became pregnant I was too sick and now I’m still too tired. Not surprising I’ve put on 5 kilos after meeting dh LOL
We also receive money from the state because we have a baby (as a motivation people who have a child under 3 get paid 200 dollars, and if you have 2 or more children, 150 dollars by month by child until 18 + the under 3 money but we’re not there).
Quote:

Also, do you and your parents keep separate groceries and stuff? You mentioned that you usually eat with them, so how does that work? Do you have your own kitchen?

We keep stuff together, although we had to have a second refrigerator (not enough space) but don’t shop together. My dad shops in the morning, but in the morning we’re too lazy to go lol
When we eat with them, generally dinner when everyone is home, dad cooks for everyone unless we want something special, then dh does. We thought of installing a kitchen on our floor but decided it was silly and a waste of space. Not to mention we wouldn’t have had a baby room on our floor if we had done it (we converted my dressing room).

Raisin

Post Sat, Jun 16 2007, 8:15 pm
[quote="Ruchel
We also receive money from the state because we have a baby (as a motivation people who have a child under 3 get paid 200 dollars, and if you have 2 or more children, 150 dollars by month by child until 18 + the under 3 money but we’re not there).
[/quote]

We also recieve money for each child (€710 per month for 4 kids) but we put this straight into a savings account. That way we only spend it if we really need it.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics