Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on groceries a week?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 16 2007, 8:47 pm
Raisin wrote:
[quote="Ruchel
We also receive money from the state because we have a baby (as a motivation people who have a child under 3 get paid 200 dollars, and if you have 2 or more children, 150 dollars by month by child until 18 + the under 3 money but we’re not there).

We also recieve money for each child (€710 per month for 4 kids) but we put this straight into a savings account. That way we only spend it if we really need it.[/quote]

We receive directly on our joint account, that we rarely touch. Do you find that most of the money is generally spent, or is it possible to save most of it? Because 4 children must cost a lot! I suppose it helps a lot for tuition.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Jun 16 2007, 10:28 pm
I just wanted to back up everyone who has stated that one can be perfectly healthy eating primarily (or exclusively) vegetarian foods. Obviously I don't know all the details of the case mentioned with the woman whose child had a deformity (R"L), but I very much doubt it was caused by eating beans rather than meat. All the vitamins and minerals that are found in meat can be obtained from vegetarian sources. It is also simple to get enough protein and fat in a vegetarian diet, even from pregnant women and growing children. Most pregnancy books admit this and offer vegetarian options for all the protein and nutrient requirements of pregnancy.

I have been a vegetarian myself through a couple pregnancies, and ka”h, my children are perfectly healthy. I have had doctors and midwives analyze my diet and find it to be more than adequate, supplying all nutrients. Of course, if a woman wants meat, then pregnancy is a fine time to "splurge" for it in the budget. Still, no one should feel guilty about not serving her kids meat or chicken every night, nor would it be wise to blame oneself for a problem in one's child because one didn't eat meat frequently during the pregnancy without a corroborating statement from a medical professional. With a little bit of attention to nutrition, a meatless meal is a very healthy option.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 7:18 am
Ruchel wrote:

We receive directly on our joint account, that we rarely touch. Do you find that most of the money is generally spent, or is it possible to save most of it? Because 4 children must cost a lot! I suppose it helps a lot for tuition.

We do spend some of it, especially when something expensive happens. (simcha, we just all flew to my brothers wedding) but a lot of it gets saved.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 7:36 am
Raisin wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

We do spend some of it, especially when something expensive happens. (simcha, we just all flew to my brothers wedding) but a lot of it gets saved.

That's encouraging to read Smile
If I can ask, is your country the expensive kind (like Swiss) or the low cost kind (Greece)?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 7:40 am
Binah, I know here it's accepted that meat = healthy lol
I happen to love meat, but I also feel very weak after a few days without it, like in vacation far from kosher meat. I can't imagine not having it during a pregnancy, even when I had nauseas so strong that water would disgust me (!!) I tried SO hard to have meat... may be cultural

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 3:32 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

That's encouraging to read Smile
If I can ask, is your country the expensive kind (like Swiss) or the low cost kind (Greece)?

I think my country is pretty expensive to live in. I don't think it's as expensive as switzerland. Some things are cheaper. school is free, although we do have to spend money on supplementing our kids chinuch, which will be quite a lot next year, now our kids are older.

No kosher resturants, so thats cheaper.

We also get certain things "free" with our job. Housing, car.

Kosher food is not so expensive, but there is not a great choice.

We also spend a lot of money travelling to visit family. Sad

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 3:42 pm
Jewish school is free? wow
Unless you mean public?
which country is it? I'm thinking Luxembourg?

Classicookie

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:41 pm
we spend about 150-200 evey 2 weeks plus about $200 a month in fromula because my baby is on a specail similac
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics