Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 9:02 pm
Considering moving to Detroit. Don't know anything about it or anyone there. Looking to get a general feel of the community, are there young families? what are the shuls and stores like?

Thanks

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 2:36 pm
Bump

greenfire

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 3:29 pm
I hear they're all a little michiganer

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 6:09 pm
greenfire wrote:
I hear they're all a little michiganer

Technically, we are called Michiganders :-)

OP, nice growing community.
But lots of people had the same idea as you, and now due to the sudden influx of young families, housing is super scarce. Literally 40+ families are all looking for the same type of house and in the same neighborhood. Too little supply + too high demand = bidding war on houses.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:

But lots of people had the same idea as you, and now due to the sudden influx of young families, housing is super scarce. Literally 40+ families are all looking for the same type of house and in the same neighborhood. Too little supply + too high demand = bidding war on houses.

The men are Michiganders. The women are Michigeese.
It's a good place. There are decent reasonable apartments and rental houses. Leaving aside the housing for buying, it's a healthy place to raise a family.
I assume someone has a job or is going to school?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that. I guess the housing shortage is all inside the eruv? I keep reading in the papers how Detroit has the largest number of abandoned and foreclosed homes in the whole country, and you can snatch up a gorgeous Victorian for pennies. Some of the architecture there is truly stunning, and I've fantasized about restoring one of those grand old homes.

*sigh* Apparently, they're mostly in very high crime, low income areas. Sad

harriet

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 7:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm surprised to hear that. I guess the housing shortage is all inside the eruv? I keep reading in the papers how Detroit has the largest number of abandoned and foreclosed homes in the whole country, and you can snatch up a gorgeous Victorian for pennies. Some of the architecture there is truly stunning, and I've fantasized about restoring one of those grand old homes.

*sigh* Apparently, they're mostly in very high crime, low income areas. Sad

That's because the frum people who say they live in Detroit are misleading. They actually live in a suburb(s) of Detroit-Oak Park and Southfield, about a 20 minute drive from the city of Detroit (maybe a bit less). To my knowledge there is no one frum living in Detroit proper.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 9:03 am
Technically, one can walk to Detroit. The border is 8 Mile Road, and the contiguous frum community starts about 1.7 miles north of that. (There is a dwindling Lubavitch community, and some old timers, near 9 Mile.)

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:58 am
Isn't the community there modern orthodox...

...because the city is known as Mo'Town?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 6:51 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Isn't the community there modern orthodox...

...because the city is known as Mo'Town?

Rim shot.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 9:39 am
"Detroit" (Southfield/Oak park) is a really wonderful community. I don't know what you are looking for, though. There is a MO community as well, but I know nothing about it. In the more right community, there are two schools...both wonderful choices. There is a kosher supermarket and a bunch of good eateries.
There are alot of shuls!
Everyone is very nice. There is a wide range of types,from MO to very yeshivish and everything in between
It is small enough that it is a nice community feel where everyone matter but big enough to offer choices of shuls/schools/food etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating