Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Yoga ok?

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:36 am
dear imamother-ladies,
sorry for this stupid question. Im really unexperienced. my midwife recommended me some exercise and I was looking for some possibilities in my area. I found a course, thats only for women (which is rare here) and it is yoga for pregnant women. I am really interested, cos in the course description it says its relaxing and prepares also for labor, provides stretching etc...
it is not far and is not super expencive. now my question: is yoga ok for jewish women, I mean is there a religious content in it? if you are experienced with yoga id be happy to find out more about it Smile

thank you

annonymous because most friends dont know im pg

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 1:22 am
amother wrote:
dear imamother-ladies,
sorry for this stupid question. Im really unexperienced. my midwife recommended me some exercise and I was looking for some possibilities in my area. I found a course, thats only for women (which is rare here) and it is yoga for pregnant women. I am really interested, cos in the course description it says its relaxing and prepares also for labor, provides stretching etc...
it is not far and is not super expencive. now my question: is yoga ok for jewish women, I mean is there a religious content in it? if you are experienced with yoga id be happy to find out more about it Smile

thank you

annonymous because most friends dont know im pg

Here in Los Angeles we have yoga classes for frum women. So I guess it's ok

seeker

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 1:45 am
Some people/techniques combine yoga with spirituality things that could be questionable, but yoga itself is parve. See if you can try a sample class to see if their style is right for you.

zaq

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:30 pm
You need to check out the class--ask to observe one if possible. The classes I've attended were all about the exercises with no spiritual content, which is perfectly fine. OTOH some yoga schools are practically temples, and classes are heavily laced with chanting, incense, candles and so on. You want to stay away from those.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:49 pm
I am anti-yoga, because the most advanced practitioners are very injured people, who need to be physically helped to get around by aides.

A dance class with stretches might be an alternative. Maybe Modern, maybe Israeli Folk Dance.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:51 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I am anti-yoga, because the most advanced practitioners are very injured people, who need to be physically helped to get around by aides.

A dance class with stretches might be an alternative. Maybe Modern, maybe Israeli Folk Dance.

dolly, where do you get this stuff? who are these injured people, who are their aides?

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 1:25 am
I was influenced by this article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01.....;_r=0

I never did yoga.

I am for a short, simple, intelligently designed, routine of stretches, right after a quite hot shower, standing right in the shower, on a non-slip rubber mat and with hand rails to hold onto. "One of everything", and "taking inventory" is the idea. Just a few pulls and isometrics and a neck roll, that kind of thing.

Done after every single shower, no exceptions, you are strong, loose, supple, with tone and good posture. To learn the routine, a dance class is good.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 7:54 am
The most advanced dancers are also very injured people. Let's be realistic and realize that every form of sport or exercise has the potential to be abused, and it's up to the individual to recognize the limits of her body and respect them. Much like food, in fact.

Anyway, a prenatal yoga class is likely to focus a lot on stretching and a bit on strength and endurance. Not likely to have religious undertones at all.

ETA stretching alone does not make muscles stronger or more toned. Though that would be nice...

amother

Post Sat, May 17 2014, 6:14 pm
thank you everyone for your opinions. I called the yoga class teacher and asked if I could try it out once. she said I could come next week and see if I like it. so I guess, thats what ill do. I also asked her about esoteric/religious content and she said that there isnt any. its about relaxing, stretching, meeting other moms 2 be etc...but I should come and see if I like it before I pay the whole season (which is 10sessions).
so thanks again and shavua tov Smile

debsey

Post Sat, May 17 2014, 10:47 pm
I asked a shaila before I started Yoga. My teacher is very not into the spiritual parts. Still, I'm uncomfortable with things like "sun salutations" ( name for a series of poses) and other names. I've asked her not to use them and she's OK with that. I'm NOT saluting the sun. Sorry. That feels like idolatry to me. But I see nothing wrong with poses like "warrior" or "cobra" or "half a happy baby" - it just feels like the names of the exercises.
It just feels like really intense deep stretching.
debs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise