Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
No milchig oven - help with shavuos recipes please!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:20 am
I live in a very small house with a very small kitchen and just have one stove which is fleishig. Every year I'd love to prepare milchig meals for shavuos but as this is not feasible, I end up buying frozen cheese blintzes which I can prepare on the stovetop. Any recipe ideas for things that don't need to be baked, which I can prepare on my stovetop? Help!

Liba

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:27 am
You can make homemade blintzes on your stovetop if you want, nachos with melted cheese, cheese latkes, cheesy omelets

elisheva25

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:29 am
Why not burn out your oven and mAke it all milchig for shavous?

Odelyah

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:32 am
You can make milchigs covered in your fleishig oven. I make lasagne and baked ziti in my fleishig oven all the time, covered with foil. I was also told to put a piece of foil on the rack under the pan. But ask your rabbi. You might be surprised that you are less limited than you think. There are ways to cook both milchigs and fleishigs in the same oven at different times, without a huge full-blown kashering in between. It depends on things like whether what you're cooking is wet or dry, whether there is actual fleishig food residue in your oven or if it's clean, waiting a certain amount of time in between, stuff like that. See what your rabbi says-- you might even be able to bake a cheesecake! Smile

STovah

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:36 am
Definitely ask your rabbi, but know that not all rabbinim will allow you to burn out the oven to use for milchigs. Mine does not, so I just use a toaster oven or put things in my regular oven double wrapped.

mfb

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:55 am
Here's a thread of no bake cheese cakes
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....heese

rebeca

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 10:25 am
I make a 'swiss jam roll' cake and fill it (after baking) with a cheese mixture (cheese, cream and vanilla sugar)

allrgymama

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 10:45 am
You can fry an awful lot of stuff...

Also, fish on the stovetop, any form of pasta with a grown up (or not-so-grown-up) sauce. I'm trying Arancini this year and our dairy dessert will be ice cream.

kb

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 11:11 am
I didn't know homemade blintzes needed an oven!

Penne ala vodka, no bake cheesecake, ice cream, there's some recipe here for pizza on a stove...

bigsis144

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 11:12 am
Fettucini Alfredo
Cottage cheese pancakes
Puddings/pudding pie
Onion soup sprinkled with mozzarella

mommyhood

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 11:16 am
I burn out my oven once, make all my milchigs in one day, then turn in back to fleishigs and heat everything covered or on a blech on Shavuos.
If that's not an option of you, this recipe was good, it's a calzone made on the stove top that's really yummy.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....atila
Penne a la vodka is also nice. You could easily do a whole milchig meal on the stove top. Soup, Fried or steamed fish, pasta, blintzes are all stove top options. Add a vegetable and you're good to go. Buy a cheesecake if you don't like the no bake options.

kb

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 11:25 am
Oh, and I don't have the recipe but I know someone who makes cheesecake in a microwave.

rachel6543

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 11:27 am
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup... Simple, fun meal I make for one of the lunches every year.

oliveoil

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 11:38 am
Some ideas:

cheesy onion soup (or any "cream of" soups using dairy)
blintzes
skillet pizza
penne ala vodka or fetucchini alfredo
cottage cheese latkes
Greek salad
Or Greek pasta salad. I love this recipe: http://www.chabad.org/blogs/bl.....d.htm

Dairy pudding
Dairy Mousse
Dairy ice cream

No bake cheesecake - there are so many recipes out there; I like this one. http://www.chabad.org/blogs/bl.....s.htm

Pita

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 4:00 pm
People didn't used to have more than one oven. Just saying....

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 4:53 pm
cheese blintzes
french onion soup
cream of broccoli soup
fettuccine alfredo
penne a la vodka
greek pasta salad
greek salad
caesar salad
caprese salad
avocado cheese salad
cheese truffles
reese's peanut butter cups
no bake cheesecake

of course you can add some parve dishes like salmon, etc

dee's mommy

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 7:08 pm
I don't know if this will help you, but for Shavuos, I kasher my oven, and the oven is dairy. The meat meals are heated in the crock pot and blech on the stove.

Chickpea

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 8:27 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
I don't know if this will help you, but for Shavuos, I kasher my oven, and the oven is dairy. The meat meals are heated in the crock pot and blech on the stove.

I would love to use my crock pot(actually a slow cooker) on Shavuot but I'm afraid to leave it plugged in for 2 days. Do you use a timer?

piece

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 8:57 pm
sometimes toaster ovens that fit in 9 x 13 go on sale
then to rewarm - can you warm up on a blech (if you can buy one) or hot plate.
lots of luck

Lady Bug

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:08 pm
I would buy a toaster oven. Even a cheap one is good enough and you figure out how to adjust the timing soon enough.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics