Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Trampoline advice

ruby slippers

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 8:27 pm
Planning on getting a trampoline- yes I have looked into the risk- for those who do have a trampoline any brands to stay away from or that you are thrilled with. Also, do you have grass under yours or wood chips. Right no we have wood chips in the area I want to put it, but someone said to me the wood chips will end up in the trampoline- good point.
Thoughts...

manhattanmom

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:50 pm
don't know much about trampolines...but I do hate wood chips as a cushioner in a playground/play area.

maybe because a close relative of mine got a splinter in his eyelid (as a child.)

ruby slippers

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:52 pm
Not a big fan of woodchips either- and ouch!! They do make a mess and have to be replaced every year, then again, grass won't grow very well under a trampoline.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 6:20 am
wood chips? I have never seen that.

miami85

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:20 pm
I think I've seen wood chips, but I think they can be swept off with a broom.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:23 pm
wouldn't you rather have something that stays put, rather than something that makes a mess?

ElTam

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 6:01 pm
Playgrounds now have these "woodchips" that are made from recycled plastic.

Before you buy it, I would call your homeowner's insurance and see if it will impact your policy. IIRC, it was one of the questions that is asked whenever I've needed a homeowner's or renter's policy.

And I would also consider whether you want other kids in your yard all the time. Everyone I know who has a trampoline says that's a constant issue.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 6:47 pm
How about artificial grass for underneath the trampoline?

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 8:14 pm
Why won't you put up a net? I have one and I can't imagine letting my kids on without it.

As far as having a full yard, we have a very strict rule of no using the trampoline unless a parent is there. For my own kids I'll let if I'm in the house and looking out the window regularly, but if neighbors want to use it they must be directly supervised.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 8:59 pm
http://www.parents.com/health/.....knew/

"JUST SAY NO TO TRAMPOLINES

Scary Stat: Trampoline-related injuries are responsible for as many as 92,000 emergency-room visits annually.

Listen to the Doctor: "At this hospital, we see about 150 to 200 children with trampoline injuries per year, split equally between boys and girls. These kids have fractures, spinal injuries, and sometimes serious head injuries. Most injuries occur not because kids fly off the trampoline, but because another child lands on them, or they do something inappropriate, such as riding a bike on the trampoline. If you do have a trampoline, only one person at a time should be on it--with supervision. As more people get on, the risk of injury increases exponentially. If one or two kids jump up, then the trampoline is like concrete for the child coming down. Kids can even break their arms or legs as they land."--Howard Kadish, M.D., pediatric emergency medicine physician at the Primary Children's Medical Center, Salt Lake City"

myself

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 5:39 am
A trampoline is great fun and an even greater way of expending kid's pent up energy.
A net safety enclosure is a must.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:02 am
I actually spoke with my pediatrician who felt it was ok to get because it is a good form of exercise- of course he said to make sure to follow all manufacturer's instructions and of course have a net. But if anyone has any other neat ideas as to what we can put in the backyard and not a swing set that will help get the kids outside....

amother

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:16 am
I know the OP says she has looked into all the downsides, however several posters here seem to be under the impression that supervision is what is needed to prevent injuries. Let me tell you that supervision isn't enough.

My ds fell on the trampoline. No one fell on him. He wasn't doing anything crazy, just jumping the way you'd expect kids to. And he broke his foot by the ankle in such a way that the bottom part of his foot was hanging. The first two Hatzoloh members that showed up called for back up as they wanted to make sure they were splinting it correctly for the ride to the ER. They sent along a medic for the drive because they were sure they'd have to administer morphine on the way, and called Bikur Cholim before we left to confirm which hospital and doctor to head to - it was that bad! The orthopedist we followed up with told me he can be a billionaire if he only charges a nickel for each trampoline injury that walks in his door. There's a reason why insurance companies ask whether you have one...

OP - if you decide to go ahead with the purchase then at the very least get a soft, rubbery floor like they have in playgrounds today. Too many of my neighbors don't bother replacing the net once it tears as they just get used to.

Anon cuz whoever knows me, knows this story.

queen

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 11:22 am
For 12 and 14 year old girls who do are into gymnastics (flips, walk-overs....) would 12' trampoline be more than enough or is that really 'small' in size and better to look into 14 or 16' trampolines?

Fabulous

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 11:24 am
It’s smallish

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:03 pm
I was the original op- way back when. The size you are thinking of too small, but also at least according to the instructions that came with my trampoline- flips are a big NO.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics