Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Herpes- MOHEL- Rabbi Fisher
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 6:09 pm
BH, I just gave birth. My husband said Rabbi Fisher was recommended to him as the mohel. Please tell me what you know about rabbi fisher. I have read that he has herpes and he is performing circumcisions even though he was banned from doing so. I'm obviously not going to use someone with herpes but I want to know, is the truth?? Please HELP

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 6:11 pm
There are enough mohelim out there that you can just find someone else. It seems you're nervous about metzitzah bpeh, so go without someone who does it the other way.

Also, you might want to give your location if you want people to make recommendations.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 6:34 pm
He still does circumcisions, but he himself does not perform the metzizah - I believe he asks the father or someone else to do it.

He was highly recommended when my six year old required some halachic corrections (due to surgery). He was absolutely amazing in technique, bedside manner, and follow up.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 6:48 pm
He was accused of having herpes because he was the mohel of one of the babies who died from herpes. If I recall correctly he denies having it and no one was ever able to prove otherwise (the problem is the virus is dormant until you have an outbreak so hard to prove otherwise). From what I understand the babies that died from herpes shortly after the bris had other means of contact to herpes. One was born to a mother with herpes and another had a young sibling with herpes. From what I hear he is wonderful. He did my youngest brother and oldest two nephews. I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 7:05 pm
Don't know anything about herpes, buy he did my son and my son is healthy.... does that prove anything?

We were very happy with him.

amother

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 10:33 pm
We used him and had a very nice experience- I asked him to use a tube which he was fine with doing. He came to us about 3x to check on baby and was nice and very pleasant. He is extremely skilled as a mohel my son barely cried and healed beautifully BH. If you are worried aboyt m"bp have the mohel use a tube that is totally sanitary. My dr said that this is fine and theres no chance of herpes spreading. And dont believe everything you hear either!!

benny

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 11:17 pm
I used him for all 3 of my boys he is absolutely amazing!

ProudMommie

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 11:41 pm
Rabbi Fisher was our mohel too and he is a tzaddik. You can't imagine all the chessed he does, which I won't say on a public forum. If he says that he does not have herpes, he DOES NOT have it. It is pure loshon hora and nothing has been proven ever. This is the world we live in... that such a person, a real mohel, not a businessman, gets all this bad "press", is accused of something and when it becomes clear that it is not the case, there is no outcry and good press to reinstate his reputation.

Having said that, if you are going to be even slightly nervous and have ANY doubts, ask you Rav which mohel you should use... because you don't need the stress that day...

My other recommendation is for Rabbi Edelstein, if you are in Brooklyn, who is also excellent and very experienced.

Mazal Tov and Hatzlacha Rabba!

amother

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 11:57 pm
Rabbi Fisher was the mohel for our son's bris. The procedure was difficult as my son had a defect in the area. The skill and care that this man exhibited, was unreal. I would not hesitate to recommend him. As was so eloquently stated by another poster " Do not believe everything you hear!"
Anon as others are aware of my sons bris story.

StripedFlower

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:15 am
He's an amazing mohel. Caring, extremely professional, highly experienced, and very ehrlich to boot.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:57 am
Are you talking about Rabbi Fisher from monsey? Because if so we recently used him for a bris and he was amazing. Not only was his bedside manner wonderful but he answered all questions I had and even changed my baby's diaper right after he had changed the bandeges since he knew we didn't want to.
I have no clue what you are talking about herpes so I can't comment about that but he came very highly recommended and from our experience I understand why. (Plus the people who recommended him would be the type to tell us if they heard rumors about herpes and they didn't say anything. )

Barbara

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
BH, I just gave birth. My husband said Rabbi Fisher was recommended to him as the mohel. Please tell me what you know about rabbi fisher. I have read that he has herpes and he is performing circumcisions even though he was banned from doing so. I'm obviously not going to use someone with herpes but I want to know, is the truth?? Please HELP

Mazel tov.

There are probably dozens of mohels names Fisher or Fischer, and it is impossible to know which one you refer to. Here is an article from The Jewish Week about one such mohel who was banned from performing msp but continued to do so, and why he was banned.

Also including info re his testing

http://www.thejewishweek.com/n....._show

http://www.thejewishweek.com/n.....itzah

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 9:41 am
He's terrific. Best mohel I ever used. Top notch.
If you're nervous about metzitza b'peh, call someone else. Your pediatrician should be able to recommend someone.

StripedFlower

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 1:52 am
Barbara wrote:
Mazel tov.

There are probably dozens of mohels names Fisher or Fischer, and it is impossible to know which one you refer to.

Impossible for you, but not for everyone else who replied. Did you not notice all the replies above yours?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:18 am
The Jewish Week and particularly the reporter who wrote the articles linked above are notorious for seeking every opportunity to bash Orthodox Jews. They are the last source I would trust for information.

tenma

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:31 am
Rabbi Fisher is wonderful. He was the mohel for my grandson. He is a very special person. Don't believe
everything you read and don't continue spreading the rechilus.

Mazel Tov, may you have much nachas!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 4:18 am
If you're at all nervous, just say so, and ask if they can use the glass straw - or maybe give the honors of b'peh to someone close to the family.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 9:31 am
Everyone in my family uses Rabbi Fischer as their mohel. My BIL says he never saw anyone so quick, the baby barely gets a chance to wail. One sister is an M.D. and has several sons B"AH, and all of them had him as their Mohel. If she's not afraid of the herpes issue, I am not either.

B"EH when Hashem gives me a son, he will come to Lakewood for the Bris. He gives me brachos every time I see him.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 9:35 am
He trained my husband in milah and dh still is in touch with him often for difficult cases and halachic/mohel issues (from across the globe).
Don't believe everything you read.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:27 am
I used him for all my boys and would not want anyone else. Three of my boys had issues and I am very happy I had him as my mohel. He was quick and the urologist was very impressed with him.

The herpes thing is pure l"h they had to attack someone so he was the karbon.

If you are concerned speak to him he is easy to talk to.

Mazel Tov
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics