Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ketchup- offended?
1  2  3  Next

Seraph

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:37 am
Would you get offended if a spouse or child of yours insisted on putting ketchup on every single food you make, because they claim it gives it flavor? Do you find that is saying "Your food doesn't have flavor- I'm gonna do this my way"?
It annoys me a drop when I work hard to make an exotic food, and my husband just slathers ketchup all over it and doesnt even really taste what I made- he just tastes ketchup...

MommyLuv

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:41 am
OOOOh, that would really bug me too! Sorry I have no advice, but I can totally understand how you feel....

smiley:)

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:45 am
I could hear why you might be offended but I personally wouldn't be. I know my cooking could use some improvement, but also there are those types of ppl who just add ketchup to anything and everything. Thats just how they eat. Ketchup is a staple in their life. Does he eat that way with other ppl's cooking?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:49 am
We have that at home. if it's not ketchup, it's soy acue or steak sauce. without even tasting the food!

I once heard a story about a man on a job interview with a large Fortune 500 company. IMB, if I remember correctly.

It was working out well and they went to lunch to seal the deal. the interviewee put salt on his food without even tasting it first - and the man refused to hire him. Said that shows poor judgement, how do you know what it needs without even tasting it first? and didn't want that in the company.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:54 am
my daughter puts ketchup on almost everything ... anyway some people are like that ... whatever the reason ... ask him to please just taste the food as is first because he may actually like it better without the ketchup ... give it a chance ... but what if he doesn't - would you be more offended then?!

MommyLuv

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:57 am
I enjoy seasoning and flavoring food as perfectly as possible and I use lots of different herbs and spices when I cook, so I would be offended to have someone dump condiments on a dish that I worked hard on....

breslov, maybe try to be -gasp!-'out' of ketchup 'by mistake'....thus forcing your hubby to actually taste the food you made.
Of course, that wouldn't work if he always does the grocery shopping.... Tongue Out

Seraph

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:16 am
MommyLuv wrote:
I enjoy seasoning and flavoring food as perfectly as possible and I use lots of different herbs and spices when I cook, so I would be offended to have someone dump condiments on a dish that I worked hard on....

breslov, maybe try to be -gasp!-'out' of ketchup 'by mistake'....thus forcing your hubby to actually taste the food you made.
Of course, that wouldn't work if he always does the grocery shopping.... Tongue Out

I like ketchup, so I wouldn't want to be out...

One thing that really annoyed me though, and I thought ahead- I really don't like the cheeses in israel- so I spent extra money and bought expensive prepackaged american mac and cheese, because I wanted a taste from home. (I can make mac and cheese with israeli cheeses, it pashut isnt the same.) I KNEW he would add ketchup to it, so I mixed his with plain macaroni- only giving him half as much of the expensive stuff... I figured its a waste to give him expensive food that tastes better if he won't even be able to tell the difference... And I was right- as soon as I finished telling him its special american mac and cheese, he dumps a whole buncha ketchup onto it.
Oh- and last night I made really yummy sushi rice- it has a nice sweet and sour taste to it, etc... And he dumps ketchup on it.

He doesn't only put ketchup on my food- he'll do it to other people's food also, but generally only to their leftoevers... Meaning, fresh cholent he wont put ketchup on, but leftoever cholent reheated he puts ketchup on. But on my food, almost EVERY SINGLE thing he puts ketchup on it. Oh- and when we were out of ketchup, he put on chinese sweet and sour sauce...

What I think is funny though- if I make tomato sauce, or tomato soup, he claims its to tomatoey and acidic... Yet he lives off of ketchup...
And I'm not a bad cook in ANY way...
Btw, I generally put salt on food that people give me- BUT that isn't showing that the cooking is bad- I am still tasting what they made, just adding extra salt. I like things extra salty...

Btw, I'm not seriously offended that my husband ketchupizes everything, because I know ketchup is his thing... just a lil bugged sometimes when I work hard on something and he doesn't appreciate it...

Seraph

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:19 am
greenfire wrote:
ask him to please just taste the food as is first because he may actually like it better without the ketchup ... give it a chance ... but what if he doesn't - would you be more offended then?!

Actually, I sometimes ask him to do that... Not offended if he adds ketchup then...
But what I don't understand- my husband complains that I season things too strongly, so I made sure to make it a drop less spicy/salty/garlicy/sour, so then he puts on ketchup bec he thinks theres not enough flavor...

Flowerchild

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:24 am
the guy likes ketchup What

shoy18

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:29 am
my dh is exactly the same way, and it used to really offend me and I used to ask him to at least taste the food before dousing it in ketchup, and he obliged. Then went on to explain to me that unfortunately his mother wasn't the best of cooks and so they were used to just dousing everything in ketchup and when I got him to eat my food and realize how good it is he stopped using ketchup so much, although he still puts it on most things but not half as much as he used to.

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:32 am

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:32 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I once heard a story about a man on a job interview with a large Fortune 500 company. IBM, if I remember correctly.

It was working out well and they went to lunch to seal the deal. the interviewee put salt on his food without even tasting it first - and the man refused to hire him. Said that shows poor judgement, how do you know what it needs without even tasting it first? and didn't want that in the company.
So now I understand why we haven't made it to the Fortune 500 LOL Sometimes I make the soup so salty, but my dh still adds salt no matter what. It's just his thing.

breslov, your dh doesn't add ketchup to other people's food because of self-conciousness, not that he thinks their food is better. (You might have made him aware that they could be offended Wink )he's just more comfortable eating his preferred way in the 'safety' of his home.

By the way, my family likes ketchup too, and I use this out to my advantage, when I'm too lazy to cook something more elaborate. 8)

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:41 am
I used to do the same thing all the time with mayonnaise. It's not that the food was bad - but I liked it even MORE when it was dipped in a mixture of mayo and ketchup. (Hey, I dipped my own food in this mixture all the time, so it was nothing personal against anyone else's food).

Mishie

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 1:47 pm
My DH does this, only instead of ketchup he adds either: Tabasco Sauce or Crushed Chili Pepper.
(mostly to Pizza, Spagetti, Lasagna and stuff like that).

I used to get annoyed and tell him that all the hot stuff is covering up all the great flavors, but I learned to accept it, because, as others pointed out, it lets them enjoy it even more.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 1:51 pm
Mishie, I used to do that also! I love mayo with hot pepper sauce.

My favorite combo was schug mixed with mayonaise. I'd make a big bowl of it at the beginning of the week and eat it with my meals all week long.

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 2:02 pm
My kids main dish every night is KETCHUP! Yeah, maybe they'll have some pasta or chicken to go with it...

shanie5

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 4:10 pm
dh used to ketchup everything too. but over the years I have requested that he at least taste the food first-which he does. he still uses it though. I just call him a 'butcher' for 'killing' the taste of the food.

btw, in my house its grounds for divorce if we run out of ketchup-and he gets all but one kid (the one who HATES ketchup stays w/ me)Wink

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 4:36 pm
shanie, I live almost on top of a kosher grocery and we still run out . . . keep packets in the house, just in case!

shanie5

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 4:53 pm
I keep packets in the house- for my business.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 4:55 pm
breslov wrote:
Would you get offended if a spouse or child of yours insisted on putting ketchup on every single food you make, because they claim it gives it flavor? Do you find that is saying "Your food doesn't have flavor- I'm gonna do this my way"?
It annoys me a drop when I work hard to make an exotic food, and my husband just slathers ketchup all over it and doesnt even really taste what I made- he just tastes ketchup...

Well, my mother has been putting up with this for 45 years now, and she's a great cook...B"H she has kids who eat her food without ketchup and compliment her on it, when they're around to do it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen