Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Best vacation spot

chani4

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:17 am
We are from la and we've been to ny. We want to have a great vacation this summer. With our toddler. What's the best vacation spot?? We want kosher restaurants. I don't want to worry about food. And a consistent minyan for husband to daven. Suggestions please

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:39 am
chani4 wrote:
We are from la and we've been to ny. We want to have a great vacation this summer. With our toddler. What's the best vacation spot?? We want kosher restaurants. I don't want to worry about food. And a consistent minyan for husband to daven. Suggestions please

Go to San Diego.

chani4

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:57 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Go to San Diego.

We love it there and Done that a few times but thanks.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:00 pm
If you want minyan and kosher food, you're limited to big cities. Since you're on the west coast, look into Denver, Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver.

rachel91

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:03 pm
Only places in the US, I assume?

Miami?

chani4

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 7:10 pm
rachel91 wrote:
Only places in the US, I assume?

Miami?

Where would be a nice place to stay. And what are some fun things we could do?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:57 am
doctorima wrote:
If you want minyan and kosher food, you're limited to big cities. Since you're on the west coast, look into Denver, Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver.

Vancouver is an excellent suggestion, I just didn't know if it met her requirements regarding kosher food.

I was there 13 years ago and it was great!! We also took the boat over to British Columbia & loved it!

sky

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:07 am
I've never been to these places but they are on my list of places I'd love to go:
- Vermont (during bein hazmanim there are lots of Jews) I've heard it is gorgeous. Same with Maine.
- San Jaun, PR. Not sure what there is to do with kids. From what I heard you can order food from Chabad.
- Onset, MA - I think there is a minyan but you may have to travel for food.

Maybe someone who has been to these places can advise.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:12 am
sky wrote:
I've never been to these places but they are on my list of places I'd love to go:
- Vermont (during bein hazmanim there are lots of Jews) I've heard it is gorgeous. Same with Maine.
- San Jaun, PR. Not sure what there is to do with kids. From what I heard you can order food from Chabad.
- Onset, MA - I think there is a minyan but you may have to travel for food.

Maybe someone who has been to these places can advise.

Maine doesn't have great minyan options, and even worse food options. Vermont solves both problems, and is definitely pretty, but I certainly wouldn't call it gorgeous. It's a nice option on the East coast, but realistically, the scenery doesn't come up to the ankles of West coast options, which are truly gorgeous. I honestly prefer New Hampshire scenery, and it has a minyan, but food is not as simple.

Onset has minyan but no food, unless you pick up in Boston on the way in. I haven't been to San Juan, but I remember when I looked into it there were definitely some nice options to keep busy for about 4 -5 days. But if coming from the West coast, I'd sooner fly to Hawaii for 4-5 days (avoiding Shabbos issues).

rachel91

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:29 am
chani4 wrote:
Where would be a nice place to stay. And what are some fun things we could do?

I've never been to Miami, or the US for that matter.
I just know, from people who have been there, that there are alot of restaurants. You won't have problems with food or minyanim.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:31 am
Growing up, I'd say my father made around 1 million a year in income. His assets are around 25-50 million. My mother worked to keep herself busy. She made around 200,000 a year. He were not considered rich at all. Assets were not touched. The income alone was not enough. Our grandmother paid our tuition, day camp, programs, etc. totaling around $300,000 a year. We did go on vacation twice a year. We did have expensive clothing. We were not as rich as our cousins who have assets between 750 million and 1 billion with an income of over 100 million a year.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
Growing up, I'd say my father made around 1 million a year in income. His assets are around 25-50 million. My mother worked to keep herself busy. She made around 200,000 a year. He were not considered rich at all. Assets were not touched. The income alone was not enough. Our grandmother paid our tuition, day camp, programs, etc. totaling around $300,000 a year. We did go on vacation twice a year. We did have expensive clothing. We were not as rich as our cousins who have assets between 750 million and 1 billion with an income of over 100 million a year.

I was considered to be from the lower earning families in my school, where most people had assets between 100 million - over a billion and had a greater income.

In the frum world we would definitely be considered rich. Rich and comfortable are two different things.
I'm not complaining. We always had everything we needed and more to make us comfortable, but there is richer out there.

rachel91

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:33 am
amother wrote:

You wanna pay for op's vacation? Very Happy

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
I was considered to be from the lower earning families in my school, where most people had assets between 100 million - over a billion and had a greater income.

In the frum world we would definitely be considered rich. Rich and comfortable are two different things.
I'm not complaining. We always had everything we needed and more to make us comfortable, but there is richer out there.

My father doesn't share his money anymore, he also lost a lot, but is still comfortable. I do not make so much money, and I qualify for government programs. I guess you would consider me poor, but IYH one day I'll make more money. Money is not everything. I'm so not into money at all, but maybe that is because I grew up with so much of it.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:35 am
rachel91 wrote:
You wanna pay for op's vacation? Very Happy

I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone delete the posts?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:35 pm
Miami can be quite hot and humid in the summer, and the beach areas will be full of pritzus, which is why many Jews vacation there in the winter. Just keep that in mind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics