Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Israel bug question, plz don't say "rav vaye said"

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 3:21 pm
I am utterly confused, I don't want to be super machmir and I find that Rav Vaye 's book is simply too machmir.

I need to know how do I go about checking things here, I am specifically asking about the following:

1-Coriander( cilantro) Parsley and dill that come in packages with hechshers on them.

2-Lettuce and Cabbage that comes in the bags with a hechsher on them.

3-Broccoli and Cabbage that is not packaged, for example the ones in a shuk stand.

4-Beans, Rice ..etc

I asked a shaila about spices and was told by a posek not to freeze them and not to check them IF I am buying them from a busy store. So I don't check those. But I didn't ask a shaila about the rest and I don't want to :///( feeling guilty)

Please tell me what you do?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 3:29 pm
Can't I just rely on Star K or CRC or some other guide, meaning the same way I used to do it in the US?

Mother 4

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 4:13 pm
If you would read the instructions on the packet you would read;
Parsley, dil... you just have to rinse
Lettuce, if you mean the uncut bunch then you have let it soak for 3 minutes in soapy water and rinse.
Fresh broccoli I don't think you're allowed to use
the rest I don't know

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 4:24 pm
Ditto to the previous poster.
I NEVER buy broccoli that is not in a closed package. Impossible to check. Same for cauliflower.
I also won't buy cabbage. Too complicated to check. We have a sale locally, every week of all the "green things" on a street cornier. I follow the instructions on the packages. The most I'll do with something (lettuce) is soak in soapy water for 3 minutes and rinse in a strong stream of water.
Beans are super easy to check. I soak them overnight and then check then on my palm and turn them over to the other palm to check the other side.
Rice is really simple for me - I put it on a white plate and look through it. I never found anything. I'm basically looking for worms or something live.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen