Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
The Famous "Rolling Stone" article by Ellen Willis

Motek

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 3:40 pm
http://www.aish.com/spirituali.....1.asp

chavamom

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 3:41 pm
It's such a shame - she never did become frum. Well, maybe I should say "yet".

Motek

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 4:23 pm
She died in the fall.

chavamom

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 6:01 pm
Motek wrote:
She died in the fall.

BDE. I hadn't heard that. What a shame. I guess if I had clicked on the link I would have found that out.

Quote:
In fact, my sister, who passed away from cancer five months ago at 64, didn't go further into Judaism, although her article gave many logical reasons to continue. It was her ability to reflect so honestly the struggle between a desire for the truth and a fear of change that made her article such a powerful influence on others, many of whom came to different conclusions than she did.

bashinda

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 7:43 pm
It's like Lis Harris who should live and be well who wrote Holy Days. AFAIK she's not frum either but she's helped indirectly other people (including myself) become frum. Who knows how many people this lady has also influenced.

Motek

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:56 am
part 2

http://www.aish.com/spirituali.....2.asp

GramaNewYork

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 12:41 pm
Thank you for posting that link. It is a very long article, but it's worth it for those of us who grew up knowing people who became frum in just that way.

One of the parts I took a second glance at was where they took a hard look at the horror of Cambodia while they were still very much to the left and it dawned on them that maybe the U.S. should've stayed in Camboida and maybe should've stayed in Vietnam. That's something that people who are too young to understand the implications of might not appreciate, but I found it very signficant because it went against what their college professors and the media had been preaching during the entire war.

Motek

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 1:00 pm
http://www.aish.com/spirituali.....n.asp

self-actualization

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 10:22 am
I just read this article (half last night and half this morning) and I was blown away. Such good hashkafa material in there ... it has many of the Aish ideas (pain and pleasure versus comfort, and other things - having a rule book, intelligent design, being happy, etc). I also like the female struggle thing - she made some very interesting points that of course I knew all along (feminism doesn't empower women, etc). Also, she contrasted psychotherapy which has only been around 150 years or so, and nobody knows if it works, with Torah Judaism that has been around 3000+ years and does work.

I asked my husband to please read the article as well, but I don't know if he will be as deeply impacted by it as I was. I was up half the night thinking about it ...

cbsp

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:46 pm
Thank you for bumping this. I never heard of this article and I appreciate being given the opportunity to read it.

I'm also grateful that Aish didn't censor edit the content.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:56 pm
Motek wrote:
She died in the fall.

11/9/2006

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 11:43 pm
Thanks for bumping. What a mind-stretching article...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics