Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
YNAB.com Budgeting software

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 2:33 pm
We used to budget with a spreadsheet, but had to redo it every month and it took alot of time. (copy the formulas over, delete everything) the Pro was that we could easily see how much money we had left to spend at any given point in the month.

but do to all that work we decided to try Quicken. my FIL had given us a CD with it and we installed it and used it for awhile, but it wasnt working as nicely. it was harder to see exactly where we were holding.

So we decided to figure somethign else out. I started looking online and I discovered YNAB.com

It is awesome!! so far we are using the free trial still (for about half a month) and we are SO happy. its easy to use, clear, straight forward, shows us EXACTLY where we are holding in life and did I mention easy to use?

It doesnt connect with the banks online like mint.com and other places, which we werent to keen on because those places can have access to all our accounts and also they track our spending and sell the info or use it for the benifit of the banks and other companies. not cool.

I have read amazing reviews on YNAB (stands for You Need a Budget) and they have free how to videos as well as a 9 day email series explaining their method... which b"h was what we were doing already, but now we have this great program to help us keep track of everything.

It does cost a one time fee of $60 after the trial which DH and I are more then happy to pay (tho we still want to wait out a full month just in case).

JUst wanted to spread the word if anyone else would be interested.... Smile

loveit

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 5:09 pm
I just started using it as well!! We started with the free trial and it was great. Even dh is on board and uses the app without fail to record his transactions. I love that its software on my comp without access to any info, feels much safer to me.

I heard about it through kosheronabudget.com and another site that's not Jewish called sixfiguresunder.com. If you go to kosheronabudget.com, do a search for YNAB and you'll find her link that gets you $6 off the purchase price.

metacognizant

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:32 pm
I'm bumping this thread because I'm also in the YNAB cult.

I started it using it last year, right after Pesach. Pesach is expensive, duh, and I see so many people on this board in a panic because the cash flow does not add up. Last year Pesach was a crunch for us. I put it all on a credit card, and could not pay the credit card bill when it came due. This year, Pesach is budgeted for, a little bit at a time, all year round. Other holidays, too. And our immediate needs, medium & long term goals, surprise expenses -- virtually everything is budgeted and planned for in advance.

YNAB is great because it forces you to prioritize and bear in mind how much money you REALLY need to get by, without fear, anxiety, or surprises. You end up slowly and steadily building up any cash you take in because you know you WILL need it in the future, instead of spending it on things that are less essential in the here and now.

I was going to post a new thread to push YNAB to the uninitiated but instead I'm bumping this old one. Everyone-- go try it!

mandr

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 1:42 pm
Tried it but wasn’t realistic. If you have very simple financials then ok. But when you own a few houses with income and have several businesses and lots of expenses it’s just difficult. I use an accountant and I use QuickBooks for business. I don’t have the time or patience actually to record every little transaction I make. Plus I once read somewhere that you’re not supposed to be so on top of every little part of your finances. Yes you definitely need to know where ulna tams but to be so nitty gritty doesn’t allow the Bracha of parnassah to come so easily because you’re kind of being Hashem’s secretary and since he likes to do things in a natural way He can’t just give you a windfall without you noticing!

metacognizant

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 9:04 am
mandr wrote:
Tried it but wasn’t realistic. If you have very simple financials then ok. But when you own a few houses with income and have several businesses and lots of expenses it’s just difficult. I use an accountant and I use QuickBooks for business.

Yeah, I wasn't recommending this for business use at all. I have a business, too, and for that I use Xero. Your houses are income property and they carry business expenses -- YNAB is IMO not good for that.

mandr wrote:
Plus I once read somewhere that you’re not supposed to be so on top of every little part of your finances. Yes you definitely need to know where ulna tams but to be so nitty gritty doesn’t allow the Bracha of parnassah to come so easily because you’re kind of being Hashem’s secretary and since he likes to do things in a natural way He can’t just give you a windfall without you noticing!

We're going to have to agree to disagree there. I'm happy for you that when you don't pay close attention to your finances Hashem sends you brachas. When I don't pay close attention to my finances, I waste the brachas that Hashem sends me!! So in my life I need to manage my finances very, very carefully. That way when Hashem sends me brachas I can use them wisely.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains