Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby hates solids

wonderwoman101

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 4:18 pm
Dd is a little over 7 months old and was only vf till last week when I started cereal with my milk. She absoloutely hates it and anything other than my nipple. She seals her lips and cries and spits out wtvr I manage to get in.
Any advice on what to do?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 4:21 pm
There's no rush. Try again in a few weeks. Also, babies dont need cereal, and they don't need to eat from a spoon. Just put some soft pieces of avocado in front of her and let her do what she wants. She will probably end up tasting it, and she'll catch on in her own time.

smss

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 4:26 pm
well, baby cereal IS pretty gross ;-)

agree with the above, try just giving her real food in soft manageable pieces. and don't stress if she's just not ready yet, it's really no rush at 7 months old

SJcookie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 4:37 pm
Pretend to eat it (or actually eat it) and then offer her some. It works with my toddler Very Happy

morah

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 5:33 pm
6 months is the recommended age to start, but some babies aren't ready till closer to 8 or 9 months. You could try baby-led weaning, where you give her chunks of mushable food like avocado or ripe banana. Super messy but super easy, and a lot of babies who reject the spoon prefer blw.

kb

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 6:12 pm
I had the same thing. I don't remember when my baby finally started to eat, but it was later than I wanted Smile

Wait. He'll eat solids when he's ready.

mochacoffee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 7:14 pm
My daughter was the same way. Every time I tried to give her solids she sealed her lips or spit everything out. I started at 6 months, she just needed time. For a few weeks I would just put the food on her lips so she would get used to the taste. I didn't do cereal though, I used mashed sweet potatoes, squash, applesauce....After a few weeks of tasting it she started to eat solids finally. But veggies only. Cereal took much longer. In the end she didn't start solids til 8-9 months and cereal mixed with fruit by like 10-11 months. BH shes 22 months now and loves to eat!

dr. pepper

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 9:01 pm
Most of my kids wouldn't touch baby food. Only regular food we were eating for supper (safe and cut into small sizes).
My last one liked babyfood and it really convenient.
Give it time....

FYI, I have a friend whose son was such a little manipulator. He starting eating solids latish (10 months) and when he realized his mother was slowly cutting back the nursing, he stopped eating the solids cold turkey! So she waited till he was a year and stopped nursing cold turkey and he began to eat.

Some kids give us a run for our money young Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics