Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Getting rid of computer
1  2  Next

mbk

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 2:01 pm
Hi ladies. My dh and I have made the (painful and difficult) decision that we will get the comp out of the house due to the time we spend on it, the fact that my kids are getting older and will undoubtedly get online once without our knowledge, and basically because we feel we will grow alot closer without it, due to the time we each spend online. However, I am concerned that whoever we give the comp to will research all the sites we visited. How can I completely eradicate the history of sites visited besides by going to internet options, delete cookies, history etc. Is that enough or do I have to do something else. Also, pretend I search "yeast infection" on google, what can I do to get rid of the word "Yeast infection" to come into the searchbar when I type the letter Y? any help would be appreciated, as id like to get it out of the house by tomorrow. THANKS.

ps .... It was very difficult to make the decision to get rid of it, but we made it into a great learning exp and chinuch experience, we got a bunch of special goodies and by the shabbos meal we mentioned our decision to the kids, of how the internet can be great...or destructive and were humans and were curious and the gedolim warn agst. it and bzchus this, hashem should help us in all other areas of our lives. all the kids had a chance to ask hashem for something bzchus the fact that were getting rid of it. My kids were adorable.. My oldest said that bzchus this, totty and mommy should see nachas from us... my younger one said bzchus this mommy shouldnt have migraines anymore....it melted my heart and im extremely proud of us for doing it.. My consolation is that its not like ill never in my life check out imamother again,, I can go to my husband work and check it out there! anyway,,thanks to y'all!

greenfire

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 2:09 pm
WOW!!!

daisy

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 2:28 pm
wow,
I have firefox. I go to the top toolbar where it says: "file, edit, view, history, bookmarks, tools, help".
click on "tools" and third from the bottom it says "clear private data". click on that and check what you want to clear.

rainbow

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 2:37 pm
I'm quite illiterate when it comes to computers, but I have this idea that if you remove the hard-drive you've basically removed the trail....Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Is this a laptop? With my laptop, I would turn it upside-down, unscrew the hard drive cover and bingo!

amother

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 4:28 pm
WOW!!!!

I'm so impressed and (more than) a little jealous of your decision. I feel the same way you do about spending too much time and the potential destructiveness of the computer.

I've mentioned to my husband quite a few times that I would like to get it out of the house, but for now it is just not practical because of work.....

So, good for you. You should know that many times when someone comes to the Skulener Rebbe Shlita for a brocha, he grants them a brocha on condition that they get internet and TV out of the house - and not give it away or sell it to anyone.

So GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! May you blessed with all the good b'ruchniyus uv'gashmius in this zchus.

And, you have yummy kids! Have a lot of nachas!

su7kids

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 7:08 pm
Look up the model number etc of your computer and look up on google how to 'format the hard drive'. That will clear EVERYTHING even the Operating system, like WINDOWS.

chen

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 7:27 pm
Just make sure you have the disk to re-install the operating system and other software b4 you give it to someone. not much use if it's got no operating system.

if you just do the "clear personal data" that will do it for your ordinary user. a real technogeek can still find it. then again, would a real technogeek want your old computer? OTOH, why take a chance?

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 8:21 am
I have another question..

what are you doing with your computer?
are you going to sell it? or just toss it?
I could use a new computer.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:10 am
How are you going to explain the computer use at frends' houses? or that other choshuve ppl hve computers at home?

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:18 am
chocolate moose wrote:
How are you going to explain the computer use at frends' houses? or that other choshuve ppl hve computers at home?

Since when is that a reason not to grow in ruchnius?

If I am makpid on something which someone chashuv is not, then either they have a different minhag or psak or they have different circumstances. Which is exactly what I would explain to my child. If they are doing something which I consider wrong and I have no plausible explanation I tell my kids to ask them why they do it, if they ask me.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:21 am
It's just a question, Shalhevet!

mbk

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:23 am
any ideas, moose? seven, itll go to my husbands office. (maybe) we will bring it home on chol hamoed, or on a special occasion to show them the family dvds or some heimishe plays and so on. As far as what other people do, choshuve people and so on, it works for them, but for us, theyll know that totty and mommy are making the sacrifice so we can have a more "upgehitene" (sacred) home and they seem pretty ok with it. I didnt hear one word of protest so far. My husband also promised them a trip to niagara falls as a treat due this that were doing. I hope I wont miss it too much...(I know I will)...thanks to all for responding/

mbk

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:43 am
ok ..my husband just called that hes coming home to pick something up and I am going to muster up the courage to hand him the laptop to take to work...but I will check in from his work probably by the end of the week to catch up.. thanks to all of you for everything ,,ive learned so much from all of you, in all areas. bye, bonjour , au revoir , shalom, hatzlacha......

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:10 am
In Lubavitch, we use media for the good. It's not considered a "higher level" not to have a computer.

su7kids

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:38 am
chocolate moose wrote:
In Lubavitch, we use media for the good. It's not considered a "higher level" not to have a computer.

The question is, does everyone in Chabad who has a computer, use it for good?

I know that the chabad philosophy does not shun computers as much as it does TVs (which a computer can be used for, these days!), but are we all using it as we should? and ONLY as we should?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:43 am
Su7, do you expect me to say loshon horah?

Of course we are all using it for good!!!!!

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:58 am
Quote:
I know that the chabad philosophy does not shun computers as much as it does TVs

very simple: the rebbe clearly spoke out against tv and internet wasnt around yet for the rebbe to speak against it so dont be so sure that the rebbe wouldnt have come out strongly against the internet.

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 12:03 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
It's just a question, Shalhevet!

And I think Shalhevet's point is that it's a silly question.

How do people explain why some people eat foods you don't eat, wear things you don't wear, do activities you don't do, say things you don't say, go places you don't go...?

You explain as best as you can and don't worry that your neighbor doesn't do what you do.

mimivan

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 12:10 pm
Actually, there is an influential Chabad rav here in Eretz Yisroel, Rav Gluckowsky, who is speaking against having the internet in the home. He took a letter the Rebbe wrote against having television and applied the same principle to the internet. He didn't make a psak din, but he wrote an article and suggested people confine the internet to the office if they absolutely must have it for work,

our son is only four, my husband is in collel and I need the internet for work. However, an office outsidet the home to share with other concerned parents is a goal we'd like to strive for iy'h. as my son nears approaches "surfable age."

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 4:30 pm
There are schools - outside of Lub - who, if you have a computer at home - games or internet - only allow you to play at the home of a child with the same games or internet that you have.

I think that makes a statement, and that was what I intended the discussion to be about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics