Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sheltering
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:51 pm
I do think that when young people are about to marry and are learning about family purity, they wish they had never watched a secular video or read a secular book. The outlook in the secular world regarding marriage is in direct opposition to what they are being taught in chosson or kallah classes and they really want to absorb the proper haskofos with an untampered mind. It is best to remind them of that whenever they seem attracted to secular media. Obviously it is relatively easy to shelter young children if one makes the effort.

hadasa

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 3:29 am
That is so true. I heard in the name of a respected Kallah teacher in Yerushalayim that the easiest Kallos to teach are those that didn't know anything about intimacy before. These girls have no hang-ups, they hear it for the first time from the true, holy Torah perspective and accept it without question as a spiritual, holy concept.

OTOH, I don't think I will be able to shelter my daughter for that long, because she goes to school with non-Frum kids, and even many Frum teenagers talk about these topics pretty freely, and I want her to hear it from me before she hears it from anyone else.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 2:57 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I do think that when young people are about to marry and are learning about family purity, they wish they had never watched a secular video or read a secular book.

I didn't wish that. I think in my mind at the time, they were two different worlds.

hadasa wrote:
the easiest Kallos to teach are those that didn't know anything about intimacy before. These girls have no hang-ups, they hear it for the first time from the true, holy Torah perspective and accept it without question as a spiritual, holy concept.

I am very skeptical about this. They live in Yerushalayim and have seen billboards and scantily clad couples and have ideas about these things whether from reading Torah sources on their own (Chumash and Navi with/without Rashi, Kitzur Shulchan Aruch) or maybe talking to friends. And they can have misconceptions and strange ideas about it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 6:05 pm
Motek wrote:
southernbubby wrote:
I do think that when young people are about to marry and are learning about family purity, they wish they had never watched a secular video or read a secular book.

I didn't wish that. I think in my mind at the time, they were two different worlds.

Same here.
Maybe she is talking about dirty books/movies though.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics