Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child on meds for anxiety?

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 9:42 pm
Is there anyone who has a child or is herself on meds for anxiety? I will be seeing a doctor in a few weeks about this but wondered if anyone is familiar with any of the meds and their side effects.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 10:20 pm
I have two children on zoloft for anxiety.
B"H neither have had any negative side effects. You need a psychiatrist with a reputation for knowing his stuff and paying attention to his patients to monitor dosage. Common practice is to 'start low and go slow' in terms of starting with lowest dose and slowly increasing as needed.
In my children's cases, the medication didn't get rid of their anxiety, it just took the edge off so they could function.

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 10:35 pm
Thank you! Did they suffer attacks previously and if so has the med helped them avoid that?

mazelandbracha

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:20 pm
I had a kid on meds for anxiety. We started with the pediatrician, who had her come in every few weeks to adjust the dose, or change the medication. We then switched to a psychologist, who specialized in meds for kids. I highly recommend finding one if you can. We went through a lot of side effects and the meds sometimes stopped working after a while, and the psychologist knew her stuff - she adjusted doses, put different things together, and when my dd went off the meds, she helped us work through the side effects from that. Hatzlacha with it!

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:35 pm
I'm wondering if the children who are being treated for anxiety had tried therapy first? My ds seems to have some anxiety and I've been trying to get him help by taking him to a social worker. I also think there are sensory issues and we have begun occupational therapy for that aspect. I'm sure medication would help, so I'm wondering if the other children who are taking meds have tried getting help in other ways first or was the medication prescribed right away?

Eemaof3

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:41 pm
We have done psychological therapy for about 2 years and now attacks getting worse and more frequent. I am also looking into physiological causes if anyone has any insight into that.

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 12:37 am
I have a kid with generalized anxiety - He is on Zoloft now. Its literally is a life saver. He is able to cope with life so much better and you can tell right away when we forget to give him his meds. Unfortunately we never did formal therapy and therapy can definitely make a huge difference, but for him therapy alone would not do it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 1:32 am
DD's been in therapy, and it has only helped a tiny bit. My exDH is very against any sort of meds, so I won't be able to get anything for her until we move to Israel. In the meantime, I just keep trying to talk her through her panic attacks. Poor kid, it's so hard for her, and it doesn't have to be that way!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics