Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Gefilte fish paper

princessmommy

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 7:54 am
The paper surrounding the gefilte fish comes mostly or all off when I cook it. Any tips?

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 8:22 am
Are you putting the fish with the seam side of the paper down? Is the water boiling too hard? I notice that when the water boils too fast, the paper starts to come off.

princessmommy

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 8:31 am
I have not noticed which side its facing. I will try that. When I cook it low- I cook it for HOURS and its still does not seem totally done.

queen

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 8:35 am
Never gave much thought to the paper, but again it mostly stays on. Once water boils, I add the fish roll and let it cook for one hour exactly. I do however lower the flame a little that it's not on high for the hour as the water would boil away.

tip: when we're a small group I cut loaf in half and only cook half! (have to defrost fish a little otherwise will be too hard to cut. I usually do that when I bring it home from store as its already a little defrosted....)

Tefila

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 1:22 pm
I don't use the paper I find it expands way more off, then if it's on. But still retains it shape!

SK

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 1:35 pm
I always had problems cooking my fish in a pot - the paper would fall off, I couldnt get the fish out without breaking etc.
What I do now and it works really well is to use a disposable foil pan to cook it in on the stove. I cover with the disposable cover, but foil works just as well if you dont buy the covers.(just don't fill the water all the way up to the top..) Then when I am done, I just spill out the water and store the fish in the same foil pan. So no pot to wash...
I cook on regular heat for 1 1/2 hrs.
Good Luck

queen

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 2:19 pm
oh my, never thought of using disposable pans as pots!

leahj

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 10:28 pm
I rinse fish in paper under hot water to get paper off and place on a foil pan and put in oven at 350 for maybe 1 1/2 hours - just till top is not mushy and is a little brown. or sometimes I cook a little less, shut oven off and leave fish inside for a while - this seems to work well to make sure inside is not mushy while not burning top. Sometimes I sprinkle a little sugar on top for a little diff. flavor.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 7:14 pm
are you putting the fish in slighty defrosted? cuz maybe that does it?
it's suppposed to be frozen, put into boiling water for about 1 1/2 hrs

queen

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 9:00 pm
1.5 hours brachad???

Interesting, as I cook mine for exactly one hour.
(put frozen fish roll in pot once water is boiling)

leahj

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 9:29 pm
The fish isn't really defrosted when I bake - I just put in under hot water to get the paper off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics