Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
K9 filter messed up my computer

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 1:51 am
so I installed the k9 filter and right away had problems. the comp rebooted and I couldn't open up the internet, I wasn't able to shut it down, finally I turned it off but it still took so long, I restarted it again and still unable to access the internet. I uninstalled the filter and when I finally shut it down and restarted it became normal. why did this happen? what can I do? I'm int in a filter but not one that filters out the whole internet.
tia

Raisin

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 5:34 am
I had to uninstall it. The internet was working but my kids do online school and they were not able to see stuff their teacher was posting. I think the filter takes up too much memory.

roza

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 10:09 am
what browser do you use?

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 3:25 am
roza wrote:
what browser do you use?

I use internet explorer (is that what you mean?).

does anyone know of another filter where I can block the sites that I want to block that won't mess up my computer?

roza

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 1:16 am
If you would use Firefox web browser you can try Procon free internet filter: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-...../1803

I personally use k9 and it works fine on my system and it's not exactly new.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 2:50 am
how do I get firefox? do I just download it or s/t?

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 4:19 am
I downloaded/installed firefox but had trouble adding the filter. I clicked on install and 2 seconds later, nothing happened. no icon on my desktop, no save to comp or installation process. what am I doing wrong?

LikeMeDoes

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 8:13 am
IE has a tool where you can only access sites u've allowed. For everything else, u'd need to put in a password.

If that would help, I'll find out from DH how to set it up.

roza

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 8:29 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
I downloaded/installed firefox but had trouble adding the filter. I clicked on install and 2 seconds later, nothing happened. no icon on my desktop, no save to comp or installation process. what am I doing wrong?

if you installed it, it just adds to your browser tools, so open firefox click Tools>Procon>Preferences then setup (check) the filters you want to use, edit the list of sites you want to deny or permit.

you not supposed to get any icons on your desktop, just restart the browser and look into tools on top of the browser (if procon is not there, install again from the link above)
pm me and I will help you with more.

also when you right click your mouse while browsing any site, you will see procon in the box that pops up, clicking on it gives you an option to block the site you are on.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 8:57 am
thank you very much. I figured out how to do it and just blocked espn. now we will wait for the fireworks when dh comes home Wink

Motek

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 2:27 pm
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
and just blocked espn.

what's that?

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 2:34 pm
Motek wrote:
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
and just blocked espn.

what's that?

sports. he's very into it. but I removed the block after he got home. oh well. at least I tried.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 3:38 am
I so understand you. When making sure youtube was a permanent block I decided against a possible trip to BD for outting espn. DH is not getting the code.

However, because our youngest is 12 youtube is the major block. They don't have internet on their computer but a friend gave them the address and they found the lowest level of Israeli tv when I was not home. It is the reason I put in the k9 filter. It does slow down my CPU grrr, because my machine is normally performing 3-4 tasks in background while I work. This is also why it is on 24/7 even if I am not home. It does most of my work while I'm cleaning and such.

BTW, you should open ESPN and block all other sports sites. The others have serious tznius probs due to the ads that ESPN doesn't have. With only one sports site there is not that much to watch and no shalom bayis probs. DH was totally in agreement that I could block the other sports and video sites.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics