Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Hackers figuring out passwords- prevention

amother

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 4:52 am
We have a windows XP computer at my parents house. My brother isn't allowed on the computer without permission, so my parents put a password onto his desktop account to prevent him from going on the computer.
However, my brother has some hacker friends who somehow managed to change his password back without even having access to anyone's desktop.
Do you know how they could have done this?
Do you know then how to prevent this hack from working?

roza

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 2:06 am
amother wrote:
We have a windows XP computer at my parents house. My brother isn't allowed on the computer without permission, so my parents put a password onto his desktop account to prevent him from going on the computer.
However, my brother has some hacker friends who somehow managed to change his password back without even having access to anyone's desktop.
Do you know how they could have done this?
Do you know then how to prevent this hack from working?

well, the password on windows xp computer is for those kind of people who seeing that the door is locked won't try to break in. It does not mean that that the lock is not breakable. There are password recovery tools and hacking tools (especially for microsoft) products available on internet. Desktop password is a low security level. You can recover it when in rebooting the pc and entering safe mode, or using some program on the disk.

In your situation you need a password encryption tool. You can look for a small inexpensive program that adds another layer of security (encrypts) your passwords or provides higher level of security for your pc access.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics