Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Opened cans

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:25 am
Would you put away an opened can of food in the fridge? I grew up knowing that it is so dangerous and we always put over food from cans into other containers. But I've heard many people who dont, and just cover it and put it away. Is it safe or not, and does it make a difference how long, a day or 2, or 3?

aussiegal

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:27 am
I always transfer food out of it's original can before storing it. (that's how I grew up too). I thought it's unhealhty for the food or something.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:27 am
I leave food in cans for a week or two, depending on what type of food is inside.

ChavieK

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:36 am
I'll leave it for a day or two, longer than that it goes in a container.

justanothermother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:53 am

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:58 am
I never store food in cans either, but maybe cans of today are different than back in the day when it was unhealthy . . . .

Seraph

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 4:25 pm
I generally don't leave things in the can, unless I see the metal of the can is lined with something- if you see the inside of the can is white, the food generally isn't in contact with metal, so I don't mind leaving it in the can.

chen

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:35 pm
breslov wrote:
I generally don't leave things in the can, unless I see the metal of the can is lined with something- if you see the inside of the can is white, the food generally isn't in contact with metal, so I don't mind leaving it in the can.

Right. regular unlined cans will corrode if you leave food in them once they're open. the chemical reaction of the food with the metal may produce toxic compounds, but even if the products are innocuous, the taste may be unpleasant.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 11:21 pm
Does it make a difference if it is tightly covered? I once saw advertized special can covers- plastic lids that cover the can tightly. Is that much better?

Dini

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 12:11 am
its the metal of the can thats the prob

Mishie

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:17 am
Here's what I do:

Take a sandwich bag, put it over the can and turn the can upside-down, so that all the contents are in the bag, now place the bag into the can and tie on top.

(Now, you don't have to clean an extra container,
it also saves lots of room in the fridge,
plus - you can see what's inside right away, I usually have quite a few containers in the fridge, and don't always remember what I put in each one, unless I open them....
and best part - no rust or chemicals are getting into your food now.)

Try it!! Very Happy

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:18 am
That's a neat idea!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics