Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I have 2 hours after school with my son-what should I teach

starfish2

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:06 am
Teach might be the wrong word. What can we focus on daily when I have him after school from 4-6 (bedtime after that). What are the values for a 4 year old to understand and be taught about while I'm trying to make dinner and straighten the house? I'm talking about how to show him love for the Rebbe and Hashem. He's already saying that he doesn't want to be on shlichus (we were never on shlichus). I'd like him to grow in a home with Chassidishkeit. Maybe I don't know how to go about this.

Sparkle

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:09 am
4 seems pretty young to really understand the pros/cons of shlichus - let alone know he doesn't want to do it...

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:10 am
Maybe just play with him and let him play? He was in school the whole day...you can incorporate morals with regular life. Read good books to him, cuddle, show him how to help you straightten the house in a fun way.

So he doesn't want to go on schlichus, does he have to? He is only 4! He very well may want to go on schlichus when he is 18.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:23 am
You have no idea where the comment is from. Maybe he heard of a kid who had to leave home because his parents are in some far out shlichus. Anyway, this question can certainly be left until he is older. I would let him play or help Mommy. As you are together you will talk. He will ask about what you are doing and you can ask about cheder andand his day, his friends etc.

Of course, you can look at books, draw or listen to music together as well. He should also get used to a quiet time after he eats where he amuzes himself.

starfish2

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:28 am
I'm not an extreme person with this. I just don't feel like I'm doing enough with his Chinuch education in general. I play with him and let him relax and play after school. Just wondering where chinuch would play a role in daily interactions. How to instill a true love of the Rebbe and Hashem. We have long weekends together. Maybe all of that comes when he's older. My personality is to grow and strive to do more.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:43 am
Love of Hashem and respect for the teachings of the Rebbe are things that most grow in the child.

What you are talking about is taught not by word but deed. While cooking you can talk about how wonderful the carrots you are chopping up are, how Hashem gave them all the right ingredients to help your eyes be good and strong. When outside in the garden notice the ants and talk to your child about how interesting G-d made the ants, how they can hold up such heavy, to them weights.

It doesn't have to be planned out at any age really, but especially at four when he is so open to new ideas.

gryp

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 10:44 am
Shaina, here are some of the things I do:

-Psukim/Mishnayos/Tanya by heart in songs- add fun motions
-Talk about upcoming Chassidishe and regular Yomim Tovim
-Sing Niggunim
-Speak about the Rebbeim and the Rebbetzins and why they are so special
-Other general knowledge- sing the months, the shvatim, the makkos, the days of the week when Hashem created what, the Parshiyos song, review the Mah Nishtana, Aseres Hadibros, tons more.
-A short story from Tanach or later in history
-Discuss Mitzvos and how it makes us closer to Hashem
-Discuss Hashem
-Start a basic Hebrew vocabulary. It will give him a head start when he starts learning inside.
-Alef Beis/ K'riah

My almost 4 yr old son brings a toy into the kitchen and plays while we do this. That way he's not running around opening all the doors and drawers, he's settled and focused.
My 20 month old joins in what he understands-a lot actually!- and it's adorable.

Motek

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 1:20 pm
VERY IMPRESSIVE GR!

I would add: buy or borrow Jewish children's books like Artscroll's Youth Pirkei Avos - you can learn the perek together every Shabbos!

Get Jewish story tapes: Rabbi Burstyn, Rabbi Levi Goldstein, Rabbi Yossi Goldstein

starfish2

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 2:18 pm
Thank you, this is exactly what I meant when I first asked for advice. Thanks so much.

gryp

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 5:22 pm
Nah, Motek, I don't think so. I mean, what else would I use the time for?

Shaina, what's your son's memory like? Does he catch on quick?

greenfire

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 6:10 pm
Teach him to be a mentsch to be sensitive and helpful ... point out good things people do ... and especially tatties in your surroundings ... it will help him grow to be a better man

starfish2

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 12:39 am
My son loves learning new things and his memory is excellent. I'm glad I have ideas to incorporate into our time together now.

gryp

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 1:56 pm
great, shaina! then you have an open mind ready to absorb. as a famous parent once said: "Catch them young enough, and there's no limit to what you can teach."

also: say some of his Kapitel with him daily or whenever you can.

Tefila

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 2:08 pm
Quote:
Get Jewish story tapes: Rabbi Burstyn, Rabbi Levi Goldstein, Rabbi Yossi Goldstein

Yep those are great tapes also I have a pesukim cd though we usually together say all the posukim in the car on the way to school.
I would like to know what songs in Tanya you teach him gr.
We also dicuss the farbrengen chassidishe yomim tovim and the Rebbeim .
Even whilst they help you bake, mix, get the food from the cabinets or help put away the shopping you can be teaching them.

Btw Op that comment highly unlikely did not come from him but prob he heard someonelese say it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics