Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Trying to get set up - Any advice?
1  2  Next

Should I use the flash intro, I like it but does it take away?
Yes use the Flash intro  
 62%  [ 5 ]
Don't use the flash intro (explain below)  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Couldnt you have found a better flash intro?  
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 7:55 am
I started doing postcards for my local shluchim a while ago. I never took any graphic design courses I am self taught. I never advertised myself to anyone. I liked it because it was a bit of extra money I could make from home (besides for loving doing graphic design). Two weeks ago I was offered a 9-1 office job. I havent been out to work since my son was born almost 5 years ago. I have been doing a couple of small things from home, Ebay, photography and this graphic work for my shluchim. When I was offered the job I started thinking... why would I want to leave my almost 5 month old with a babysitter when I have some things I can do from home that Im not realy taking advantage of.

So I decided I have to finaly get myself out there. My first step was to make a website and Ive emailed a couple of places for advertising rates but dont want to do anything until I finish up the website. Im so nervous though embarrassed I realy want to target the Shluchim market but Im not a saleslady and am so nervous about this. Usualy people come to me. I am going to take a deep breathe and do it though. Can I get some feedback from you guys about my website and and sudgestions I would realy appreciate it. Also does anyone think my work is too amatuerish? Im always wondering about that Confused

http://simagraphics.com

technic

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:01 am
1) I like ur site
2) I like ur work (doesnt look amateur 2 me)
3) I was a bit concerned that it played music bcos im still in the omer LOL

but what I REALLY REALLY need 2 know is....CAN G-d b found in chocolate??? Confused

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:03 am
Quote:
but what I REALLY REALLY need 2 know is....CAN G-d b found in chocolate??? Confused

Lol well this event is this week I think (I should know right lol) You can come and find out Wink

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:08 am
I dont understand ...what is shluchim...and regarding work...I feel verry good going out (sometimes I wanna stay home)but it keeps me going...

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:12 am
Quote:
I dont understand ...what is shluchim...and regarding work...I feel verry good going out (sometimes I wanna stay home)but it keeps me going...

Oh Shluchim, like chabad houses. I would also do for otehr organizations. I would also like to go out and have some adult social interaction but I realy dont want that to come with a boss, and a $10 an hour salary. My husband dissagrees with me, he thinks that having something steady is worth something, but I make a lot more per hour when I do this. Lol when I was offered the job I told them that I make $x dollars an hour doing this and my dh is like yeah thats once a month LOL so obviously I gotta be doing more work butI would rather make the money at home and get out of the house and be social in other ways.

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:15 am
Your right...but today u can find jobs for 20 an hour...esspecially when u r experienced with this....and which ways can u go out ?I have such prblms with babysitting every time I wanna go out!!!!!

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:19 am
Quote:
but today u can find jobs for 20 an hour...esspecially when u r experienced with this....and which ways can u go out ?I have such prblms with babysitting every time I wanna go out!!!!!

I make a lot more than that with the design stuff. So I would have to work many less hours for the same money which is such a big plus for a SAHM. At this age my baby is so totable that I can take her everywhere with me and my neighbor is so nice to take her for a couple of hours if I want to go out once in a while. Also the babysitting is more of a problem when going to work everyday. I dont want to leave her, and it eats right into your salary.

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:29 am
ur right again ....well if u make sooooooooo much y bother goin out to work ...y doesnt ur husband understand?....and about my kids there 9 and 8 so I work when they r in school...and walk in the same time....I wanna sometimes a break at night and its such a hastle...

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:42 am
Quote:
well if u make sooooooooo much y bother goin out to work ...y doesnt ur husband understand?.

are you being sarcastic? Its hard to tell over a post. I dont make soooo much lol im only working 2 hours a month doing this lol. And with my dh, I think at the end of the day he doenst mind what I do as long as Im happy.

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:47 am
just jokin....2 hours a month?...lol so y then shouldnt u work....u said before its only a half a day....how many kids?

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:48 am
What do u do during the day? maybe I should hire u to make my suppers...so when I come home I should have it ready....lol

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 8:52 am
Your husband is verry nice.....that hes happy that your happy.....I wish I would have that....

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:01 am
Quote:
..2 hours a month?...lol so y then shouldnt u work....u said before its only a half a day...

Well thats the whole point Ive been doing this for one Chabad House and havent been advertising myself at all, I think that I should do that because I should be able to get a few more monthly customers - I think.

Quote:
how many kids?

K"H A almost 5 year old boy, a 3 year old girl and my 4.5 month old girl

Quote:
What do u do during the day? maybe I should hire u to make my suppers...so when I come home I should have it ready....lol

LOL oh so you heard what a good cook I am LOL I am busy during the day, I have an eBay business and whatever, taking care of the house the kids etc

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:06 am
what kind of an ebay bussines?

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:07 am
So I really got you! LOL ur a reall cook....maybe u go in the cooking bussines..lol

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:19 am
Quote:
So I really got you! Laughing ur a reall cook....maybe u go in the cooking bussines..lol

Somebody in the family already does that Very Happy

Quote:
what kind of an ebay bussines?

Im a good shopper and when I find crazy bargains I snatch them up and sell them on eBay

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:24 am
So maybe u can find me a piano which I tried looking on ebay ...and didnt find ...maybe im not such a good expert.im looking for an psr-550.can u help me?my kids would appreciate that....never mind myself I like music and know a bit how to play...I went for lessons and I wanna practice...

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:27 am
Why dont you just search through the piano section, and look for things closest to your zip code, most things will be pick up only. Also ccheck out your local craigslist.

bashinda

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:29 am
I hope I'm not discouraging you or anything but there are two other businesses doing the exact same thing. I always skip the flash. I'm into tachlis. Shluchim don't have the time to mess with long flash intros so I don't think they'd be that excited either but then again I'm not a shlucha.

btw for full disclosure a relative of mine runs one of the businesses so I am a bit biased. Your stuff looks good but there's no info on pricing. I'd try to work with the other people if you're just getting started. Unless you try to market yourself with more than just Chabad. Otherwise with 2 other competitors the market is saturated already and I'm not saying that because of my connections.

Hatzlacha Raba with whatever you do! PM me if you'd like me to introduce you to my relative.

shwartzcop

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 9:30 am
I tried and tried ....and gave up!!!!!it gave me a headache....lol
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics