Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I have a business idea! Cleaning Lady Translator Service
1  2  3  Next

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:25 pm
I wish someone would open up this service - you call a number, you get a Spanish speaking frum lady who can communicate with your cleaning lady for you and explain concepts like "this dress is DELICATE. Cold water cycle only or it shrinks" or those complicated "coming on Yom Tov" schedules.
It's kind of like the Translate-Phone in emergency rooms, where you can get any language on demand, if you have a patient in the ER you can't communicate with.
It would be great to do this in all languages, obviously, but I'm personally having a "spanish communication problem" right now..........
Any takers? I'd pay good money!

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:27 pm
debsey wrote:
I wish someone would open up this service - you call a number, you get a Spanish speaking frum lady who can communicate with your cleaning lady for you and explain concepts like "this dress is DELICATE. Cold water cycle only or it shrinks" or those complicated "coming on Yom Tov" schedules.
It's kind of like the Translate-Phone in emergency rooms, where you can get any language on demand, if you have a patient in the ER you can't communicate with.
It would be great to do this in all languages, obviously, but I'm personally having a "spanish communication problem" right now..........
Any takers? I'd pay good money!

Have you tried google translator.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:31 pm
cbg wrote:
Have you tried google translator.

Yes. And it turns out I was saying "window picture go a dog" when I was trying to say something totally else.
I need a native speaker to talk to her.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:32 pm
I'm pretty sure it exists.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:33 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I'm pretty sure it exists.

If you know of such a service, let me know. I'll sign up today!

marina

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:37 pm
YAY, It's time for me to post, once again, one of my favorite videos- Spanish for your Nanny! Enjoy. This never gets old!

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:42 pm
OR people can learn some Spanish it isn't a very difficult language, and it's very useful.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:44 pm
Very funny, marina! Not helpful, but funny.......

Last edited by debsey on Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:47 pm
marina wrote:
YAY, It's time for me to post, once again, one of my favorite videos- Spanish for your Nanny! Enjoy. This never gets old!

This is hysterical, but I actually believe that being able to communicate with someone will ENHANCE a respectful working relationship.

Fox

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:49 pm
There are lots of online and in-print resources with English-Spanish translations of typical domestic-task instructions, but I've never seen any developed specifically for frum households.

I'm not sure that a translation service alone would generate much income, but in conjunction with customizable books, videos, etc., I think it might be modestly successful.

I would envision a whole series of booklets in various languages that explain the basics of working in a kosher kitchen and explain various holiday customs that impact cleaning and kitchen activities. There would also be simple videos for domestic workers who may not read well even in their native language.

Then, for varying fees, people could have customizations made to the existing materials.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:56 pm
My friend's call me (I'm Spanish speaking) quite often for this "service." I usually don't mind, but it's definitely not something I'd advertise!! There are a lot of online resources and basic classes you can take in introductory Spanish.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 1:58 pm
There are translator services all over. Just google it. Even for people who need to convey needs other than washing instructions. Wink

http://www.cyracom.com/phone-interpretation/

SingALong

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 2:00 pm
There is an over the phone translating service, for many languages. Not specifically geared for cleaning ladies, for anything. It's costs $$$, and you make an appt 2-3 days beforehand. I used it once for an hour.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 2:30 pm
There was a lady in Lakewood years ago who wanted to start a cleaning lady agency, where she would instruct them in Spanish on exactly what you needed them to do.
Unfortunately, I didn't find that it made any difference ( the cleaning girl still didn't do what /how I liked things to get done).
I wonder if she still does it or if it fizzled out. No clue.

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
There was a lady in Lakewood years ago who wanted to start a cleaning lady agency, where she would instruct them in Spanish on exactly what you needed them to do.
Unfortunately, I didn't find that it made any difference ( the cleaning girl still didn't do what /how I liked things to get done).

This is more like what I'm looking for. A frum person who will understand my needs so she can explain it clearly. I'd even pay someone like 15 an hour to come to my house and help me show my cleaning lady exactly what I mean.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:

I know of a frum mexican woman who lives in Lakewood that did have a cleaning lady agency. I don't know if she still does it though. I don't know if she told them exactly what to do first, though.

penguin

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 3:25 pm
Marina, you should have warned us. I watched that video with DD in the room! I guess I should have known...

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 3:44 pm
When I read the thread title "I have a business idea..." I thought "uh oh" Wink

What now, monogrammed towels for cleaning ladies?

I agree with you. Talk to her in Yiddish, they all understand "shamtta".

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 4:18 pm
I need a Ukrainian translator !! I need to tell my cleaning lady not to use so much soap on the floors but I have no idea how and I need to leave it in a note. Google translator doesn't get things across do clearly.
Anon because I've been telling my friends this.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 5:10 pm
mandr wrote:
When I read the thread title "I have a business idea..." I thought "uh oh" Wink

What now, monogrammed towels for cleaning ladies?

I agree with you. Talk to her in Yiddish, they all understand "shamtta".

Yiddish? What does that have to do with Spanish? English is a lot closer if anything... And not a single housekeeper I had knew the word shmatta.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry