Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
I feel like I yell at my students too much...

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 7:28 pm
I teach 27 ten year old boys. I am eight months pregnant and I feel like I am going to crack. I spend the whole day yelling at my students. I dont know of its them or me..or the weather.
Does somebody have a suggestion of how I can keep myslef calm and cool when my students are driving me up the wall. I have no aid so stepping out fo a moment os not an option. Evrything any of them does bothers me...I am having a really tough time dealing right now and I dont know where I can go for help.
I am really upset by this because my boys dont deserve this either, I used to be a good teacher.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 7:55 pm
Shalom!
I teach at a public middle school so I can definitely empathize with your feelings. My best suggestion is if there are a few particular kids who you can identify as the 'ring leaders' or who are a particular frustration, ask them to sit in the hall and you will speak with them after class or at a later point, when you have had a chance to regroup.
Otherwise, if it is the whole class, try and create some plans that requires minimum involvement--handouts/worksheets/etc giving you a break.

I hope this helps!! Hatzlacha rabbah!!

livalittle

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 10:24 pm
I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm speakin from the perspective of someone who is too soft on everyone. It seems like you need a good discipline plan so you won't have to be yelling at your students. It's number one rule - yelling is a sign of weakness. You want to channel that anger into seriousness and calmness. If you can't get your students to listen, give them a choice - if you don't want to be in here, you don't have to - it's your choice - but you have to leavethe classroom until u are ready to walk in here as a mentsh - and you must make up all the work you miss.

Rememeber, as intimidated as 27 ten-year- olds may be (I dont know if u r intimidate dby that but I def. would be!) they want to see you as a confident teacher. YOU ARE THE BOSS - get it into ur head and make sure your students know that too.

Try Lee canter' books on Assertive Discipline. you def. need a plan when you have those kinds of students and the hormones of an eight-month expectant mom.

Good luck with everything!

MOM222

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 11:31 pm
Do you try prizes?

1. a teacher I know buys a jar and fills it up with gumballs whenever anyone behaves, answers or asks a good question. when its full you give it out. If someone misbehaves you remove one from the jar.
2.Or give out individual tickets and for every 10 tickets they can redeam it for a slurpe. (10 year old boys lovvve slurpes).
3. Ice cream party after x amount

It may cost you some money but boys are very competitive and would behave as angels if you promise them incentive prizes.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 11:51 pm
do u like teaching?

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:56 am
Op- Here,
Of course I like teaching! I really do. I am actually regarded as one of the best teachers in my school. There are over 70 teachers who teach there. My problem is not classroom managemnet, I've got that down...hence the class they gave me this year. My problem is my pregnancy and teaching. My patience, stamina and will is depleted. I feel like I just cant keep up with them at this point.
I adore my students, I just doent feel like I can gove them 100% right now. I am feel like I am sharp and curt and not myself.
Lst week they collectivley decided that my baby is a boy and that I should name it Angel. I told them I will think about it if they behave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics