Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Teaneck, NJ
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 7:52 pm
My DH may be transfered there for work, we know NOTHING about the area. Any info please???

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 7:55 pm
People love it there, but I've heard it's very expensive to live there. I've also heard that there are a lot of good kosher restaurants.

DesignMommy

Feel free to PM me for details! I live in Bergenfield- it is the town next to Teaneck and can give you info re: both.

amother

What do you want to know?

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 8:13 pm
Anything - Shuls , Schools, "Types" of crowds, about the neighborhoods, housing costs and rental availability.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 8:20 pm
From my perspective Teaneck is diverse, but if you are coming from a more yeshivish + background you will not necessarily find this so. Most people here are very open minded and it is possible to do your own thing without feeling any kind of community pressure.

There are no separate schools, the school that is considered the "frummest" is separate classes from 1st grade, but there is still the matter of the bus, etc.

Housing ranges. The apartments are small, but they rent for approx. $1500 a month. There are many different areas in Teaneck, Bergenfield, and New Milford and the housing prices range, but again you may feel comfortable in one place vs. another based on the type of people you feel most comfortable with.

What is your background?

If you want to talk you can e-mail me at menageriemom@gmail.com

MOM222

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 8:37 pm
Teaneck is 20 minutes from Rockland County. There are a lot more choices in schools, shuls... Your husband can then commute there every day.

cassandra

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 9:34 pm
Passaic is also close enough that you can commute...

baseballmom

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 10:00 pm
Teaneck/Bergenfield, Monsey, and Passaic are 3 very different communities. You have to figure out which one fits best for you - one is not better than the other, they just meet the needs of different segments of the orthodox community

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 10:04 pm
Quote:
What is your background?

I guess we're plain frum but would daven in a yeshivish shul, not a Young Israel type, but are more likely to send to a not yeshivish school.

Where is the "most yeshivish" area?

We are first looking into no commute, all the better for family time.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 12:59 am
you can email me with ?s to friend_srch@yahoo.com. Just let me know here if you did bc I dont pick it up much. I lived there as a single, but for 20 something yrs.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 9:24 am
do you know of any frum clothing store for women in teaneck?

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 9:41 am
In Teaneck? I am not sure since I wasnt there in a few yrs. Nothing comes to mind, though if you have a car all the malls that you could want, and surely plenty of independent stores within a 10 min drive, would have. You have to look because obviously many things are pants, etc...

gold21

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 9:42 am
the crowd is mostly what I would describe as towards the right within modern orthodox.
nice, not preppy.
(great places to eat btw!)

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 12:00 pm
I heard there will be a new Yeshiva (boys only) opening this coming year in Bergen County (isn't that Teaneck area?). It's called Yeshiva Ohr Yosef - Torah High School of Bergen County.
I don't live anywhere near Teaneck, but my dh is very close to the menahel. So if anyone wants more info. about it, PM me.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 12:02 pm
If I recall correctly it will be near Teaneck but not in.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 1:47 pm
OP here. Thank you Design Mommy, amothers at gmail & yahoo, and everyone else. I prefer to discuss it anon over here (too many one time use e-mail accounts to keep track of).

We'd be interested in hearing more details about teaneck, bergenfeild & new milford. Which area has the crowd that is most right wing? Do you know the name of a Rabbi or of a shul that we might look into further. Is there any that have the crowd that men wear black hats on Shabbos?

About schools, (elementary), what are the names of them, what types are they? (generalizations welcome) do you have kids in the school? What is the quality of education? Are there extras like science labs or do they stick to the basics? Are apt's easy to find or limited? We would look for a 3 or more bedroom.

Sillier questions; Tongue Out Are there sidewalks? Can you walk places easily, like in Brooklyn/Manhattan or is it more like Monsey?

baseballmom

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
do you know of any frum clothing store for women in teaneck?

There is Sareka - on Cedar Lane

DesignMommy

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 2:30 pm
The Shul we daven in is black hat. There are a couple of options:
Beth Abraham (more of a mix, some black hats, some not, very nice people) Or HaTorah, very young crowd, pretty much all black hat with some exceptions, the Beis Medresh of Bergenfield is small, and all Yeshivish, and the Yeshiva Gedolah of Teaneck is also in walking distance. All except the Beis Medresh of Bergenfield (which for the time being does not have a specific Rav) have amazing, incredibly learned and special Rabbonim. I am very happy to give more details, but not in a public forum- please pm me!
Also, I would be happy to set you up for a Shabbos here if you would like to come visit.
As for schools, YNJ (Yeshiva of North Jersey) is separate from 1st grade and up and it is the most "right wing" school in the neighborhood. The more modern schools are Yeshivat Noam, Yavneh and Moriah, and some people send to Monsey, some send to Passaic and some send to KAJ in Washington Heights. Most of the crowd in Bergenfield are sending to YNJ, although mostly in the younger grades as it is a young community.
The new Yeshiva for boys (HS) sounds very promising and the admin is fantastic!
There are sidewalks and you can walk places, but most people find a car neccesary.
Teaneck has fantastic restaurants and easy parking!

Bergenfield itself doesn't really have many apartments, but there are houses for rent.
For any specifics, or to arrange to come for a Shabbos, please PM! Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 3:03 pm
The most right wing? Well truth is I am a bit out of the loop since I am not in the thick of things there for a few yrs. I dont know so much abt some of the places DesignMommy seems to know about, but Rabbi Neuberger (Beth Abraham) and moreso Rabbi Sobolofsky (I think that's Or Hatorah) would attract the young, more leaning to yeshivish category. Really you could live in Teaneck (depending on where), Bergenfield or New Milford because they all could be walking distance to those shuls. I dont know but would assume that the Rabbi Sobolofsky crowd, at least some, would wear black hats on shabbat.
Design Mommy pretty much mentioned about elementary schools in the area. YNJ is probably known as the most frum, but how frum it is I guess you should check out for yourself. I went there and uhh... it was fine, but I dont know what so frum means other than that their classes are separate after preschool. Many of the schools if not all, have after school clubs available.
I wouldnt know if there are 3+ bedroom aptmts in Teaneck. I have only heard of 2 bedrooms but that means nothing. There very well could be.

Most of Teaneck does not have sidewalks. You'll find a street here or there that does. Most ppl do need cars to get places. Public transportation is not great.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics