Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Storing kids clothing
1  2  Next

momto4

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:58 pm
im looking for ideas on what people store their kids clothing in. im talking about the previous season/size. I know a lot of people use the clear sterilite containers but I never got into that and to start now would be so expensive. for now I store the clothing in cardboard boxes but I know thats not the best. I also bought from someone the clear bags that comforters come in but she doesnt have anymore. those work nicely. does anyone know where I can get those bags or does anyone have any other ideas? thanks!

SouthernShalom

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 6:07 pm
What about those "Space Saver " bags. You can suck all of the air out of them and they don't take up much room.
I just use the colored rubbermaid boxes. I label them with size and season. They only cost about 4 dollars. You prob. won't need the huge ones for the kids clothes.

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 6:55 pm
ziploc makes oversized zippy bags
its see through theres room to write the age/size, season, etc if u need to
they store nicely since they are bags not boxes
reasonably priced too

red sea

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 7:10 pm
I have a huge cabinet made for garage/storage that I use.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:07 pm
Hi!
I heard that storing in plastic makes the clothes yellow.
Does anyone know exactly what makes it yellow, and how u can prevent this? I want to store my babies clothing.
Thanks!

JMto2

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:15 pm
I heard the yellow comes from stains that were once on the clothing and they come back out in the form of yellow while sitting. I soak them in oxy clean and that works they say it is the best to store in a tight sealed thing like containers boxes causes yellow and moths. I store everything in plastic containers

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 6:47 pm
thanks!
I do soak the clothes before I store them, I guess stains are sometimes lurking!!

mumoo

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 7:02 pm
Quote:
Seasonal Clothing Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the changing of the seasons comes the changing of your wardrobe. Following are some tips for storing your garments:

Always clean your clothes before you store them, either by laundering or professionally dry cleaning. Many food and beverage stains as well as body oils left on the garment may oxidize over time and leave a yellow or brown stain. Once these stains oxidize, they are difficult if not impossible to remove. In addition, insects are attracted to these types of stains and can cause fabric damage.

Do not store your garments in plastic bags. Plastic prevents air circulation and may allow moisture to collect and mildew to form. Use the dust covers that come from your dry cleaning orders to protect garments from dust.

Avoid storing clothing where they can be exposed to potential problems, such as the following:

Light fading: Many dyes are sensitive to sunlight or artificial light and may fade in a relatively short time. Fading only occurs on one side of the fabric and only where the edge is exposed to the light source. Fading cannot be corrected. To prevent it, do not store clothing in direct sunlight and make sure the closet light is turned off.

Fume fading: Much like light fading, but it appears as a color change instead of a color loss. Fume fading occurs when garments are exposed to by-products of combustion such as exhaust and heating fuels. Also like light fading, it cannot be reversed. To prevent fume fading, do not store clothing near ducts, furnaces, chimneys or in garages.

Choose the correct method of storing. Knitted garments should be folded, never hung. Fold as little as necessary and fold on seams if possible.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 9:24 pm
wow, great tips!
thanks mumoo!!

shayna82

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 9:27 pm
I have all clothing stored in 6 month increments in seperate containers. yeah its expensive and it takes up room, eventually I guess ill start giving stuff away, selling -- whatever. depends on what my next baby will be!!! iyh

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 9:53 pm
But WHERE do you store the actual boxes or bags? My closets are packed!

chen

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 10:01 pm
What's wrong with cardboard boxes? I've been storing my kids' clothes and mine in cardboard cartons that copier paper comes in for literally decades. I do not recommend airtight plastic b/c fabrics do need to breathe. If you must wrap the clothes because you're afraid of ink bleeding from the carton, use an old white sheet or pillowcase, not a plastic bag. If you're afraid of moths and the like, wrap in white paper and tape shut. paper will block out the buggies but allow some air circulation. (not much, but some.)

try storing boxes under the crib, under the beds, in the bottom or top of the linen closet, or on shelves that you install up near the ceiling. Just make sure the shelves are installed very securely into the building studs and not just into plaster or sheetrock.

or skip boxes entirely and pack clothes into unused suitcases if you don't travel very often. You'll have to empty out the suitcases when you do travel, of course.

mumoo

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 12:52 pm
I know we have to save clothes. I just wanted to point out that in collecting clothes for the last 5 years (for a children's gemach) I have learned a couple of things about saved clothing. So unless you are having another baby pretty close to the last one, remember:

1. Children's and baby clothes do go out of style. Even 5 years can make the most adorable outfit look horridly out of date.

2. As much as you think you will, the majority of mothers will NOT put their baby boy in a pink snowsuit).

3. Sibling babies are different sizes at different ages and the seasons do not always line up wth the sizes.

4. Hashem helps you pay for babies.

It's always sad to see boxes of brand new, tagged "saved" clothes come to me-and they are 20 years old! What a waste. Someone could have used these had they not been packed away.

cdawnr

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 1:02 pm
I started off so good about this...marking the clothes in boxes (ok, they were generally the empty diaper boxes from Costco)...but now they are generally thrown in trash bags and shove dint eh storage space (when not shlepped 3 hours away to my mom's attic!)

We are moving to Canada in October and before then I am hoping to organize all of it into some rubbermaid type bins so that it is a little less chaotic.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 12:02 am
Mumoo, how do kids' clothes go out of style??
I know I can tell the clothes that are from the 80's... bright colors, abstract designs in clashing colors and patterns, polyester everything... but beyond that, they are all equally cute. And I don't think anyone stores baby clothes for 20-30 years... (I.e. from 1980's till now.)

mumoo

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 1:14 am
Gamzu-just like you can tell what era clothes are from, that's how they go out of style. The companies also use color. Ten years ago, teal and purple were the main colors. They look dated now. 15 years ago, it was the primary palette. I remember my 9 and 12 yar olds wearing mousefeather dresses. So tznius and so 'classic'- now girls want skirtsand tops, not dresses with ruffles.

Even baby clothes, the terry is plushier, more microfiber, less pilly stuff.

Some mothers don't care. More do.

And people do save for decades, I've gotten them, clean, neat and totally unwearable. I guess time flies when you are busy raising children

frumnurse

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 5:57 am
I store the clothes in large heavy duty containers, that I buy in Target. The buckets are clear and I arrange them neatly and sort them by sizes. I also don't store them in a basement even though mine is not moist at all. I will make every effort to store them upstairs where I know that they will definately not get ruined in any way. I feel like I spend good money buying my kids nice and good quality clothes that I should spend equally enough time taking good care of them.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:24 pm
My parents kept my clothes in boxes in the cellar, then in the garrage. Now I'm using them for dd. And they are far from outdated, people compliment them all the time honestly... I don't even think kids need to be dressed trendy, they'll ask for it soon enough lol

Shif

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:25 am
Quote:
try storing boxes under the crib, under the beds

I thought there was an inyan not to store clothing under the bed...b/c ppl sleep there and it leaves tumah

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:06 am
The full boxes (yes, clear plastic Keter/Rubbermaid-style ones) of DS's clothes are stored in our crawl space. At the moment there are 3 of them; 0-3, 3-6, and 6-12. There's another one started of 12-18 that shrunk (I'm storing by tag size, not fit size, because I realize that each child is different), which is currently under the crib because that's where there's room for it. I own one box of maternity clothes...at the moment it's on top of the closet in my room because I've started having to dip into it.

I figure that MOST (not all) of the underwear (onesies and socks) are unisex and could be worn by a girl too, and I do have a few things that I thought were too girly and he never wore, and 2 or 3 items he just never wore because he outgrew them before he could, but I do plan on being able to use it again. Most really young stuff CAN be worn 10 years down the line. When was the last time you saw a newborn that wasn't in either primaries or pastels?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics