Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Clothes with stains

Seraph

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:56 am
What do you do with clothes that have stains on them? Throw them out? Wear them when you're just staying at home? Would you ever wear them out?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 6:27 am
You're not supposed to.

downsyndrome

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 6:53 am
Try some heavy-duty stain removers, for example, Nature Bright by Shaklee. It works like a charm. You dilute the powder in boiling water and pour it onto the stains (wet clothes first) and let it soak for several hours, then throw into wash machine with regular detergent and some more of the Nature Bright mix. It usually gets stubborn stains out.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 6:58 am
I would try OxyClean to get them out....if a couple good tries doesn't work, and I already have couple shmattah shirts/etc to wear while cleaning, then I'll get rid of it.

mumoo

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 7:06 am
Try to treat and wash stains quickly so they don't have a chance to set. We keep a stain stick in the kitchen. No solution for Shabbos, tho

chavamom

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 8:22 am
Oxyclean and Biz take care of most stains.

Seraph

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 8:46 am
Unfortunately most of these stains are very old and have had time to settle... I highly doubt they'll come out now.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 9:27 am
you can wear them when the baby's sick.....or when you're pesach or doing other cleaning.

or as an underneath layer.

chen

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:20 pm
If it's s/t I really love I try evry possible kind of stain remover. Failing that, I will try to salvage part of it, like convert a long-sleeve blouse with a stain on the sleeve to sleevelesss or a dickey to wear under sweaters or suits. or a dress can be cut down to make a skirt or tunic, depending on the style. Failing that if it's s/t I really really love, I have been known to cut out good parts like lace collars or trimming and use for Purim costumes. if it's nothing special, like a T-shirt, I wear it or give it to a young child to wear instead of an apron while doing housework or messy arts & crafts. And when it's too disreputable even for that, or if I have too many, and it's 100% cotton, it becomes a cleaning shmatteh.

You can also camouflage a stain with a brooch or an applique, or even a flower or s/t drawn in fabric paint.

raizy

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 7:26 pm
I use bleach for a few hrs. but only if it is white.

Tefila

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 7:29 pm
When all else fails dye them you have nothing to lose only perhaps gain.

chen

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 5:40 pm
Tefila wrote:

worth a try but my personal experience has been that the stain will remain--it will just be a different color--b/c the stained portion will absorb dye differently from the rest of the fabric. yes, even if you use black dye.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 29 2007, 8:01 am
can you embroider ove the stain or put an applique or some such?

greenfire

Post Tue, May 29 2007, 9:10 am
Tefila wrote:

sure ... you are wasting $$ on the dye - not to mention the time ... but I guess if you're creative enough ...

greenfire

Post Tue, May 29 2007, 9:11 am
chocolate moose wrote:
You're not supposed to.

where are the written rules ... I do whatever I want ...

Ima'la

Post Tue, May 29 2007, 9:32 am
ok, breslov, you're lucky you live in E"Y b/c this is the BEST stain-removal tip! (from a friend of a friend...) Wet the stain, sprinkle liberally with Ran (non-bleach whitening powder, sold in supermarkets near the laundry detergents, comes in a white, plastic container, the shape of a mayonnaise container, with blue writing), roll the garment up and leave overnight (or for several hours), then wash in the machine. This works great, even on old stains that have been through the dryer a million times and have set for years. It's not great on ink...but it's WONDERFUL on baby stains (from either end of the baby!)

Warning: I was warned that it can affect the color of the garment, but that only happened to me once when I left the Ran on for 2-3 days instead of just overnight. You can try a hidden area first if you want to be sure.

If it's a fresh stain, I would first try Oxygen (or Kahlia) before bothering with that.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 29 2007, 5:41 pm
Green, I think it's a rule from Breslov, actually.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics