Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
New Hobbies and Crafts Forum!
1  2  Next

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:41 pm
A new forum and subforums have been created to give some of us (or is it we?) neglected crafters, gardeners, etc. an appropriate place to post. Let's post our quilting and sewing threads (pun unintended, oy!) gardening, and other craft and hobby topics in the new forum/subforums. Here's a listing:

Hobbies and Crafts
Sub-Forums:
Pets
Photography
The Imamother Writing Club
Needlework and Sewing
Music
Gardening

Note that a few subforums that were previously elsewhere on the site have been moved here. And I just got asked to be a moderator about 10 minutes ago and I'm already listed!

edited because I lost the pun in a cut and paste!

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rikkip

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:58 pm
That sounds so exciting!! Thank you!!

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:05 pm
so exciting!!
how about adding knitting & crocheting
a &c for kids

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:14 pm
Knitting and crocheting would be covered in Needlework and Sewing. The needles are just bigger! Very Happy

I do think there should be a place for non-sewing-type crafts also (for kids and adults). Maybe Yael can add that.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:59 pm
Love it!! Too bad I've been too lazy to sew. Maybe I'll start again Smile .

faigie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:23 pm
scrapbooking and card making?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:07 pm
How about drawing and painting?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:12 pm
Do we really have enough people wanting to discuss each craft to grant each a separate forum? Interesting. Do we have any serious collectors here? That's a hobby. Not mine but just tossing the idea out there.

A second vote too for the drawing/painting type category.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:31 pm
Sounds great!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:00 pm
I've pm'ed Yael with some of your suggestions. Too many categories will get beget confusion and few posts, but it's apparent that we've left some topics out. Perhaps we need a more general subforum that will cover all the non-sewing crafts and collections.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:32 pm
I logged onto here because I needed a break from the jean skirt that I am sewing for my granddaughter. It is a lot of work with the fly and the pockets and the top-stitching and belt loops, etc.

Anyone else doing jean skirts at the moment? I just finished a Shabbos robe for another granddaughter and before Purim, I usually am busy sewing costumes. I also have drapery fabric to turn into drapes.

chickpea_salad

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:30 am
Yaaay!!! I love this idea Smile

1. Yarn and fabric crafts
2. General crafting (to include paper crafts, craft projects for/with kids, scrap booking, jewelry, diy decor)
3. Photography and fine art (to include photography, painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture)
4. Music & performing arts
5. Gardening
6. Writing club
7. Pets

I think knitting/sewing and crochet should be separate because they often involve a lot of patterns and things that can be confusing for the "rest of us", but I don't think it is good to split crafts up more than that (because I like doing a lot of different crafts, and it is inspiring to see other people do stuff)

We can split things further in the future (like photography and fine art) if there is a need but maybe don't start with tooo many options.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:57 am
southernbubby wrote:
I logged onto here because I needed a break from the jean skirt that I am sewing for my granddaughter. It is a lot of work with the fly and the pockets and the top-stitching and belt loops, etc.

Anyone else doing jean skirts at the moment?.

Not at the moment, but I've made them in the past. Why don't you put it in the right section Wink ?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:23 am
chickpea_salad wrote:
Yaaay!!! I love this idea Smile

1. Yarn and fabric crafts
2. General crafting (to include paper crafts, craft projects for/with kids, scrap booking, jewelry, diy decor)
3. Photography and fine art (to include photography, painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture)
4. Music & performing arts
5. Gardening
6. Writing club
7. Pets

I think knitting/sewing and crochet should be separate because they often involve a lot of patterns and things that can be confusing for the "rest of us", but I don't think it is good to split crafts up more than that (because I like doing a lot of different crafts, and it is inspiring to see other people do stuff)

We can split things further in the future (like photography and fine art) if there is a need but maybe don't start with tooo many options.

If I wanted to post about my rubber ducky collection (yes, I really do have one Very Happy ). what category would it fall under? Should collections be part of your General category?

Photography and Fine Art (includes photography, painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture)

Good idea!

I also like changing Music to Music and Performing Arts.

I thought Needlework and Sewing covered knitting and crocheting — maybe we should add something like "includes sewing, quilting, knitting, and all other fabric and yarn-based crafts"

How about this for the "General" category:
General Crafting and Collections (includes paper crafts, craft projects for/with kids, scrapbooking, jewelry, diy decor and all other crafts and collections not covered in other categories)

little_mage

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:33 am
I love this idea!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:34 am
I pm'ed Yael with some of your category suggestions.

What are some topics you'd like to see? — and please start some! If your topic doesn't fall into a subforum that exists yet you can post in the general Hobbies and Crafts forum category (which is where I started this thread).

chickpea_salad

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 1:15 pm
Quote:
I thought Needlework and Sewing covered knitting and crocheting — maybe we should add something like "includes sewing, quilting, knitting, and all other fabric and yarn-based crafts"

How about this for the "General" category:
General Crafting and Collections (includes paper crafts, craft projects for/with kids, scrapbooking, jewelry, diy decor and all other crafts and collections not covered in other categories)

Sounds good to me!!

michal817

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 1:26 pm
I love this idea! I crochet, make jewelry, and hope to start gardening (now that we moved from an apartment to a house), and I'm always interested in fun and easy DIY projects. Thanks for making the forum!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:12 am
Michal817, this is the time to put in flowering bulbs. You can get them from Dutch Gardens website. Daffodils last forever.

Now is the time to order bare-root roses from Hortico website. You plant them in March, perhaps. Their customer service helps you.

Bluestone Perennial is good.

This looks interesting:

http://www.vermontwildflowerfa......html

Container gardening is convenient. A baker's rack to hold plant containers outdoors is useful.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 2:53 am
I would love to see a Talent Trade and a Supplies Swap forum!

Talent Trade - I can't knit for beans, but I can make really nice earrings for all of your daughter's bridesmaids. I want a purple sweater made out of a specific type of yarn, etc.

Supplies Swap - Surprise box of yarn, scrapbooking papers, beads, etc. traded for equal value of other supplies. Each party agrees on the value of the box, they stuff their boxes, and mail them off to each other.

Years back I belonged to an Etsy forum that did this, and we had a BLAST!

(No buying or selling, as per Yael's rules about advertising.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics