Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone have a live in?
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:00 am
I know many very frum people who have live ins. You can check with a Rav about the problems.

If she will be living in your basement she doesn't need to have free access to your house.

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 5:22 am
Here's our live in story. We grew up with one most of our life. For the most part it was good, house was clean etc.. Forget about privacy! Those days will be over. Unless you think if they speak a different language they must be blind and stupid. Of course we had set rules about food, kashrus and more. One day my father was making us cold cut sandwiches when he noticed the wrapping on the bag. IT READ: FANCY SLICED HAM!
I for one, would not allow a live in in my home. For those that need it, there are specific halachos as far as meat, kashrus and wine. I believe you need a lock on your meat freezer, even if you are in and out. talk to your Rabbi and you could make it work.

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:48 am
We have an au pair. They are for childcare, as far as housework is concerned they are supposed to contribute like a regular member of the household (I.e., they are not supposed to clean the whole house or do your laundry!), and they do cleaning for the kids (I.e. kids' laundry, kids room). But its not what you are looking for. If somebody got an au pair for housework, that is against their visa regulations.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 10:38 am
I just remembered something. My chassidic great grand parents had live ins who were Polish girls (not Jewish). My grandfather says they covered the wine so the girls didn't even look at it shock

SingALong

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 5:14 pm
the cost of a live in averages between $350-400 for 5 days and $400-450 for 6 days. it depends how many hours she'll work that day, and also different areas the prices may be highee. also, I think that russians and polish may cost more than spanish. someone with experience will always want more money.

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 5:25 pm
What I don't understand is why people would take a polish live in?? On my block there are at least 2 to 3 families that have a polish live in and I just can't stand it. Why not take a russian??? why not take someone spanish?? WHY A POLISH????? Weren't they the ones (or maybe their parents) who were very willing to give up yidden to the germans Y"SH and now they're working for US??????

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 5:36 pm
Spanish = Inquisition, Russian = pogrom.... maybe an Eskimo, a Papu... no really, there is almost no clean country. But there were Resistants everywhere too.

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 3:21 am
My sister has a very sweet polish girl. One day she comes back from a vacation and tells my sister that her father just found out his mother was Jewish. My sister says "Oh, that means he is Jewish!" So the girl says "Oh, I could never tell him he is Jewish, it would kill him."

Apparantly there are many Jews in Poland who do not know they are Jewish.

Once you start that you could never employ anyone. All countries have a history of anti-semitism.

JRKmommy

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 12:02 pm
I'm in Canada. The laws here are set up in such a way that it is far easier and more economical to hire a live-in, because you can sponsor them from abroad, and they are then required to work as a live-in for 2 years before they can receive landed immigrant status (equiv to "green card" in the US).

Around here, most of the live-ins are Filippino. My ancestors certainly weren't persecuted by them, and I actually find that many of them are evangelical Xtians who are quite pro-Israel and friendly to Jews. Some people in my area sponsor Filippino nannies who are currently working in Israel, so that they arrive already knowing about how kosher kitchens work.

Our nanny has her own room and washroom in the basement. She has weekends off. She also has set hours during the week, and we make special arrangements if we need her after-hours. There are minimum pay rates and maximum amounts for room/board that are set by law - check what the rules are for your area.

We told her up front about the fact that we were Jewish, and what that entailed. I wrote up details instructions for her. When we kashered the kitchen, we tried to make things as idiot-proof as possible - for example, buying red and blue fry pans, red and blue dish drainers, etc. I was told by my rav (who has a live-in) that the bishul issue can be avoided by insisting that she not turn on the stove/oven. We don't allow outside food in the house - if she wants something, she puts in on the shopping list and I buy it. She also is free to go in the evenings, so she can eat what she wants then.

In general, if someone is working in your home, you want to have a good feeling about them. My nanny and I "clicked", and she has earned my trust.

Racheli

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 2:43 pm
JRKMommy, did you use an agency? If so, what's the name of the agency? I am also thinking about hiring a live-in. We recently moved into a house from an apartment and we now have a private guest room and bathroom that I think would be comfortable for someone. Also, did you give your housekeeper a list of what needs to be done every day or every week? How does that work? If anyone has such a list, I would love to see it.

raizy

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 7:22 pm
jrk mommy how much do u pay per week. and is it childcare deductable. I am thinking of getting a flipono but she should sleep out not in. I already have a flipono. they are pretty quite and pretty good. but she can only work 2 days a week.

also is it legal what u have. I need a legal worker. and one more question after the 2 yrs do they just pick up and leave or do they stay on with u.?

JRKmommy

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 12:15 pm
My info is strictly for Canadians - US rules are different.

Yes, it's 100% legal.

Childcare costs are tax deductable if it is for purposes of allowing you to work. They are deductable from the income of the parent with the lower income. The maximum amounts are $7,000 per child under 7, and $4,000 per child 7 and up.

Minimum wage and the room and board deductions are covered by the Employment Standards Act in Ontario. We pay $9.00/hour, and deduct the maximum of $85.25 per week for room and board.

It's easier to get and keep a nanny if you live in Toronto. In addition to money, nannies care about location. It's a plus if you live on a bus line, and if there are other nannies in the area.

After two years, the nanny may apply to be a landed immigrant. Once she has landed status, she can work in any job. Many choose to work in other fields, but some choose to continue working as nannies. Our nanny is completing her PSW (Personal Support Worker) training, but wanted to continue with us for a 3rd year.

Our agency was Wee Care. The owner is Jewish, so she was able to understand about our kosher requirements, etc. We went through a stack of 20 applications, and took the top candidate.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics