Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Day off without DH

Mrs. Mommy

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:32 pm
I have off on memorial day, while my dh does not. I told the babysitter I will not be sending the baby there on Monday. Any ideas of what I can do in NY area alone with a 1 year old??

shopaholic

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:48 pm
I'd send the baby to the babysitter anyway & use the day for myself - get a manicure/pedicure, go shopping.

cdawnr

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:49 pm
The question is really who you are looking to have entertained, yourself or the baby (who is stimulated by lots f random things at 1)

Also, qyou might watn to be more specific in the NY area. For instance, Passaic is the NY area and there is a great mini zoo about 20 minutes from their is Paramus, but it isn't good for you if you live in Queens

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:50 pm
I'm not sure what interests a kid of 1 year. A zoo, or is she too young?

Mrs. Mommy

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 1:09 pm
I don't want to send him to the babysitter!! I am thrilled to actually have a day off to spend with him. I am not neccessarily looking for something geared directly for him. He'll just love to be in his carriage with me pushing him... I'm kinda looking for something that I can do for myself with his company.
cdawnr - I live in Brooklyn

chen

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 1:18 pm
the zoo would be ideal. or why not just go to the playground or have a picnic in the park or s/t and enjoy each other's exclusive company? at his age he doesn't need an "entertainment" venue--even window-shopping on the avenue will be an adventure for him. save the costly museums and entertainment places fro when he's older and can actually appreciate them.

what I would not do is go actual shopping since most of the stuff will be above his head and he'll be loooking at blank counter walls and display stand bases.

the botanical gardens would be nice--there should be lots of stuff in bloom by now.

cdawnr

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 1:51 pm
Also if you have a friend who has a child around the same age, why not go someplace together. Babies like being around other babies and then you also get to interact with a friend.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 4:57 pm
all the children's museums in NYC are great and even for babies one year old. Hall of science has a great toddler area and a section for crawling babies. Brooklyn children's museum also has a toddler area. Brooklyn, Queens and central park zoos are small and child oriented.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 5:47 pm
there is also prospect park zoo and it is right near the botanic gardens in case you're up to both ...

btw passaic is in NJersey not ny ...

believe it or not ... sometimes just staying at home and relaxing and doing things you never get a chance is also nice when you're a working mom ...

whatever you decide have FUN!!!

cdawnr

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 6:26 pm
Greenfire: She didn't write in NY, she wrote in the NY area. Passaic is 12 miles outside of Manhattan. When I lived in Passaic and commuted to midtown my commute was often shorter than those who live in Brooklyn.

In general, when one writes the NY area, that is the area around NY, including upstate (west chester area) and just across the Hudson.

I am sure that most people who live in Passaic and Teaneck feel that they live in the NY area.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 7:28 pm
Since the poster didn't specify, I assumed she was from Brooklyn.

When will Brooklyn people learn that not everyone is from Brooklyn?????

greenfire

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 7:35 pm
cdawnr wrote:
Greenfire: She didn't write in NY, she wrote in the NY area. Passaic is 12 miles outside of Manhattan. When I lived in Passaic and commuted to midtown my commute was often shorter than those who live in Brooklyn.

In general, when one writes the NY area, that is the area around NY, including upstate (west chester area) and just across the Hudson.

I am sure that most people who live in Passaic and Teaneck feel that they live in the NY area.

yes I agree with you ... but alone with a 1 year old ... seems too hard ...

here it is easy to travel in ny too much traffic

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 5:55 pm
Who said you have to "do" anything? Do your erands, make a nice dinner, organize your closets. Work around the baby.

Piper

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 8:18 pm
Make a "playdate" with friends who also have babies and go for walk/get coffee/lunch. Just hang out.

I know now is too late, but maybe next time Very Happy

Squash

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 9:24 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Since the poster didn't specify, I assumed she was from Brooklyn.

When will Brooklyn people learn that not everyone is from Brooklyn?????

lol

guilty as charged.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics