Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is a child's weight the parent's responsibility?
Previous  1  2

gryp

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 11:08 am
87 lbs? shock
I don't know at what age you got married. but that isn't even near a healthy average.

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 11:20 am
I was 22. I was thin but I am slightly under 5' 2". I was healthy but thin.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 11:44 am
Whoa.

I was considered thin and I was 108 lbs! Of course, I'm over five feet three inches . . . .

JRKmommy

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 1:40 pm
What is meant by "responsibility"?

If you mean, "did the parents cause the child to be this weight?", I'd have to say that genetics play a major role. I have two daughters - my 7.5 yr old is very thin, my 4.5 yr old is plump. They are almost the same weight. I'm not sure how I could have caused two girls to have opposite weight patterns - but I do know that dd#1 looks like me, and my sister and I were skinny kids, while dd#2 looks exactly like my MIL's family, who are all zoftig.

Dd#2 loves to eat - but she'll eat healthy stuff, including veggies, and she's quite active. To be honest, her eating habits are healthier than her sister's - dd#1 would happily eat nothing but junk if I let her.

I plan to encourage healthy eating even more, for all the kids, and to keep them active. However, my other priority is ensuring that dd#2 stays the happy, confident kid that she is now. It kills me to think that she could ever lose that.

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 1:52 pm
JFK, aren't parents responsible to see that food is provided to their children?
We would want parents who did not provide food and let their children starve to be held accountable. By the same token, shouldn't parents be held accountable for feeding their children foods that could harm their health? Will the child who is happily plump at 4 be happily plump at 14? At 4, if we make changes in the diet that will stall off a large weight gain, are we being cruel or kind?
It is not necessary to tell the child that she is plump when you change her diet. Just say that cookies are not really healthy and you want her to eat food that is healthy so you are not buying cookies. Or tell her that because cookies are not healthy, we limit ourselves to 2 a day or 4 on Shabbos. Maybe you could get her into a dance class.
What do you think of my friend, (may she rest in peace)? Were her parents correct in letting her have all the food she wanted until she was so ill that her legs were amputated?

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 1:57 pm
I think it's funny when I take m y kids to the doctor...

He always asks my children what is their fav. food...

My daughter is: spinach, salad, pizza, cheese, cherries..

my middle child (boy): peaches, broccoli, pizza.

My youngest for the longest time: it was chocolate...but at a recent visit he said I like carrots, grapes, cucumber and chocolate and peanutbutter sandwiches.

Once I had a doctor for the kids that told me I had to give them fattier food, because they are soo tiny... I switched doctors, and the current doctor said they are growing naturally for their height and weight and he's not worried.

B"H Smile

JRKmommy

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 2:47 pm
Dd#2 is in dance class, and I don't keep cookies in the house. We only do dessert on Shabbat. Her main source of junk food is our Chabad shul.

Of course, parents are supposed to provide healthy food to children! What the child actually weighs, however, may be determined by genetics as opposed to the food available.

Tefila

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 4:37 pm
Quote:
On my wedding day, I weighed 87 lbs (I did not have anorexia). She clearly avoided letting me develop her problem.

WOW even when I was at my thinnest at 5ft-9 shock I was nowhere near that. You must have tiny bones Wink
I do agree by distracting and encouraging other behavious like excercise running jumping dancing anything but sitting keeps them a) too busy to think of food constantly even if it's a fruit b) It actually helps them develop better simply by excercising.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 5:21 pm
5'9 and 87 lbs would definitely be anorexia.... check a body mass index chart!

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 5:32 pm
I am 4'11 and my doctor told me between 105 and 115 is healthy..

so I have like 20 lbs to go

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 6:16 pm
MM, good thing you don't hve MY dr. He'd lOVE me to be thinner . . . .

Motek

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 11:13 am
southernbubby wrote:
If the child takes food without permission and may harm his or her health, the child must be stopped.

I don't see the comparison to dangerous cleaners which must be locked away. I see it as a chinuch issue in which the child is taught from the youngest age, that they cannot take food without permission. If the child does so anyway, like any misbehavior, you deal with it. I don't think there is anything in the refrigerator or pantry that is dangerous for a child's health. If they indulge, without permission, the worst that can happen is a stomachache, maybe throwing up. Nothing like the disaster of ingesting bleach, ch'v.

Though in general, I agree with you. Parents, mothers especially, are responsible to provide healthy foods and meals for their children and to instill good eating habits.

southernbubby wrote:
I was 22. I was thin but I am slightly under 5' 2". I was healthy but thin.

That's beyond thin. It's extremely underweight. Look at the chart where it says for someone 5' 1'' that the lowest is 106:

http://www.healthchecksystems......t.htm

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 12:04 pm
5'1 and 86 lbs, that was it?
It means a body mass index of 16.2. Anorexia is under 17.5 when caused by a diet and 18 when you don't diet. Many docs will tell you to seek treatment under these numbers. The risk of death can start around 16 if you don't exercize, much before if you do. Infertility problems lo aleinu can start around 18, for some much higher.

gold21

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 12:15 pm
im 5'2 and like 110 or so. sometimes a bit less sometimes a bit more
thats the recommended weight I think....
um 86 lb.s young lady!! not a pretty picture....!! gosh I sure hope you dont think that is an ideal weight hon...
when I was anorexic I weighed more than that!! (89 lb.s)

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, May 31 2007, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 12:19 pm
I am not that thin now and have not been that small since getting married. About 5 years ago, I overdid it with some exercise and one day woke up weak. I went to the doctor and was told it was related to weight (I was 95 lbs). I did gain and since my accident I really gained too much and now need to lose! (I better log off soon and take that walk!).

gold21

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 12:23 pm
southern guess u were a nervous kallah!!!! Tongue Out
nerves takes the weight off....!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics