Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Money for Rebbi, how much do you give?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:54 am
give nothing get nothing
Smile

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:43 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
There is a reason that there's a law against bribing a judge. I understand that the Sanhedrin were made up of wealthy individuals, so that it would be impossible to bribe them. Even a great Tzaddik was not immune to showing bias to someone who had bribed him. And yes, I believe that giving a large gift to a Rebbi, outside of the class gift, is trying to bribe him. The schools should forbid giving gifts to Rebbis, except for class gifts. That is my opinion!!!

Exactly! I can't understand how people here think that Rebbis are above nature. I think that $10-$200 probably doesn't make the Rebbi, teacher treat the kid that much better. However, there are the uber rich giving money every rosh chodesh and giving large sums of money. These rich kids are 100% being treated better than the other children.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:24 am
That’s life though. The rich usually get treated better.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:05 am
BH for not gifting

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:17 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
There is a reason that there's a law against bribing a judge. I understand that the Sanhedrin were made up of wealthy individuals, so that it would be impossible to bribe them. Even a great Tzaddik was not immune to showing bias to someone who had bribed him. And yes, I believe that giving a large gift to a Rebbi, outside of the class gift, is trying to bribe him. The schools should forbid giving gifts to Rebbis, except for class gifts. That is my opinion!!!

That's because judges are always deciding one person is right and one is wrong, so if a gift affected the judges behavior in any way it's wrong. Being a rebbe or teacher is not like that. Going the extra mile for one child doesn't necessarily come at the expense of another child. Would you say not to give the UPS driver a tip based on the same logic?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:20 am
As Winston Churchill said, we make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:30 am
As the wife of a rebbe and with many in my family who are rabbeim, I can tell you that a rebbe will never treat a child differently because of the amount a money they were given. But each gift is extremely appreciated. The average amount is about $100. Some give less and some give more and some don't give at all. (The range is from $50-$250. Less or more than that is pretty rare)

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:39 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
As the wife of a rebbe and with many in my family who are rabbeim, I can tell you that a rebbe will never treat a child differently because of the amount a money they were given. But each gift is extremely appreciated. The average amount is about $100. Some give less and some give more and some don't give at all. (The range is from $50-$250. Less or more than that is pretty rare)

Where do you live?

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:43 am
I didn't read most replies but afaik chanukah gelt for the rebbe who teaches your son Torah specifically is an old tradition, possibly the original source for chanukah gelt in general.
You should also let your child know it, it show you care, and respect his Rebbe, that his learning is important to you

Last edited by lifesagift on Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:44 am
The right amount to give a rebbe is bet $100-$200. They deserve it! If u can’t then just write a really nice thank you note and keep thanking them verbally. Lady teachers also deserve a nice tip. They work hard and also deserve your appreciation.

Esheschayil18

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:47 am
You should give based on your budget how much you can afford. Write a few nice words which will make it up if you can’t afford much.
Either way a few complaints will not do anything wrong.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Where do you live?

Live in Lakewood have siblings who are rabbeim in Brooklyn and Passaic.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:50 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
The right amount to give a rebbe is bet $100-$200. They deserve it! If u can’t then just write a really nice thank you note and keep thanking them verbally. Lady teachers also deserve a nice tip. They work hard and also deserve your appreciation.

OMG are these numbers for real? My son doesn't have a rebbi yet, but I honestly don't think I'd be able to give more than $18.

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:54 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Moms, remember:

Don't over-think your finances. Have your husbands stay in learning. Finances are not a reason to use birth control. The RIGHT thing is to just live simply and make it work. Just live within your means and you'll be fine.

Also, the RIGHT thing is to have $100-$200 available per child for his Rebbe for Chanukah tips. Even if you have six boys in yeshiva. What do you mean, you live simply and don't have that sort of money? Vos is dos? Nisht git!

Oh, also, "lady teachers" should get a nice tip. .... Maybe $20, I guess.... or maybe not.
Because they're ladies. So who cares. Men work much harder. Because they're men.

Personally, I like bribing Rebbes. It's fun. Much more important than staying in touch with your son's rebbes, showing interest as a parent, expressing verbal gratitude, and tipping according to your means. It's easier to just send in a $200 tip. Wait, if everyone else is doing $200 then I'm gonna do $300. It's a tough world out there. Gotta keep up.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics