Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Bringing baby into the shower with me
1  2  Next

June

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 2:48 am
I don't have enough time in my morning to shower AND bathe my 6 mo dd. it would save so much time and hot water to just shower with her. has anyone ever done this? how does it work?

luppamom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:09 am
I don't understand. Why does she need a bath every day? I have an almost 6 month old and I bathe her once a week, for Shabbos! (Disclaimer: my baby is not a big spitter-upper b"H.) When the weather was warmer, I bathed her more mainly b/c we both enjoyed it, but now, I really don't want her wet unnecessarily. Unless your baby is crawling or seriously eating or a big spitter-upper, I wouldn't think she would need a bath more than twice a week!

June

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:12 am
LOL I do usually bathe her once a week - Thursday night - but lately she's been having a lot of explosive diapers and I feel like the wipes aren't doing a good enough job.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:38 am
I wouldn't take a baby into the shower with me. Wet soapy babies + wet soapy mother = high likelihood of someone getting hurt. Unless I had her in some sort of waterproof carrier, but then how would I bathe her?

It doesn't take too much time or water to bathe a baby. Get a small baby tub with a seat insert.

luppamom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:39 am
June wrote:
LOL I do usually bathe her once a week - Thursday night - but lately she's been having a lot of explosive diapers and I feel like the wipes aren't doing a good enough job.

Forgot to mention that one Smile Totally hear you.

luppamom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 3:41 am
DrMom wrote:
I wouldn't take a baby into the shower with me. Wet soapy babies + wet soapy mother = high likelihood of someone getting hurt. Unless I had her in some sort of waterproof carrier, but then how would I bathe her?

It doesn't take too much time or water to bathe a baby. Get a small baby tub with a seat insert.

I second the recommendation. That's what I have. Mine has a stand so I don't even have to bend down. It really doesn't take a lot of time or use a lot of water.

pickle321

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 4:46 am
Why don't you bathe baby at night? Or shower at night or both? For my baby's bath I boil water in the Kumkum and pour it into the bath and add cold water until it's the right temp. I do this cuz I don't want to have to turn on the boiler and wait for the water to heat up. If you do this you won't be using up your hot water

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 4:54 am
I bathe dd before she goes to sleep. I turn on the water and by the time I'm done getting her undressed in her bedroom and putting away her clothes, the bath is filled enough for her. The bath itself takes less than 5 minutes.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 5:37 am
Maybe just take a warm wet cloth to her wherever she needs it, when you change her and dress her? You could even use water from a kettle in a bowl with added cold... very quick. You can even make yourself a coffee a the same time (if you have a chance to drink it!)

June

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 7:49 am
for some reason bath time is such a huge production, that I feel it would be way easier and quicker to just shower her with me.

but truth is, the time-consuming part is really the before and after, rather than the actual bath. I like the idea of a washcloth bath, especially now that it's colder and my apartment just won't warm up!

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 8:07 am
DH used to wash the babies in the shower. My kids hated to be undressed and cold. Here they were always pressed against a body going in and out. The babies loved the shower and were never dropped. My kids were washed daily.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 8:18 am
My DD was WAY too wiggly to take into the shower. It was like trying to keep a hold on to a dozen eels at once! Surprised After that, I never took her in again, she's just too slippery.

If I were you, I'd rearrange my schedule and cut down play time, floor time, tummy time, etc. Make bath time part of her play, and then you'll have the extra time.

nyer1

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 8:25 am
definitely unsafe. rearrange your schedule to do bath time in the evening. it helps to calm the baby before bedtime anyway.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 8:43 am
you need to bath a baby every day ... it's so easy & quick & they smell yummy & fresh

as for the shower - I used to bathe with the babies - it's quite relaxing - but a shower sometimes you need another set of hands so you have to have your spouse ready to pass the baby in & out of the shower - or at least out

kb

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 8:57 am
The shower is one of the few times I have that is my own. I wouldn't share it with my baby even if it was safe, cheaper and more efficient.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 9:12 am
kb wrote:
The shower is one of the few times I have that is my own. I wouldn't share it with my baby even if it was safe, cheaper and more efficient.

I hear you - but it's a good way to have the milk let down & relax while the baby is bonding & also relaxing

not as a must all the time - but something to do when either of you just need to relax yet still be cared for

& I don't think it saves water or time ... if you want to save water & time rinse off the baby in the sink

spring13

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 9:45 am
You can get mesh slings to help hold a baby safely while you're in the shower together, but it would still be difficult to wash either of you (especially your hair) if you're attached like that.

I'd stick with wet-washcloth-in-the-sink treatment for the baby whenever you can fit it into your day.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 10:09 am
I've taken a bath with my babies before. Not sure how safe it would be to shower with a baby. Maybe get a bath seat and have her sit in it while you wash yourself.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 10:34 am
Greenie, I read that doctors are blaming the eczema epidemic on too frequent bathing...

I also bathe my babies every day, with occasional skipping, but it is not recomended for everyone.

chanee

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 10:48 am
Preparing the baby tub in the sink, filling it up, bath baby and dress her back takes me less than 5 minutes. I don't see that much water inside the baby tub.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics