Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Harry Potter Frum Fanfiction: Yehuda (Anthony) Goldstein
  Previous  1  2  3   15  16  17  Next

Brownies

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
I agree with this point, basically, but I will point out about three years ago I found crisps with a LBD hechsher in the London City airport. So if Yehuda was looking for a hechsher on a packaged item, that's probably what he'd be looking for, not OU, Star K or Kedassia.

Ok it's really not a major point IMO but the impression I get of Yehuda's family (going to Torah Temima school; calling father Tatte etc) is that they are not the kind to rely on the London Beth Din List or an OU hechsher; rather they would be looking for a Kedassia hechsher or possibly MK (Manchester Kosher). However given the extenuating circumstances perhaps his father would have allowed him to use items with what they would consider a lesser hechsher. (Disclaimer before anyone jumps on me: I personally rely on all the above-mentioned hechsherim, I am just admittedly stereotyping based on my knowledge/impressions of different groups within the frum community in London.)

Another very minor thing: in England it's "maths" not "math". Wink

Btw OP I loved it and looking forward to reading more!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 5:52 pm
OP

Thanks for volunteering!
Here's what my sister needs to know:
    • Is it common to have a bo bayom dinner, a Shabbos weekend event, or both?
    • What is a Shabbos weekend thingy like? Who comes--family, friends? How much of either? Is it in a hall or a house?
    • Ditto bo bayom dinner…
    • On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being reheated cholent at home and 10 being designer gowns in a country club, how fancy is a yeshivish family's bar mitzvah?
    • Do boys lein the parsha, get an aliya, lein only haftarah, daven for the amud...?
    • If they lein, who teaches them?

I think that's pretty much it...detail is greatly, greatly appreciated!

Kumphort

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 6:28 pm
Another new fan here. Looking forward to seeing more!

bandcm

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 7:03 pm
This is brilliant!
Just a few corrections:
In the UK there are no stores, only shops.
People are not smart, they are clever.
Otherwise, really authentic! And really good writing.
Sorry I can't help you with the bar mitzva, been away from UK too long...

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 8:15 pm
great writing.

can't really help you with the bar mitzva thing, ive only been to lubavitch ones. I went to my yeshivish cousins bar mitzva but that was 25 years ago. I wasn't invited to the seuda, (which was on shabbos) just a reception on a sunday evening, I think in a marquee. So I guess the seuda was more limited in size to classmates, close family.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 7:16 am
amother wrote:
OP

Thanks for volunteering!
Here's what my sister needs to know:
    • Is it common to have a bo bayom dinner, a Shabbos weekend event, or both?
    • What is a Shabbos weekend thingy like? Who comes--family, friends? How much of either? Is it in a hall or a house?
    • Ditto bo bayom dinner…
    • On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being reheated cholent at home and 10 being designer gowns in a country club, how fancy is a yeshivish family's bar mitzvah?
    • Do boys lein the parsha, get an aliya, lein only haftarah, daven for the amud...?
    • If they lein, who teaches them?

I think that's pretty much it...detail is greatly, greatly appreciated!

UK amother here. To the best of my knowledge families have a dinner in the evening of the Bar Mitzva. This generally takes place in a hall, food is either catered or home-made though most families have a catered event. Some have an additional sweet-table on the side. Music not essential. All close family members and friends invited. Boy generally gives a prepared speech which he practiced with either a private-Rebbi or his father. Most Bar Mitzva's are not gala-gown events however they are definitely nice events. I'd probably give it a 6/7.

Many people have a kiddush in shul the following Shabbos for both men and women. Often the women's kiddush is at home. The boy gets an aliyah and AFAIK leins the haftarah.

As in every community some will keep it simple and others will go all out. No country club though. Wink

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 8:17 am
OP

Much appreciated!
I'll pass along the info, and post here if we have more questions

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 8:33 am
This is amazing! I'm forwarding the link to my husband. Thanks for the entertainment.

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 8:55 am
My DS, who is a magician, and has studied about what and how he needs to present his sleight of hand, was very impressed with the rabbi discussion in the story. He had only a few minor quibbles, which he may post onsite. He was surprised to hear that it was put together by a girl -- which put a grin on my face. Take that, Mr. Assumption!

Your sister has a gift. It's nice that you support her!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:16 am
I'm looking forward to enjoying many more installments and have a question. Can one buy a hard copy of a fanfiction book after it's completed? I'd love to purchase a copy to keep alongside our Harry Potter books.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:24 am
imasinger wrote:
My DS, who is a magician, and has studied about what and how he needs to present his sleight of hand, was very impressed with the rabbi discussion in the story. He had only a few minor quibbles, which he may post onsite. He was surprised to hear that it was put together by a girl -- which put a grin on my face. Take that, Mr. Assumption!

OP

My husband's doing the halachic research for her. It's a sisterly bonding activity.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:51 am
As I posted above, I read this and loved it (never read Harry Potter). However, I've never heard of fanfiction -- what exactly is it? My best guess is something written in the style of another writer? Can someone explain further please? TIA.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:53 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction

Fan fiction or fanfiction (also abbreviated to fan fic, fanfic or fic) is fiction about characters or settings from an original work of fiction, created by fans of that work rather than by its creator. Fan fiction is rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work's creator or publisher, and is rarely professionally published. Fan fiction is defined by being both related to its subject's canonical fictional universe (often referred to as "canon") and simultaneously existing outside it. Most fan fiction writers assume that their work is read primarily by other fans, and therefore presume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe (created by a professional writer) in which their works are based.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 2:52 pm
And you can't make money off it until the copyright expires. So if you go to a Barnes and Noble, there's plenty of properly published Pride &Prejudice fanfiction, but we won't live long enough to see the same for Harry Potter.

sunny90

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 3:19 pm
Wow I love this!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 8:43 am
OP

For those still interested, another chapter went up.

(She tries to update on Wednesdays but we got collectively stuck on a halachic issue in one scene)

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 8:50 am
I just read Chapter 6. Great story! Well thought out and interesting small touches, like Professor Snape calling him Yehuda during the potions class roll call instead of his legal name Anthony. And earlier how Yehuda came to have the legal name Anthony at all — brilliant! A wonderful read!

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
OP

(She tries to update on Wednesdays but we got collectively stuck on a halachic issue in one scene)

I have the story bookmarked.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 9:21 am
Terrific read!

One small comment - could the rabbi have a capital "R"?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
OP

When I use the link from the original post, I only see through chapter 5 which I read before today. Did chapter 6 go up now? How do I get to it? Not too familiar with these things.
Page 2 of 17   Previous  1  2  3   15  16  17  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club