Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S*X education for 6th Graders!!!
1  2  Next

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:25 pm
My friend just told me that to her horror... the school taught this today in Gym class, her son was too embarassed to give details

But this is a frum school!!! Oy vey, please...

It's one thing to give notice to parents, so they can decide if this is something they want their children to participate in but...YEESH

greenfire

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:29 pm
are you gonna tell your son what happens to his body as he goes through puberty ... they need to know ... as a single mom my dd's school had this and they loaned me the video and gave me a gift pack too with deoderant and toothpaste ... the girls get tampons and deoderant ... I think it is important and kool ...

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:33 pm
fine but they gave it to u!!

they did not give my friend any warning!!

Piper

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:34 pm
My dd just watched a video yesterday about the physical changes of puberty at her school. I already discussed these things with her awhile ago, so nothing new.

OP, did your school ask your permission? They should have.

lamplighter

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:35 pm
most schools teach bout bodily changes and puberty, but.....puberty is not s-x!

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:40 pm
I am talking about a friend of mine..

My oldest is in the 2nd grade..

I think I am mostly upset about the fact that they did not tell her before hand... u know??

greenfire

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:41 pm
well they explain why the body goes through these changes ... and guess why ...

bashinda

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 9:52 pm
What shocks me is that they didn't ask. Back when I was in 6th grade they had a presentation they first gave us permission slips for our parents to sign! This was in a public school. Okay so this was a quarter of a century ago but who's counting?

MommyLuv

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 10:09 pm
Ok, what exactly did the kids hear?

S-x education in public schools is mostly graphic s-xual info that the kids already know, and how to use contraception and avoid STD's. Rolling Eyes

I doubt that's what actually was taught. Regardless, parents shouldve been notified. My school brought in a nurse in 7th grade to teach us about puberty, bodily changes, etc. but she made no mention that any of it was connected to s-x and pregnancy. I think most of us figured it out at the right time.... Tongue Out

Mimisinger

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 10:12 pm
As a public middle school teacher, we had to send home slips to get signed and the kids couldn't participate w/o the slips. Some parents decided not to let their children participate and so when those classes were being taught, those kids went to the library. HOWEVER, there were some slips that were forged. Some possibly b/c mom and dad wouldn't agree, some just b/c the kids forgot to bring them home and just signed them so they could participate. Are you sure the school didn't send slips home? Better ask the teacher. If parents weren't notified, I think that's wrong. It's a parent's place to decide this.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 10:22 pm
they took the pages out of our textbook....! (I'm pretty sure it was about body changed, not about relations....the same thing with your friend's son most probably)

GAMZu

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 10:56 pm
Yeah, in my school they also took those pages out. Sheesh.

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 11:54 pm
They taught some stuff in my daughter's 6th grade class. I'm glad I told my daughter these things last year. I was not too thrilled when my daughter told me what was taught, but I would have been much more upset if I wouldn't have been the one to tell her.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 12:00 am
Both my girls were taught in 6th grade... by the school nurse and neither came home beforehand with a permission slip (and this is Israel).

I had already sat each of them down beforehand and we discussed things (puberty, but not relations).

supermom

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 1:32 am
greenfire wrote:
... the girls get tampons and deoderant ... I think it is important and kool ...

Tampons shock I am shocked. I never heard about them till I was in high school. I am surprised don't they teach them what pads are?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 1:33 am
When my girls were taught in school, the nurse showed them a tampon and explained how it is used.

mimivan

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 2:04 am
How can one compare education about biological processes and changes taught in frum schools to the kind of s8x education that is taught in public school (I.e. throwing around condoms...won't even mention the rest)?? Apples and oranges, I think.

While I think the parents should have been informed, this is, after all, biology and I am concerned that some parent's misconception of piety would rob girls of important information they need to know. Why would someone not trust a frum school to present the subject of puberty in a tzniusdiche way? After all, topics such as these are in the realm of torah!

Anyway, isn't there a frum girls book about these changes? The Wonder of Becoming You, I think its called..? Why is this subject so shocking to people?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 2:21 am
the original post was about boys learning about s@x, not girls learning about puberty.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:36 am
My brother was taught about s*x by his 4th grade chumash rebbi (in Israel), because they were learning about it in chumash. My mother wasn't bothered by it, but I thought it was disgusting. It makes me so glad that my kids won't be taught in a dati leumi school...

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:42 am
breslov wrote:
My brother was taught about s*x by his 4th grade chumash rebbi (in Israel), because they were learning about it in chumash. My mother wasn't bothered by it, but I thought it was disgusting. It makes me so glad that my kids won't be taught in a dati leumi school...
breslov, you are making an assumption of all dati leumi schools in israel and that is not fair. have you been to any? have you leraned in any? I have never heard if this before, ever and I know MANY ppl that have their kids in dati leumi schools. please be more careful to assume and to generalize...

Quote:
greenfire wrote:
... the girls get tampons and deoderant ... I think it is important and kool ...

Tampons I am shocked. I never heard about them till I was in high school. I am surprised don't they teach them what pads are?

my sister as well, in 6th grade was shown how to use both a pad and a tampon. I dont see what is wrong with that. it is something good to learn. not all mothers feel comfortable showing their daughters this until they have already had their period and then it is too late.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics