Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S*X education for 6th Graders!!!
Previous  1  2

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:47 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
breslov wrote:
My brother was taught about s*x by his 4th grade chumash rebbi (in Israel), because they were learning about it in chumash. My mother wasn't bothered by it, but I thought it was disgusting. It makes me so glad that my kids won't be taught in a dati leumi school...
breslov, you are making an assumption of all dati leumi schools in israel and that is not fair. have you been to any? have you leraned in any? I have never heard if this before, ever and I know MANY ppl that have their kids in dati leumi schools. please be more careful to assume and to generalize...

Ok, I shouldn't make an assumption and generalize. I'll tell details- my brother is in the talmud torah (meaning more religious) class of his dati leumi school in a very chardal yishuv/neighborhood. From what I heard from different parents, that is the norm over there. All the teachers will answer any questions that come up in class, even if it means exposing these kids to things that they have no business knowing. I don't know how someone can teach 4th grade boys sefer vayikra and teach them all about s*x in order for them to understand what the different lavim are.

And yes, I was in a dati leumi school. Once for preschool. And once for seminary. Not for elementary school. Maybe all dati leumi schools don't do this- I would be shocked if they did. However, in a charedi school system, I can be pretty sure that the teacher won't have a s*x ed chumash class for my 4th grade son.

ChavieK

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:54 am
Boys tend to be taught certain things along the way that girls don't learn. The girls will often skip the whole story of Dina & shchem.The boys learn things in Mishna & gemara that I was quite suprised by at such a young age. It is part of Torah.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:59 am
breslov wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
breslov wrote:
My brother was taught about s*x by his 4th grade chumash rebbi (in Israel), because they were learning about it in chumash. My mother wasn't bothered by it, but I thought it was disgusting. It makes me so glad that my kids won't be taught in a dati leumi school...
breslov, you are making an assumption of all dati leumi schools in israel and that is not fair. have you been to any? have you leraned in any? I have never heard if this before, ever and I know MANY ppl that have their kids in dati leumi schools. please be more careful to assume and to generalize...

Ok, I shouldn't make an assumption and generalize. I'll tell details- my brother is in the talmud torah (meaning more religious) class of his dati leumi school in a very chardal yishuv/neighborhood. From what I heard from different parents, that is the norm over there. All the teachers will answer any questions that come up in class, even if it means exposing these kids to things that they have no business knowing. I don't know how someone can teach 4th grade boys sefer vayikra and teach them all about s*x in order for them to understand what the different lavim are.

And yes, I was in a dati leumi school. Once for preschool. And once for seminary. Not for elementary school. Maybe all dati leumi schools don't do this- I would be shocked if they did. However, in a charedi school system, I can be pretty sure that the teacher won't have a s*x ed chumash class for my 4th grade son.

ok, being in a dati leumi school for pre school does not count and seminary? thats seminary, that is not counted in terms of what the governement tells them to teach.
yes, it is very shocking if a charedi school would teach s-e-x education also.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:12 am
ChavieK wrote:
Boys tend to be taught certain things along the way that girls don't learn. The girls will often skip the whole story of Dina & shchem.The boys learn things in Mishna & gemara that I was quite suprised by at such a young age. It is part of Torah.

They can learn it but not graphic. Meaning the teacher doesnt say "Ok, now ___ is that the man takes his ___ and ____ to a womans ____." He can say "slept with her". Doesn't need to be more graphic.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:32 am
breslov wrote:
ChavieK wrote:

They can learn it but not graphic. Meaning the teacher doesnt say "Ok, now ___ is that the man takes his ___ and ____ to a womans ____." He can say "slept with her". Doesn't need to be more graphic.

I actually agree with chaviek, if you tell someone that they slept with her, that could become very cofusing in the future. that is where children or young adults get the idea (and I have actually heard it before) that two adults can "have a baby" by sleeping in the same bed. gosh are they in for a surprise of a lifetime then.
I dont know, what is better that these 6th graders boys or girls, learn about s-e-x from the grapevine or from an actual class? I think an actual class, not the grapevine.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:39 am
All I know is that the parents were nto informed, nor given permission slips

this is a mixed group of boys and girls, so it's not like they are talking to the boys about their bodie sand then the girls about their bodies. It was a mixed group, talking about sperm and the egg and we do not know what else because they did not tell teh parents prior!!

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:43 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
breslov wrote:
ChavieK wrote:

I actually agree with chaviek, if you tell someone that they slept with her, that could become very cofusing in the future. that is where children or young adults get the idea (and I have actually heard it before) that two adults can "have a baby" by sleeping in the same bed. gosh are they in for a surprise of a lifetime then.
I dont know, what is better that these 6th graders boys or girls, learn about s-e-x from the grapevine or from an actual class? I think an actual class, not the grapevine.

And what is so terrible about them thinking babies are formed from parents sleeping the the same bed? They can know the truth when they're a little older (or wait till chosson/kallah classes).
And in my brothers case, I was talking about lil 9 year olds. Not 6th graders even.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:54 am
breslov wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
breslov wrote:
ChavieK wrote:

And what is so terrible about them thinking babies are formed from parents sleeping the the same bed? They can know the truth when they're a little older (or wait till chosson/kallah classes).
And in my brothers case, I was talking about lil 9 year olds. Not 6th graders even.

ok, but sometimes kids "learn" things at a VERY early age from the grapevine, friends and other sources. I dont know but I think that I would much rather that a child of mine would learn such things from a class and teacher than from somewhere else, thats all I am saying.

mimivan

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:13 am
Kmelion wrote:
the original post was about boys learning about s@x, not girls learning about puberty.

Are you sure...I think Mitzvahmom's original post didn't spell it out so explicity, but Greenfire's response sounded like they were just talking about puberty

mimivan

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:14 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:

this is a mixed group of boys and girls, so it's not like they are talking to the boys about their bodie sand then the girls about their bodies. It was a mixed group, talking about sperm and the egg and we do not know what else because they did not tell teh parents prior!!
shock shock shock shock
Okay kmelion, Mitzvahom, I stand corrected!!!
How terrible!

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:15 am
mimivan wrote:
Kmelion wrote:
the original post was about boys learning about s@x, not girls learning about puberty.

Are you sure...I think Mitzvahmom's original post didn't spell it out so explicity, but Greenfire's response sounded like they were just talking about puberty

I am sure. Mitzvamom wrote afterwords:
Quote:

mimivan

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:24 am
Yes, Breslov, see my second post above...I realized...but the issue was addressed by several people as if it was puberty, so I misunderstood.

Mixed?? That's the worst part. I could see if it were just boys or just girls, But still, permission was needed!

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:46 am
mimivan wrote:
Yes, Breslov, see my second post above...I realized...but the issue was addressed by several people as if it was puberty, so I misunderstood.
!

:-D While I was writing it, you posted that. Sorry...

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:55 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:

In 5th or 6th grade my school did something similar in a mixed class, and no, it wasn't about s-x! It was a basic bio lesson where we learned about our reproductive systems and puberty. It was a totally tame class, and yet it was stuff that we needed to know at this time in our lives. Our parents didn't sign permission slips, at least not that I remember.

I think some people would rather make sure their children never know where their v@gina is, so they have to figure it out from a message board later in life after not having s-x correctly for several years.

I'm sure your friend's kids were only taught things that they should know at this point in their lives. I'm sure they weren't taught about s-x, condoms, and the like.

Fine, the school should've sent out permission slips, but now that it's overwith, find out if they even taught something so terrible to these kids. Chances are, they didn't.

Unfortunately, it seems that many parents are extremely neglectful about teaching their own kids about puberty. It's nice that a school actually realizes this and is doing it themselves.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:58 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Mitzvahmom wrote:

In 5th or 6th grade my school did something similar in a mixed class, and no, it wasn't about s-x! It was a basic bio lesson where we learned about our reproductive systems and puberty. It was a totally tame class, and yet it was stuff that we needed to know at this time in our lives. Our parents didn't sign permission slips, at least not that I remember.

I think some people would rather make sure their children never know where their v@gina is, so they have to figure it out from a message board later in life after not having s-x correctly for several years.

I'm sure your friend's kids were only taught things that they should know at this point in their lives. I'm sure they weren't taught about s-x, condoms, and the like.

Fine, the school should've sent out permission slips, but now that it's overwith, find out if they even taught something so terrible to these kids. Chances are, they didn't.

Unfortunately, it seems that many parents are extremely neglectful about teaching their own kids about puberty. It's nice that a school actually realizes this and is doing it themselves.
Yes Cheers right on defy!!!

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 11:12 am
We also had something at school, but it was far from graphic... I can tell you that among the few pupils who weren't playing with the tampons or half asleep, I doubt many were really informed... It was about puberty, not s-xual at all.
Much later in biology we learned about reproduction, but it started from the spermatozoid in v-gina without explaining how it got there (no relations mentioned, no semen mentioned...) lol
This was public school and co ed.

I also remember in high school someone came to give us condoms. They were used as water bombs... LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics