Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you make your cholent on Thursday...
1  2  Next

jkw

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 3:33 pm
do you make it in a pot on the stove and then transfer it to a crockpot for Shabbos?

do you make it in the slow cooker, refrigerate it overnight and then set on low for Shabbos?

what do you do?

Pressed for time, and want to make sure it tastes great! TIA

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 3:35 pm
I make mine late Thursday night (think close to midnight).

I set the crockpot to 'low' and it stays that way through Shabbos.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 3:38 pm
I put the beans and spices in the crockpot on low Thursday night. Friday morning I add the meat and potatoes. The beans are cooked and the potatoes arent overcooked, just the way the kids like to eat it before shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 3:41 pm
I prepare all the ingredients in the fridge Thursday night but only put it up to cook on Friday afternoon.

kb

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:04 pm
(When I'm organized) I cook up the beans around noon, dump the water, refill pot with clean water, and soak until kids supper time.

Then, I put in crock pot with barley, potatoes, and meat (and spices), on low, and leave it until Friday morning.

Friday morning I mix it, add frozen kishka and more water, and leave on low until shabbos morning when we eat it!

Beach Bum

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:15 pm
I make it Thursday evening cuz I work until late on Friday. I soak the beans Thursday morning and then Thursday evening I put everything in the crock pot and spice it up. I cook it on high overnight, and then Friday morning I turn it to low and add some water, and right before shabbos I turn it to keep warm. It tastes so much better when I make it Thursday night that even when I am off on Friday I still make it Thursday night.

livinginisrael

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:37 pm
I make it Thursday night and put it on low. My kids all eat it Friday afternoon

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:40 pm
livinginisrael wrote:
I make it Thursday night and put it on low. My kids all eat it Friday afternoon

my kids eat it all friday period Smile - even for breakfast

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:42 pm
your best bet is to put it together in the crockpot on thursday night in the fridge - assuming it has a liner - so that it's ready to pop into the chamber & cook - you can even do so just before shabbos

sped

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:20 pm
I used to put mine together at night and set it up with a timer on Friday morning to go on high for a few hours. When got home, I would turn it to low.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
I put the beans and spices in the crockpot on low Thursday night. Friday morning I add the meat and potatoes. The beans are cooked and the potatoes arent overcooked, just the way the kids like to eat it before shabbos.

When do you put the barley?

mom2dkay

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:01 pm
I cook it on the stovetop.
Put it into the fridge overnight.
Goes onto the crockpot base close to shabbos.

anonymom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:34 pm
Lately, I have been making it on Thursday afternoon. I cook it in a pot on the stove. Some people eat if with supper on Thursday. Then I put it in a deep 9x5 aluminum pan in the refrigerator. On Friday afternoon I pop the aluminum pan into the crockpot. What I love about this is no chulent pot to clean after Shabbos.

sunnybrook

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:49 pm
Doesnt the bottom kugel layer get all soggy? I don't get why you need it there on the bottom.

lovelife123

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:46 pm
Was wondering on this topic... Does anyone prepare the cholent all raw in a cholent bag in the fridge and just put it in on Fri morning?

lfab

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:18 am
lovelife123 wrote:
Was wondering on this topic... Does anyone prepare the cholent all raw in a cholent bag in the fridge and just put it in on Fri morning?

This is exactly what I do. Prepare everything in the bag Thursday night, put it in the fridge, and then either myself or my husband puts it up Friday morning.

intrigued

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:22 am
My Dh makes it all Thursday night. It goes straight in the Crock Pot.

chaya35

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:26 am
I put mine in the crockpot Thursday night on high. Friday morning I add kiska and meat. Friday afternoon I lower it a little.

MrsMarmite

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:51 am
I don't work outside the home but its nice to have one less thing to do on Friday so I always do it on Thursday too! I put everything in the crockpot (its small) including kishka and water and put it in the fridge. on Friday morning, I put it on and turn it to low.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:52 am
I put it together Thursday:
Potatoes, onions, spices, water.
boil beans and barley separately, rinse, and add.
Put in the fridge.

Friday morning add meat and place on crockpot base. (I never feel it is safe to leave raw meat soaking in there overnight, but I could be wrong).

Before shabbos I add a Potato kugel and\or khishkalach.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen