Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you make your cholent on Thursday...
Previous  1  2

pause

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:58 pm
I fully cook it on Thursday in a pot on the stovetop. Put it in the fridge when cooked.

Before the zman of Shabbas, I put it on the hotplate straight from the fridge.

debsey

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 1:16 pm
I make it in the crockpot's pot (I have the kind that lifts off) I put in all ingredients, spices, cover the raw cholent w water, put it in the fridge, and then put it up early Friday morning. My kids like to eat chulent erev shabbos!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 1:49 pm
I leave it in crockpot on low

jkw

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:44 am
Hi this is OP. Finally took all of your suggestions and made the BEST cholent I have ever made! Started soaked beans and barley Thursday night on high then low at bedtime. Friday am seared meat on high in frying pan then added with vegetables.
Wonderful!

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:52 am
Wow... did it really take 4 years to make your chulent???

jkw

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 1:12 am
Well you KNOW we like to have a long simmering time. 😉

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 10:19 pm
why do your cholents take longer than mine? I cook on high from about 7:00 am Friday until about 3:00 pm, stirring a few times. Then move it to warm and keep it there through Shabbos. Comes out perfect. Why do so many of you cook it on low all night Thursday?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 10:39 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
why do your cholents take longer than mine? I cook on high from about 7:00 am Friday until about 3:00 pm, stirring a few times. Then move it to warm and keep it there through Shabbos. Comes out perfect. Why do so many of you cook it on low all night Thursday?

It’s for the taste. If cooked right for extra long it can have a good flavor. Also, some people like to eat Chulent on Friday.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:22 am
jkw wrote:
Hi this is OP. Finally took all of your suggestions and made the BEST cholent I have ever made! Started soaked beans and barley Thursday night on high then low at bedtime. Friday am seared meat on high in frying pan then added with vegetables.
Wonderful!

Sounds great! I have been wanting to try this!

Can you please post your entire cholent recipe? I would want to give it a shot

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:35 am
Boy am I the outlier.

I make my cholent on Friday afternoon! I throw in barley, potatoes, water, and spices into the crockpot bag and turn it on low. Close to licht bentchen I dump in a package of raw/frozen cholent meat and cover the crockpot.

It's not ready until Shabbos day but it is delicious! Can't imagine cooking it for much longer than that! It seems that many people cook their cholent for 48 hours!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:59 am
ra_mom wrote:
I prepare all the ingredients in the fridge Thursday night but only put it up to cook on Friday afternoon.

Same, except I put it up Friday morning and switch it to warm when I come home.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen