Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you feed them candy for breakfast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 6:34 pm
I think that you are coming down too hard on ppl.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 6:46 pm
who motek?
which people?

faigie

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 6:57 pm
I can understand not wanting to feed your kids a steady diet of fruity pebbles, but most doctors agree that as a first finger food, cereals like cheerios are fine.
unless a person has a medical issue with sugar, a person can work with a moderate amount of it ..........and not get sick or heavy from it..........I never had it in my house growing up, but that was because the boxes were COSTLY!! have you ever noticed the difference in cost between a box of quick oats and a box of life cereal????
I think someone asked about rice cakes? we eat a lot of them ( I dont do well on wheat myself) and they are made from brown rice!!!! how great is that?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 7:24 pm
I remember the first time that I was in EY, I could not get used to what they ate for breakfast. Tomatoes, cucumbers, leben, but no pancakes or corn flakes. I was so used to sugar and starch that I was starving on what they fed me and the other Americans. We protested that we wanted our high carb American breakfast back. No cucumbers for us Americans!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 7:50 pm
Look, nobody's arguing that oats are'nt healthy or that cold cereals are healthier than them, just that when it comes to a choice of eating slightly less healthy or starving, the right choice isn't always the apparently healthier one, because like in the story of Nachum Ish Gamzu and the oni, by the time you've finished preparing your triple-sifted, ultra-healthy bran muffins sweetened only with natural applesauce, and nursing the baby in between, the poor man could be stretched out farchalisht or worse ch"v on the doorstep..... shock

Or like the mother commented after her ten month old baby nearly choked on a rice cake, I'd rather she eat the "unhealthy" (softer) cooky and be okay than eat the healthy rice cake and chas v'shalom. Exclamation

Of course it's great if you have your act together, and actually had prepared the muffins ahead of time, not to mention enough of them to actually feed all those ravenous kids. Very Happy But it's no mitzvah to keep your kids anorexically skinny because every morsel has to be 100% natural, that kind of food takes way longer to prepare, and is not always ready or available on short order, which is usually when kids need it.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 7:53 pm
lol tzen

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 8:52 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
...when it comes to a choice of eating slightly less healthy or starving

Why present it in an exaggerated, unrealistic manner?

You can buy a box of healthy cereal and kids can eat it with the identical effort it takes to buy candy cereal.

Who says it has to be a choice between choking on a rice cake or having a soft cookie? Confused

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 8:52 pm
you know eating/cookign healthy is expensive and sometimes difficult, yasher koach to all that do and for those that don't... I think reakfast cereal is an easy way to start.
as a tw I come from a shabbos cereal house.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 10:20 pm
I just checked the general mills cocoa puffs in my pantry and they ARE made with whole grain. Btw we happen to have cold sweet cereals for shabbos and have eggs, french toast, pancakes, grilled cheese , avacado sandwiches, salads ect . during the week

MovinMom

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 10:34 pm
I actually agree with motek
TZena Urena, you aren't going to make your kids anorexically skinny by feeding them healthy foods. You have to teach your kids to make healthy choices, not easy ones. T
hats why so many americans are fat, drivethru macdonalds is much easier than making a healthy meal.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 10:44 pm
eating healthier is as simple as buying that red pepper instead of a danish ... both cost money ... you choose which to eat ... and btw breakfast is the most important meal of the day ... fuels you for the day ahead ... eggs = protein = engergy = less groggy = easier day for all

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 11:09 pm
For those who asked for recipes:

Whole Wheat Muffins

(6-12 servings)

* 2 cups whole-wheat flour
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 cup mashed banana
* 1-3 tbsp oil (olive/canola/veggie/coconut will all work) or peanut butter
* 1 tsp. cinnamon
* 1 cup water
(You can also add things like raisins and/or nuts. Also, you can add a couple tbsps of maple syrup or sugar if it's not sweet enough for you.)

Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Next combine wet ingredients in a bowl and then mix well with dry ingredients. Pour into prepared muffin pans and bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes.

This recipe is very easy, but is not very sweet. I find that it just takes getting used to a less sweet taste. My kids love them.

My Whole Wheat Pancakes recipe is soooo easy.

2 cups of whole-wheat self-raising flour (if you don't have self-raising flour add 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. baking soda)
2 cups of soymilk or milk

That's it!

You can add a pinch of salt, eggs, oil, etc. to this recipe, but I find it's good just like this. Fast too. When I have it I add blackstrap molasses to this recipe. It is a sweetener, but it has a strong taste and is high in calcium and iron. Different types of whole grain flours can be subed for part ot all of the whole-wheat flour.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 11:12 pm
greenfire wrote:
binah - it is hard to believe anything you say with those donuts looking at me!!!

LOL I know. LOL

shayna82

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up eating whatever kind of cereal I wanted, and nothing bad has happened yet! there is nothing wrong with being healthy, but you dont have to drive yourself crazy. A bowl of cocoa puffs with milk is MUCH bettter than a candy bar. Most cereals now are made with whole grains, milk is great for you, and who says the vitamins don't get absorbed? Is that medical information?

its not that something bad will happen to you, its are you giving your body the best quality food you can give it? im sorry but sugar cereals, wether they are better than a candy bar or not, are bad for you plain and simple... yes, milk is great for you, but you dont need it with cocoa puffs to have a nutritious breakfast...

you cant compare a bowl of cherrios with raisins in it, to a bowl of any sugar cereal no matter what....

faigie

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 11:22 pm
.................still cocoa puffs are sooooooooooo yummy..............

shayna82

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 11:27 pm
I agree, they are yummy. but I know, that an egg breakfast or even a bowl of cereal will keep me filled without the wasted calories thta sugar gives you...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 12:04 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Quote:
Why do you call buying healthy cereals "driving yourself crazy"?

cause if your kids wont eat them...

LOL

So true. My dad sometimes buy bio stuff and dh and I don't want to touch it, but since he bought it for us it stays untouched... lol... for example, well... CEREALS LOL

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 12:06 am
southernbubby wrote:
I remember the first time that I was in EY, I could not get used to what they ate for breakfast. Tomatoes, cucumbers, leben, but no pancakes or corn flakes. I was so used to sugar and starch that I was starving on what they fed me and the other Americans. We protested that we wanted our high carb American breakfast back. No cucumbers for us Americans!

Israeli breakfast... definitely hard on me too. I have another meal like 2 hours after.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 8:27 am
I do agree with Motek though that if parents take a stand against junk for breakfast, at least when the kids are dependent on the parents to buy the food (as opposed to bochrim who do not live at home), the kids will eventually have to eat what is served.
In the Frugal Gazette books the author said that she kept her food bill down by expecting the children to respect what she prepared for meals. She did not allow them (she had a large family) to dictate what she would serve.
As far as bochrim go, much of the food will be whatever the yeshiva can get cheaply and we have to hope that our kids survive the white bread, white rice, corn flakes, overuse of luchshon, etc., as well as all the excess oil, salt, sugar, and other unhealthy stuff added to their food.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 8:33 am
Definitely food is yeshivot and sems is, according to what I' ve heard, extra unhealthy. It's not surprising that most sem girls I know/see are plump to really obese Sad But the yeshiva boys aren't fat, or I haven't noticed... weird
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics