Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Real food mm
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 5:51 pm
I like to give real food for mm. These r my ideas...what would you love to get? If u have any other ideas pls post. Btw amother because I told ppl in real life.
1. Soup...either potato leek or butternut blended with some homeade garlic knots
2. Salad with deli in it with water bottle
3. Challah and a grape juice
4. Challah and kugel
5. Challah and there different dips
6. Bagel with spread and orang juice

If u have any other great ideas please post andalso let me know what you would love to get.....

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
I like to give real food for mm. These r my ideas...what would you love to get? If u have any other ideas pls post. Btw amother because I told ppl in real life.
1. Soup...either potato leek or butternut blended with some homeade garlic knots
4. Challah and kugel

If u have any other great ideas please post andalso let me know what you would love to get.....

I would enjoy #2 first and #2 second Smile

Learning

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 6:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would enjoy #2 first and #2 second Smile

Me two LOL

November

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 6:27 pm
I love real food mm. Go for it. I won't always wash for motzi to eat a roll, but love the dips, salads, soup, kugel, etc.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 6:38 pm
Salad or bagel for me, although I agree that I'm less likely to eat it if I need to wash.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Sep 02 2018, 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:35 pm
Op here
thanks for the responses. Keep them coming.

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:43 pm
I've gotten marinated salads that were awesome as well.
Corn salad and sesame noodles.
I also have seen breadstick thinks that don't require washing with dips. that was super awesome!

abaker

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:20 pm
Homemade soup and garlic knots sounds amazing!

mandr

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:24 pm
As I wrote in the Postiv salad Mishloach Manos thread, I really am not a fan of perishable items, especially homemade ones. I never know if the person kept it refrigerated the entire time, or when it was made (I.e. when it will go bad). It's much safer to stick with baked items. Challah and grape juice sound perfect to me! I also like the idea of cake/cookie mixes. Add ingredients (e.g. flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, chocolate chips, etc.) in nice layers inside a mason jar or other decorative container. The recipient just has to add the wet stuff like eggs and oil and you're all set. It doesn't go bad like other foods do.

good times

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:58 pm
I'd go for #1 as well. sounds yummy.

elisheva25

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:58 pm
What do you guys think of home made French fries and ketchup ?? Yay or nay?

mandr

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:06 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
What do you guys think of home made French fries and ketchup ?? Yay or nay?

How would you distribute that? Wouldn't they be cold when the person got them? Would you stand by the stove all day frying those potatoes for people as they come to you?

abaker

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:35 pm
mandr wrote:
As I wrote in the Postiv salad Mishloach Manos thread, I really am not a fan of perishable items, especially homemade ones. I never know if the person kept it refrigerated the entire time, or when it was made (I.e. when it will go bad). It's much safer to stick with baked items. Challah and grape juice sound perfect to me! I also like the idea of cake/cookie mixes. Add ingredients (e.g. flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, chocolate chips, etc.) in nice layers inside a mason jar or other decorative container. The recipient just has to add the wet stuff like eggs and oil and you're all set. It doesn't go bad like other foods do.

I love the mix in mason jar idea! So cute! but doesn't the food have to be ready to eat to fulfil the mitzvah? (Correct me if I'm wrong ) either way you could add a chocolate bar and a little chocolate milk on the side so that way your all covered.

cbg

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:53 pm
abaker wrote:
I love the mix in mason jar idea! So cute! but doesn't the food have to be ready to eat to fulfil the mitzvah? (Correct me if I'm wrong ) either way you could add a chocolate bar and a little chocolate milk on the side so that way your all covered.

I would love to do this, but need exact instructions.
Send it with the actual baked product.
For example cookies, milk, cookie mix in a jar.

Also, is it possible to bake a cake in a Masson jar, anyone do this before?
If yes, instructions please.

5mom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:03 am
Cookie mix is cute but shalach manos needs to be ready to eat. Please check with your local rabbi.
Oops I see I cross posted with someone saying the same thing.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:06 am
Each year my friend passes out a jar of pasta sauce, a jar of pre cooked spaghetti, and a beer. Last year someone dropped off a hamburger in their mm. I thought that that was bizarre. I like that challah and dips are really appreciated. I actually like receiving grape juices, though.

Miri7

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:13 am
amother wrote:
4. Challah and kugel

One year a friend gave an amazing bagel with cream cheese, lox, the works and a pickle on the side. It was wrapped in white paper, sliced in half and served in a clear plastic clamshell with a "label" on the outside that they had printed up with their name like they owned a bagel shop.

It was really cute and I was so glad to get it! I was hungry and so happy to get some real ready to eat food that was substantial and not sweets and junk. It has gone down in history as my favorite MM ever.

Yum!

rosenbal

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:19 am
Ask your LOR about water. I've been told that water can't count as a "min" for shalach manos.

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:49 am
I think your stuff sounds yum! I like getting real stuff. I use it for lunch/supper after Purim.

Challah, I'm not so found of. I don't sell chumetz so if there's too much, it just ends up in the trash. I am not likely to pull it out of the freezer and eat it for snack.

Also, I think it's best to deliver perishables right away-as early as possible. This way it can go straight into my mouth or my fridge!

rachel6543

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:09 am
I love the soup ideas! I would totally eat those. And challah with dips. Yum!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics