Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Any info on "Ma'or" in Chicago?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 10:37 pm
Looking into it for one of my boys.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 12:12 am
Do you have any specific questions? My DH is friendly with Rabbi Millen, who runs it. I believe Rabbi Millen started it with the intention of being an alternative to Telshe, here in Chicago. Apparently, there have been a lot of 8th grade boys in the past few years who didn't neccesarily want to go to HS in Telshe, but also weren't ready to leave home and go live in a dorm, so Ma'or HaTorah was formed. As far as I know, it attracts the same yeshivisheh crowd at Telshe, but it's a bit warmer. If you have any specific questions, I can try to find out for you.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 1:00 am
We're a yeshivish-type family out-of-town who has a son who has fallen in with a more modern crowd. Nothing horrible (at this point) other than he thinks he wants to be "more modern". We are looking for a yeshiva where he's going to get "kiruv kirovim" iykwim , a bit more individualized attention and a place that he's not going to balk at going to. Skokie is a bit too modern for our family and Teshe he would probably go ballistic at the suggestion. So a number of people have suggested Ma'or. I really just want to know what kind of school it is, what kind of boys are there, what is the atmosphere like?

PS we are in the Midwest which is why we are looking to Chicago.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:26 am
Hmmm, it could be that it would be a good place. From what I understand, it's pretty close to the same type of families who would send to Telshe- maybe these families lean a bit more towards the "modern yeshivish" side of things? I know that the rabbonim try to make it a very warm, heimisheh atmosphere witha lot of personal attention. I will definetly ask around for you, but it might take a few days.

Also, I'm guessing that you already considered WITS and the new Chofetz Chaim HS opening in St. Louis? Your son would probably not go ballistic at the suggestion of either of these places, right?

Hatzlacha-- I will get back to you with more info in a few days.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
Hmmm, it could be that it would be a good place. From what I understand, it's pretty close to the same type of families who would send to Telshe- maybe these families lean a bit more towards the "modern yeshivish" side of things? I know that the rabbonim try to make it a very warm, heimisheh atmosphere witha lot of personal attention. I will definetly ask around for you, but it might take a few days.

Also, I'm guessing that you already considered WITS and the new Chofetz Chaim HS opening in St. Louis? Your son would probably not go ballistic at the suggestion of either of these places, right?

Hatzlacha-- I will get back to you with more info in a few days.

The new place in St. Louis only starts with next years 9th grade. I have a 9th grader this year. We are looking into WITS but he's not so interested.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 12:36 am
Hi, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Over shabbos, I spoke to a woman who had seriously considered Ma'or for her son (now finishing 10th grade). she has only heard good things about it. This is what she said: Basically, Me'or was an kind of a replacement for Brisk chicago-- the HS there closed down 3-4 years ago (I think). The families that send to Me'or are yeshivish. Most of the parents of the kids are serious baale batim, as opposed to working in Kodesh. The directors of Me'or are also trying to make sure that the secular studies are pretty strong, which Telshe DOESN'T have a good reputation in. There is a nice, serious group of boys there- definetly not "bummy" or "couldn't get into Telshe." this mother told me that the only reason her son did not end up there is because their family Rav was concerned that if the school folds afte a year (her son would have been the first 9th grade), he wouldn't have been able to get into Telshe at that point. But at this point, that wouldn't be a concern for you.

Also, note that there is no dorm in Me'or.

I hope this was helpful!!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 1:33 am
Thank you. That was very helpful.

momto4

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 10:15 am
I also heard only good things about the yeshiva. its supposed to be doing well and parents are happy with it. sorry I dont have specific info. for u. good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children