Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I was AMISH - AMA
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next

dr. pepper

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:17 pm
To second (or third) the motion...I'd easily read your book in a heart beat!

And I'm so sorry about your experience with that shul. As you can see by the outrage here, there are many communities/shuls that would be honored to have you join.

May you find peace and inner tranquility in all you do.
Thanks for answering the questions....it's super fascinating.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:23 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Thanks mamabear! I watched 12 minutes so far but we could learn a lot from them. Over a million viewers have watched this documentary so there must be many people out there who are either curious or who are desiring to be more family oriented and have greater faith in Hashem. It is also interesting that David is not pressuring his wife to have more children and is concerned how he would relate to more but is confident that if Hashem gives him more, he will rise to the occasion.
Theyre not on birth control. Spoiler:
Hidden: 

She's pregnant and has a baby later in the episode.

pause

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:25 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Theyre not on birth control. Spoiler:
Hidden: 

She's pregnant and has a baby later in the episode.

They were married for 11 years at the start of the filming and their oldest was 6. (But then the next was 5!)

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:27 pm
pause wrote:
They were married for 11 years at the start of the filming and their oldest was 6. (But then the next was 5!)

It took me 4 years to get pregnant with my first but then I had my second less than two years later, then no more. You never know

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
Do you still cook Amish foods? What do you make for Shabbos?

I love Amish foods! Shofly pie, chicken pot pie (the soup not the pie), spaezels, meat pies galore! Love them!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:32 pm
Orchid wrote:
Easily the most fascinating thread I've read on this site! Thank you amother.

Birth control? How does that work for Amish? Do they need the elders' permission?

We employ a don't ask don't tell policy, however most want lots of precious bopli!

b from nj

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
We employ a don't ask don't tell policy, however most want lots of precious bopli!

Bopli? Is that the Amish way of saying babies?

miyodea

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:

Guessing that means children?

Do Amish women get typical prenatal medical care? Do you have community midwives or do you see medically trained doctors/midwives? How did the community address infertility?

This is a fascinating thread! Thank you so much for sharing with us.

rachelbg

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:42 pm
Just chiming in to say that this is by far the most fascinating thread I've read here. I've had a secret obsession with the Amish for years, so it's a real treat to hear from you. If you put out a book, no doubt I'd be reading it as soon as I could!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:49 pm
I guess infertility/miscarriages happen by them too - and I wont be surprised if they dont get the relations thing correct right away, since they are so sheltered. (I'm not saying it in a negative way. It can happen in insular frum communities too.)

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:52 pm
southernbubby wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_dWkwwyT4

Here is another excellent video with a very surprise ending which I won't spoil.

Did you watch Part 2--Leaving Amish Paradise? Efrem starts to look rather different and I do not mean his beard and clothing. He is looking less like a normal and sincere individual disillusioned with the hidebound ways of his community and more and more like just another loony, bordering on dangerously loony, J***s freak.

pause

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:57 pm
southernbubby wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_dWkwwyT4

Here is another excellent video with a very surprise ending which I won't spoil.

I am still only at the beginning but ...this sounds just like ex-chassidim!

pause

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 10:07 pm
amother, how does one become a bishop/elder/community leader? Does one have to be part of a certain lineage or family? Do the other members vote you in or give some form of approval?

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 10:24 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I guess infertility/miscarriages happen by them too - and I wont be surprised if they dont get the relations thing correct right away, since they are so sheltered. (I'm not saying it in a negative way. It can happen in insular frum communities too.)

However--they live on farms and have ample opportunity to observe farm animals of all kinds. So completely clueless they are probably not.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:09 pm
pause wrote:
amother, how does one become a bishop/elder/community leader? Does one have to be part of a certain lineage or family? Do the other members vote you in or give some form of approval?

First the members vote in a secret ballet. Next a bible per man is placed on a table and 3 slips of paper are put inside three different bibles. The ones who pick the bible with slips go on to the next round. Then it goes 2, then 1. The klast one is the new preacher. It is called casting lots and the one who wins has pulled the lot.

It is an unpaid position

Petra

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:13 pm
Amother,
How come you were not baptized? At what age is one baptized? Perhaps I missed it if you explained it already.

How does a new pastor come to the community? Do community members have a say on the pastor if the pastor makes too many waves? (How does one become a pastor?)

Do you find yourself bored living an "english" life with all the technology and everything at one's fingertips and nearly instantaneous?

Ever want to live in an "intentional" Jewish community? From what I know, this is an observant community kinda like a kibbutz except the kids stay with the family. Organic farming is often the main focus.

Petra

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:14 pm
I see you just answered some of my questions in the post above.

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:45 am
What an awesome thread! Thank you, Amother!!! I have been interested in the Amish for many years. We have take a couple trips to Amish Country in PA and just loved learning and visiting there. So fascinating. They are a beautiful people. As a religious Jew, I can relate with much of what I see.

As well, I interpret the Mennonite as sort of "Reform" versus the "Old Order" which I consider more "Orthodox/Frum." Just as Reform Jews are more liberal than Orthodox Jews, yet still Jews, the Mennonites are more liberal than the Old Order Amish, but still Amish.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:11 am
BrachaBatya wrote:
What an awesome thread! Thank you, Amother!!! I have been interested in the Amish for many years. We have take a couple trips to Amish Country in PA and just loved learning and visiting there. So fascinating. They are a beautiful people. As a religious Jew, I can relate with much of what I see.

As well, I interpret the Mennonite as sort of "Reform" versus the "Old Order" which I consider more "Orthodox/Frum." Just as Reform Jews are more liberal than Orthodox Jews, yet still Jews, the Mennonites are more liberal than the Old Order Amish, but still Amish.

surprisingly, no. The group that was known as Mennonites (after Menno Simons, a 16th-century former priest who united many anabaptist groups in the early days of the movement) was splintered by one Jakob Amman who felt the church should be stricter. among other things, he felt that shunning should be more extensive than it was. His followers split off from the rest of the Mennonites in the late 17th century and later became known as Amish. So if anything, Amish are a spinoff of Mennonites and not vice versa. It just seems that way because Mennonites are more liberal than Amish, and we tend to think of liberality as being newer.

both Mennonites and Amish are Protestants of the Anabaptist variety. Anabaptists practice adult baptism, unlike other sects that baptize in infancy.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 6:55 am
I agree that OP should write a book! Like the book about the mountain family that was such a hit.
Page 10 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics