Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I was AMISH - AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 11  12  13  Next

mirror

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:19 pm
How did you become frum?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:21 pm
Is there any truth to the story that hershychocolate has a tiny ou camouflaged on some packages due to Amish pressure

When I visited they didn't seem to be antisemites. Was it just money
In private what do they say about Jews

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I do mean unintentional inbreeding but I was trying to have a bit of tact, but I guess I used the wrong word.

It also looks to me, by the few that I have talked to, and also from what I have read, that many Amish struggle to maintain a healthy weight, just like other Americans. They love to cook and they are not low cal cooks.

marina

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:29 pm
how do the Amish view the English? Do they think they are misguided and will burn in hell? Or just different? Or somehow lower than them? This is such an interesting thread.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:30 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
How did you become frum?

My mother's parents have always been and we would visit and I would be exposed on holidays and when we would visit, which would be often since we loved in the same town. I was fascinated by their beliefs and how they were like us but not like us.

After my father died, I was 17, we left the community due to pressure, our new minister and my mother sort if gave up. I think she was grieving and just didn't have the heart to fight a losing battle. My dads parents tried to keep us there but we moved in with my moms parents. I became more deeply involved with Judaism, I was disillusioned by the Amish and how they turned on us. It took two years and I converted.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:31 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Is there any truth to the story that hershychocolate has a tiny ou camouflaged on some packages due to Amish pressure

When I visited they didn't seem to be antisemites. Was it just money
In private what do they say about Jews

Never heard of this. Must be fake

ETA until the rabid preacher came in the scene when I was 16 Jews weren't really mentioned in the general public. Of course my house was different, but even the people who knew ma's story never said a word negatively.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:34 pm
marina wrote:
how do the Amish view the English? Do they think they are misguided and will burn in hell? Or just different? Or somehow lower than them? This is such an interesting thread.

Yes we believed the English were misguided and looking to things other than what was important. We felt we were not really better but more like more like we are less distracted by the world and able to stay closer to G-d than those distracted people. Moist of the Amish I know were concerned for those people, wanting them to know G-d the best way they could.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:37 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It also looks to me, by the few that I have talked to, and also from what I have read, that many Amish struggle to maintain a healthy weight, just like other Americans. They love to cook and they are not low cal cooks.

Yes! Lol! This is true. Most Amish I know are thin until about age 40 then everything goes south. However I personally have a gene that prevents plague from sticking to my arteries, my dad also had it.

Amish eat lots of carbs. Lots.

monseychick

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
Really? They must have been in danger of losing their community to do something like that! I was always told not to engage the English because they will be rude or try to make me watch tv or something equally crazy. To be fair when I was in the community there was a huge problem with English rapes on the Amish. It was a scary few years until they finally caught the guy.

http://www.popsugar.com/love/A.....91252
http://amishdarkside.blogspot.......html

You mention here English rapes , but how does community deal with rape and molesting that occurs internally among the Amish.

Last edited by monseychick on Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

BlueRose52

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:54 pm
Formerly-Amish-amother -
Thank you so much for sharing all these details. It's fascinating!

BlueRose52

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:57 pm
Is there anything about Amish life that you miss?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:07 pm
Do you have brothers and sisters? Do they identify as Jewish, Amish, other...?

How did you meet your husband? Does he also have an unusual background?

Have you considered writing a book about your experiences?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:21 pm
BlueRose52 wrote:
Formerly-Amish-amother -
Thank you so much for sharing all these details. It's fascinating!

I am so glad everyone is enjoying it, it is so much fun to tell!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
I am so glad everyone is enjoying it, it is so much fun to tell!

You could get together with posters like Maya and each person who underwent an extreme life change could write a chapter in the book.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:29 pm
monseychick wrote:
http://www.popsugar.com/love/Amish-Girls-Expected-Forgive-Rape-1791252
http://amishdarkside.blogspot.......html

You mention here English rapes , but how does community deal with rape and molesting that occurs internally among the Amish.

I have read about this in the past and I grieve for that poor woman. First for the leaders to do something they need to know it is happening. I have seen abused youngsters pulled from homes and placed with loving families . those things shake the whole community, but we are not blind to the fact it does. We believed that if a person in the community had s-xual perversions they would be banned. Then the authority would he called in this weird round about way so the leaders weren't contacting the outsiders directly. Like the preacher would take the abused child to the doctors and then give the doctor a signal (when my mother was involved the leader would say 'this one needs some special attention). Then the doc would know, find the evidence and call the police. Weird I know but it was our way

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I do mean unintentional inbreeding but I was trying to have a bit of tact, but I guess I used the wrong word.

Sure you didn't mean unintentional incest? Incest is illegal; inbreeding is not.

loveandpeace

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:21 pm
I find the Amish fascinating. I recently watched this video of some teens on rumshpringa was funny and interesting

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:25 pm
zaq wrote:
Sure you didn't mean unintentional incest? Incest is illegal; inbreeding is not.

I meant inbreeding. Cousins accidentally marrying cousins. Yes it happens sometimes.

ETA...maybe I mean incest (the zexual contact between those too closely related to marry. Inbreeding is the production of offspring in closely related people. Not sure which I mean. Pretty sure it is inbreeding but not all these unions produce children. We are talking cousins here. If so!some knows better than I chime in.......

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
Never heard of this. Must be fake

Hershey's leaves the (U) off packages destined to be sold in Arab countries. The Amish have nothing to do with it. And Hershey's is not the only brand with a very very discreet (U). Ever try to find it on a jar of Smucker's jam or Newman's Own salsa? Bring a jeweler's loupe.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:50 pm
zaq wrote:
Hershey's leaves the (U) off packages destined to be sold in Arab countries. The Amish have nothing to do with it. And Hershey's is not the only brand with a very very discreet (U). Ever try to find it on a jar of Smucker's jam or Newman's Own salsa? Bring a jeweler's loupe.

Oh really? The u would be a benefit to them as well indicating there is no pork or objectionable ingredients in the food. I am sorry I said it was fake.
Page 4 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics