Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of a close family simcha
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 2:21 pm
Dress for me 350- to rent
Dresses for pre-teens 300- to rent
Suits for boys 300
Shoes for all 500
hairdos on day of wedding 60-
dress for little girl 100- to rent
sheva brochus/oifruf dresses for girls min. 165 each
ETC.....

Is it normal?

Tefila

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 2:46 pm
Amother you can have a dress made custom for that price or less if you find out about students who work and sew in design, even a regular seamstress!

Dress for little girl you could buy new on ebay for less by butterflykx I think it's called. Go to clothing and type party or pageant and some r or not tznius but could be made easily tznius for $50.00incl shipping total, gorgeous.
I shop there many times and have not been disappointed yet!!!

Shoes where are you buying them? shock

I actually think those prices you quoted r not normal, shop around and think outside the box Tongue Out

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 3:22 pm
I rented a gorgeous gown for $50 for a sister-in-law's wedding.

are you saying that the TOTAL amt. for suits (plural) was $300 or did you pay $300 each? shock

Unlike a rented gown which is used once, a suit can be worn until it wears out or is outgrown, so I don't think mony spent on a suit (that is needed) is an extra expense.
Ditto for shoes. If they're needed, you would buy them anyway. If they weren't needed, don't buy them!
Who says fancy hairdos are needed altogether (I also find some of them quite silly in that the main attraction is on the back of the head which does NOT come out in pictures!)

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 3:27 pm
Why not try out a gemach? or find out if any freinds have gowns the same size

Tefila

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 3:31 pm
Quote:
Ditto for shoes. If they're needed, you would buy them anyway. If they weren't needed, don't buy them!

But for $500.00 shock . I get quality shoes for my kids on sale and even if I have to buy 7 pairs shabbos shoes it doesn't even come close to that amount!!!!
and
Quote:
(I also find some of them quite silly in that the main attraction is on the back of the head which does NOT come out in pictures!)

Ditto there, Very Happy Unless you will be viewing there backs more, whats the point Confused
Suits for boys and men r pricey but well worth it, more so the nthe dresses which how can one wear again Rolling Eyes

queen

Post Fri, Jun 17 2005, 1:28 am
Depends where you live......... in NY for example, if one is not careful it is very easy to rack up such bills.

When my younger sister got married I rented a gown which cost more than my sister- the kallah's gown. BUT my parents knew it was important that I looked good, but more importantly- felt good, and were willing to pay whatever it cost.

There are however MANY gown gemachs (if you are NY accessable!) that unless you are a hard size to fit.......... you could find something reasonable and within your budget.

p.s. I met my husband 3 months after her wedding!

chavamom

Post Fri, Jun 17 2005, 2:05 am
I second the 'have it made' idea. At my mother's suggestion, I had my wedding gown made to order after giving up finding something from a store that wouldn't have had to be altered to the hilt (plunging necklines, or backless gowns with no sleeves were all the rage at the time). It wound up costing a fraction (and I mean a small fraction) of what it would have cost to buy anything and I got exactly what I wanted this way.

Sounds like NYC prices to me. I don't spend anything like that 'out of town', but I shop in outlets and sales. I bought my girls very shtoddy dresses for my son's bar mitzvah (not until the end of the summer) after the spring 'holiday' and got them on clearance. I got 3 matching dresses for the cost of what one had cost originally.

I know a number of large families here that have traveled to Chicago to make use of 'simcha gemachs' (or had things sent from NYC gemachim) when they have made weddings. A family with 6 girls and they all managed to find dresses in the right color scheme to wear for the wedding.

queen

Post Fri, Jun 17 2005, 7:40 am
chavamom, as with all things, if one is careful and has time to shop around, and buy off-season as you suggest, one could save a lot of money..... just like you did - even in NYC.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 17 2005, 8:48 am
NY prices for sure. And teens clothing is even more expensive than my own. Also peer pressure makes teen clothes a whole issue.

chavamom

Post Fri, Jun 17 2005, 8:51 am
queen wrote:
chavamom, as with all things, if one is careful and has time to shop around, and buy off-season as you suggest, one could save a lot of money..... just like you did - even in NYC.

Yes, I know that there are 'metziahs' to be had in NYC as well. That was sort of a separate point. Wink

"Out of town" things are just cheaper in general - well, most places.

queen

Post Fri, Jun 17 2005, 9:42 am
Out of town can be cheaper but at times have less of a selection.

lucky

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 8:35 am
[quote="Motek"]I rented a gorgeous gown for $50 for a sister-in-law's wedding.

Where in NY can I rent or buy a reasonably priced gown for my brothers and sisters wedding? the weddings are 7 weeks apart.

My sisters are renting for 350- shock
Do I have a better option?

Tefila

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 10:13 am
Crown Heights has a gemach for 75.00-100.00 rental however you must have it drycleaned to bring it back Exclamation

daisy

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Dress for me 350- to rent
Dresses for pre-teens 300- to rent
Suits for boys 300
Shoes for all 500
hairdos on day of wedding 60-
dress for little girl 100- to rent
sheva brochus/oifruf dresses for girls min. 165 each
ETC.....

seeing the sparkle in your children's eyes as they dance at the wedding - priceless....For everything else, there's mastercard

(oops, just remembered that "heimish" rental stores actually DON'T take mastercard) sorry, couldn't resist Wink

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 11:39 am
Daisy, Very Happy LOL Very Happy LOL Very Happy LOL Glad you couldn't resist!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 10:36 am
I also have a bar-mitzvah coming up that I cannot begin to think how we will pay for it, it's in middle of the summer which complicates matters, since everyone is away. I'm wondering about pushing it off till after the summer. And no, there's no mastercard, and the gemachs are not an option, since we still owe them from other major expenses we've had.

Motek

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
since everyone is away

that's great! fewer guests, fewer expenses Smile

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 11:37 pm
buy your dresses on e-baby & fix them up
just double check w/ your dress maker that they can fix up a particular dress

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 3:57 am
In Gibraltar things are pretty expensive but I have never spent that much money especially on shoes.
When I lived in NY I found clothes to be much cheaper you just need to know where to look.
I remember one hag where I bought 2 dresses for 200 dollars.

anyway, mazal tov and I hope you guys had a good time.

Post Thu, Jun 30 2005, 1:03 pm
some more $ spent:
babysitters!
my good friend got married monday night - since I stayed for the WHOLE wedding I needed a babysitter for 6 hours, went to sheva brachos last night another babysitter for 3 hours. next week I have a different wedding and sheva brachos! so all that comes to at least $70. and good luck to me finding a babysitter smack in the middle of the day on July 4th! (hope they won't make me pay time and a half LOL )
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics